PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 unlock w/ Gevey - many questions

privileged2000
Apr 16, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hi,

I purchased my iPhone in Japan, canceled service (Softbank), now I am back in the US.

I am iOS 4.2.1, baseband 03.10.01, model MC605J

As of this writing I am confident there is no software unlock for my phone. I want to buy a Gevey Sim, but don't really understand how I could use it.

You put the Gevey Sim -- with your sim -- in the phone, then unlock it.

Could I still do this with my Softbank sim, given that I am no longer in Japan and no longer have service with them?

If not, can anyone think of any way I could use this phone to get service in the US?

Thank you very much!

privileged2000
Apr 16, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the response but you definitely cannot unlock my iOS and baseband with software.

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/forum/jailbreak-iphone-4-4-2-1-baseband-03-10-01.html

You can jailbreak -- not unlock.

LapsangSouchong
Apr 16, 2011, 09:31 AM
I would NEVER use the Gevey approach.

macingman
Apr 16, 2011, 09:32 AM
There is a new way of unlocking iPhone's where you pay a company $175, send them your IMEI number and they unlock your iPhone for you. The unlock is permanent no matter how many times you upgrade iOS/baseband too.

privileged2000
Apr 16, 2011, 09:53 AM
I saw that, it looks like it came out in within the last day. However I can find a Gevey on ebay for $15, so about $150 cheaper than the IMEI method, which doesn't really seem guaranteed to last*.

So does anyone know if Gevey would work for me with my Softbank SIM card when I already canceled service?

What if I took the Gevey to T-Mobile? I imagine they disapprove and would not want to help me get it working that way, but figure someone out there must have some experience than me and am hoping I could get some more solid info...

*"...Apple can well identify and disable this type of unlocking..."
http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/iphone-4-imei-unlock.html

TheMacBookPro
Apr 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
You put your (foreign) SIM card over the hypersim and put both in your SIM slot. Should work.

Your SoftBank SIM has nothing to do with this.

BTW- not sure what's with the aversion to using the Gevey unlock but pulling it out just puts your phone back to square 1- it's not like it can damage your phone or anything.

privileged2000
Apr 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
MacBook Pro, thanks a ton.

The foreign sim in this case would be T-Mobile?

In other words, I need an active T-Mobile SIM before I can unlock?

So I take my iPhone and Gevey into T-Mobile, sign up for service, get T-Mobile SIM, then try to unlock it?

victorvu
Apr 16, 2011, 12:14 PM
This is the instructions in case you didn't read it

1: Turn off your iPhone 4, put the carrier’s SIM card and GEVEY unlock SIM together in the GEVEY metal SIM tray, then insert them to the SIM card lot.

2: Turn on your iPhone 4, wait for the “SIM Welcome menu” to pop up, then select “accept”.

3: Now a “no service” message will show up. Ignore it, and wait for the signal bar appears on the top left corner.

4: Dial 112 and hang-up within 2 seconds.

5: Turn on the Airplane mode and then turn off right away. Your iPhone will show SIM Failure and then No SIM Card Installed.

6: When the “No SIM Card Installed” message shows up, turn on the Airplane Mode and turn it off right away again. The SIM Failure message will show and the signal will show up after a few seconds. Your iPhone 4 should now be unlocked

After all the steps above, if there is still no signal, power off your iPhone, switch it back on and repeat all the steps from the very beginning.

Not to discourage your attempt to use gevey sim to unlock your phone, But you have to understand what risk you take. You have to dial emergency # 112, which forward to 911 while you're in the States. Calling 911 without legitimate cause is illegal, and you might face consequences. You might get away with it by end the call before it could connect. But if does get connected, and you get into trouble with the law, or the network, you're on your own. Just remind you that you have to do the whole unlock process wherever you reboot your phone.

In my case, I had no trouble unlock my phone using gevey sim. But I only do it while I'm travelling out of country. Thus, no dialing 911 here for me.

privileged2000
Apr 16, 2011, 12:51 PM
I read the directions several times. I am confused in the first sentence --

1: Turn off your iPhone 4, put the carrier’s SIM card [...]

"the carrier's SIM card" has to be active, right? In this case, I need an active T-Mobile SIM card?

So I go to T-Mobile with my locked phone, sign up, get the T-Mobile active SIM card, still cannot use my phone, go home, cut the card, then begin with Gevey step 1?

victorvu
Apr 16, 2011, 01:33 PM
I read the directions several times. I am confused in the first sentence --

1: Turn off your iPhone 4, put the carrier’s SIM card [...]

"the carrier's SIM card" has to be active, right? In this case, I need an active T-Mobile SIM card?

So I go to T-Mobile with my locked phone, sign up, get the T-Mobile active SIM card, still cannot use my phone, go home, cut the card, then begin with Gevey step 1?

yes. you will need an active SIM to use a phone anyway.

privileged2000
Apr 16, 2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks, I will try it that way!

TheMacBookPro
Apr 16, 2011, 03:00 PM
MacBook Pro, thanks a ton.

The foreign sim in this case would be T-Mobile?

In other words, I need an active T-Mobile SIM before I can unlock?

So I take my iPhone and Gevey into T-Mobile, sign up for service, get T-Mobile SIM, then try to unlock it?

What you do is:

1) Waltz into a T-Mobile store
2) Sign up for service, get SIM card (you don't have to tell them you plan on using an unlock card)
3) Activate it in a normal phone first
4) Cut it to microSIM size (if necessary)
5) Put said microSIM on top of the unlock card
6) Insert the 'combo' into the iPhone
7) Wait for it to receive service. Reboot and/or enable/disable airplane mode if necessary
8) Make a call to any number. I use hypersims to unlock my Japanese phones to use in Hong Kong (they operate in the same fashion) and have never needed to call an emergency number to get it working. Any number should do.
9) Set up your APN/MMS settings for internet/MMS if necessary

You should not have to repeat any of the above instructions if you reboot/pull the card out. Obviously the SIM will have to be active (otherwise how will you make calls and such?).

That's all there is to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

privileged2000
Apr 21, 2011, 07:39 PM
FWIW I got this working. Signed up for service (I used T Mobile), got SIM, cut sim in cutter, cut a bit more off the upper right so it fit nicely over the Gevey. Had some trouble at first but after I got in a good location could call up and dial the emergency number as per Gevey instructions. Now working nicely, very please.

$60/mo unlimited web, 500 min calls, no contract.

nukem170
Apr 21, 2011, 07:50 PM
I think the BEST option for you right now is to sell your phone (eBay perhaps) and buy another unlocked or T-Mobile iphone. That grevy sim sounds like a lot of trouble.

privileged2000
Apr 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
Figuring out exactly what to do was a bit of a pain, but it wasn't expensive or hard, and now I have the phone working how I want.

Your advice to sell now makes no sense, other than having written the word "best" in all caps and red, which I really can't argue with.

LapsangSouchong
Apr 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
Figuring out exactly what to do was a bit of a pain, but it wasn't expensive or hard, and now I have the phone working how I want.

Your advice to sell now makes no sense, other than having written the word "best" in all caps and red, which I really can't argue with.
You're quite possibly breaking the law. And you're doing something not smart. His post was pretty good.

anonymouz1828
Apr 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
FWIW I got this working. Signed up for service (I used T Mobile), got SIM, cut sim in cutter, cut a bit more off the upper right so it fit nicely over the Gevey. Had some trouble at first but after I got in a good location could call up and dial the emergency number as per Gevey instructions. Now working nicely, very please.

$60/mo unlimited web, 500 min calls, no contract.

So the Gevey sim card for $15 on ebay worked?? Send me the link.

I think that there is another type of sim card hack that is simple than Gevey sim card.

princealfie
Apr 22, 2011, 10:11 AM
You're quite possibly breaking the law. And you're doing something not smart. His post was pretty good.

Breaking the law by having an unlocked iPhone?

SirStrumalot
Apr 22, 2011, 10:29 AM
Breaking the law by having an unlocked iPhone?
I'm pretty sure he was referring to having to dial 112. But if it's not an emergency number in your country, it shouldn't be a problem.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 22, 2011, 10:38 AM

Breaking the law?

If you're talking about the 'call emergency number' bit- that part was unnecessary. Just calling a normal number would have worked fine.

SirStrumalot
Apr 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
Breaking the law?

If you're talking about the 'call emergency number' bit- that part was unnecessary. Just calling a normal number would have worked fine.
Are you sure about this?

chiefpavvy
Apr 22, 2011, 01:10 PM

Seriously? Lawls. :D :D :D

alukado
Apr 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
So the Gevey sim card for $15 on ebay worked?? Send me the link.

I think that there is another type of sim card hack that is simple than Gevey sim card.

Some china based site are selling it at lower price with free shipping.

http://www.slickgate.com/gevey-turbo-sim-unlock-for-iphone-4-ios-41-42-43_p990.html
$7.99

http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.Gevey_Turbo_SIM_Card_for_iPhone_4G_Unlock_4.1_4.2.1_4.3-37903
$12.34

gooddeal
Apr 23, 2011, 07:21 AM
Some china based site are selling it at lower price with free shipping.

http://www.slickgate.com/gevey-turbo-sim-unlock-for-iphone-4-ios-41-42-43_p990.html
$7.99

http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.Gevey_Turbo_SIM_Card_for_iPhone_4G_Unlock_4.1_4.2.1_4.3-37903
$12.34

Get on ebay for $5.99/ free shipping with the extra protection from ebay.

anonymouz1828
Apr 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
Get on ebay for $5.99/ free shipping with the extra protection from ebay.

Thanks for the links!!! gevey ($5-$15) seems more affordable now.

Zermelo
Apr 23, 2011, 12:51 PM

There are a lot of paranoid posts like this from people who have NEVER used this device.

PLEASE, PLEASE, besides your baseless speculation, point to a single INSTANCE of someone either getting into trouble by dialing 112 and hanging up within 2 seconds (and using the Gevey sim) or having their sim card banned.

If YOU are too scared to use it, then fine, but for those who understand what their doing your baseless speculation is worthless.

privileged2000
Apr 25, 2011, 08:37 AM
MacBookPro, you give good advice but you are the only person I have ever seen suggest a normal number would work. I am pretty certain that is not the case.

I cannot find it now but I read a comment somewhere that explained, better than I am about to, that when you turn on your phone with the gevey sim you do not yet have a phone number; this is why the only number you can call is emergency, and they cannot call you back. Abusing the emergency number is certainly bad, but ideally you only do it once, and hang up after 2 seconds, before voice connect. Somehow in the process of connecting to the emergency number the card/phone acquires a network ID, then it becomes a properly working phone and you can call regular numbers.

[end to MacBrookPro]

Abuse emergency service = bad, but it is risk and guilt I can live with in comparison to the benefit of getting my phone working. You may feel differently but at least try to post useful, accurate information rather than vague statements like "you're doing something not smart."

LapsangSouchong
Apr 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
There are a lot of paranoid posts like this from people who have NEVER used this device.

PLEASE, PLEASE, besides your baseless speculation, point to a single INSTANCE of someone either getting into trouble by dialing 112 and hanging up within 2 seconds (and using the Gevey sim) or having their sim card banned.

If YOU are too scared to use it, then fine, but for those who understand what their doing your baseless speculation is worthless.I didn't suggest you'd get in to trouble. You probably won't. You SHOULD, but no, you most likely won't suffer any ills. Does that make it right to make fraudulent calls to 911? Of course not. Is one young person making a fraudulent call to 911 going to cause any real harm? I can't say. However, you're not the only person using this exploit now are you? The same logic applies to littering. One person doing it? Not a lot of direct harm.

Do it if you'd like, but don't pretend it's "right". It can't be justified, only rationalized.

ps: "scared"? Don't be absurd. Just a little less self centered perhaps.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 25, 2011, 10:01 AM
MacBookPro, you give good advice but you are the only person I have ever seen suggest a normal number would work. I am pretty certain that is not the case.

I cannot find it now but I read a comment somewhere that explained, better than I am about to, that when you turn on your phone with the gevey sim you do not yet have a phone number; this is why the only number you can call is emergency, and they cannot call you back. Abusing the emergency number is certainly bad, but ideally you only do it once, and hang up after 2 seconds, before voice connect. Somehow in the process of connecting to the emergency number the card/phone acquires a network ID, then it becomes a properly working phone and you can call regular numbers.

[end to MacBrookPro]

Abuse emergency service = bad, but it is risk and guilt I can live with in comparison to the benefit of getting my phone working. You may feel differently but at least try to post useful, accurate information rather than vague statements like "you're doing something not smart."

Never failed for me, but eh, whatever you like.

A smarter solution for the skeptic/paranoid would be to buy a cheap unlocked Nokia, put your SIM in that, receive signal, make one call to any nubmer to confirm that it's working and put that card in the locked phone with the hypersim/unlock card.

That, too, has never failed for me.