Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuttynutter123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge...
I have been offered a MacBook A1181 2.1ghz with 1gb ram 120gb 13.3inch with webcam for £330 (basically the MacBook and 150 for a spare iPad 2 I have)
Anyway... Is that a good deal? Also what sort of upgrades will I be able to do to it? Ram? Any OSX? Etc
Is there anything I should look out for?
Thanks in advanced :)

Edit ...it's a 2009 model

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
I'm not sure if its a good deal however the ram is officially supports 4GB but unofficially supports 6GB. Install a SSD and this will be fast. The only thing thats a real bummer is the video card so most games out there will not work at all. The video card is the older GMA.

By the way the computer is a late 2008 model.

Nuttynutter123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
What would you think the MacBook is worth then?
I won't be playing games on it at all (got iPad for that)... Will probs use it for photoshop and iTunes...oh and streaming to iPad...will it be ok for that??
Thanks for the help :)
Oh one last thing will it run the latest OSX? And how much would ram upgrade be?

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
What would you think the MacBook is worth then?
I won't be playing games on it at all (got iPad for that)... Will probs use it for photoshop and iTunes...oh and streaming to iPad...will it be ok for that??
Thanks for the help :)
Oh one last thing will it run the latest OSX? And how much would ram upgrade be?

The tough thing is that on ebay no one has sold yet for 300 pounds. Lots are asking for 400-500 pounds. It sounds like an okay deal. If you need it then buy.

The video card should be fine for your needs.

The latest OSX will work. And because it is a 64 bit machine the new Lion OS will run on it as well if you choose to upgrade.

6GB of ram will cost approx $130US and 4GB will cost $60US.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
Ouch... I just realized how expensive ram is in the UK. 6GB will cost you 180 pounds and 4GB will cost you 50 pounds.

Nuttynutter123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Oh one other thing...do all MacBooks including the one I am getting have the multi touch track pad???

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
It sounds like you're looking at the same model I got from a guy off the net. Mine is black however; you're not going to have the multitouch trackpad. Although I would love to have that, they keyboard commands make moving around just as fast.

The graphics card for games isn't that good and restricts you to playing somewhat old games. (Plays Halo 1 for PC just fine though so that's a plus)Since you have an iPad you dont' have to worry about that (as you stated).

If you do decided to get it, you should definitely upgrade the RAM. Mine was upgraded to 4gb and I love the damn thing; the computer hardly ever slows down; plays 720 and 1080p video without hickup.

The only slowdown I get is when I'm running Windows XP in parallel desktop (so I'm running either XP or 7 on top of X) and am doing something intense; other than that it's smooth.

But for that price.... iI guess it would be a good deal? Granted you'd have to upgrade a few things but if you don't mind doing that I'd go for it; cheaper than mine was :/

Nuttynutter123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
well i ended up getting it in the end, and am really happy with it!

i upgraded the RAM to 4gb before i even used it so dont know what difference it made but it certainly seems to run nicely.

It only has leopard on it so i need to get a copy of snow leopard (is that worth it by the way)

as said before i wont be playing games on it anyway so that doesnt bother me.

Do they stream well enough as well?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
well i ended up getting it in the end, and am really happy with it!

i upgraded the RAM to 4gb before i even used it so dont know what difference it made but it certainly seems to run nicely.

It only has leopard on it so i need to get a copy of snow leopard (is that worth it by the way)

as said before i wont be playing games on it anyway so that doesnt bother me.

Do they stream well enough as well?

That's great man, and that's good you upgraded the RAM, aside from running 7 /XP in a separate window, I never get slow-down.

As for streaming what do you mean? If you mean streaming video, then yea they do amazing. 720p/1080p through youtube and the "HD" setting on sites like Vimeo and other sites works flawlessly.

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA

I'd say yes. It's not too expensive (although moreso in pounds than USD), and some software is beginning to drop Leopard support.

Don't rush too fast, though, if you don't want to/can't spend the money at the moment. Leopard still works, and it should at least until Lion hits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.