PDA

View Full Version : iPad component cable

cdownton
Apr 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hi
I bought an unbranded iPad video out component cable from eBay. It works great on my other tv because it has video in plugs in the format video-audioR-audioLeft. However, my main television has video in plugs in the format YbPbPr with L and R audio in as before.
Do i need to buy another cable or can I split video to component?
Sorry if thats a stupid question!

Mr.C
Apr 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Hi
I bought an unbranded iPad video out component cable from eBay. It works great on my other tv because it has video in plugs in the format video-audioR-audioLeft. However, my main television has video in plugs in the format YbPbPr with L and R audio in as before.

It seems like you have actually bought a composite cable which is the red, white and yellow only connections. This is not the same as component which is red, green, blue, red and white. You cannot split or interchange these cables as they send signals in a different way. You will need to buy an iPad specific component cable for the other TV. If the TV has a VGA or HDMI connection you could buy a specific adapter and cable for that. HDMI would be the best option if you have can iPad 2. That is what I use and bought the official digital HDMI A/V adapter from adapter and use it with a standard HDMI cable. Your other TV should also have a separate set of composite connections to allow you to use the same cable. Bear in mind composite is standard definition where as component, VGA, and HDMI are high definition.

songmeesay
Apr 16, 2011, 09:20 AM
Bear in mind composite is standard definition where as component, VGA, and HDMI are high definition.

Component video for the iPad will only give you 480p.

Mr.C
Apr 16, 2011, 09:26 AM
Component video for the iPad will only give you 480p.

Ahh! OK. Not sure if the OP has an original iPad or iPad 2.

cdownton
Apr 17, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks! I have iPad 1. I will go and buy the composite cable then, makes sense.

xraytech
Apr 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hi

http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/svideo.html