PDA

View Full Version : Sewed my own slipcase

thibaulthalpern
Apr 16, 2011, 04:55 PM
Well, i've found my solution: sew my own iPad sleeve!! I was browsing different stores to see what would be suitable for my iPad and I came upon a dollar store that sold some Sham-Wow. Took it home and sewed it into an iPad sleeve/slipcase. Works great and it even has enough padding. I slip it into my Tumi handbag and off I go! Much better than paying Waterfield Designs $20 to get their suede slipcase for what is actually an extremely easy sewing job. In addition, the sham wow colour is close to the orange of my SmartColour.

kalex
Apr 16, 2011, 04:56 PM
Nicely done. Got any pictures?

Tom G.
Apr 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
Photos or you never did it! :D

thibaulthalpern
Apr 16, 2011, 09:55 PM
Haha :) How do I post? I need to figure this one out. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow. It's very late now.

Antfer
Apr 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
Haha :) How do I post? I need to figure this one out. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow. It's very late now.

Ok in on the wait.

thibaulthalpern
Apr 23, 2011, 02:11 PM
Okay, so finally here are the pictures :-) I know, long time coming.

The slip cover with the red ribbon handles around it was sewn about a week ago. The other slip cover was sewn just today and is a better sewing job after I worked out some of my poor skills :) The case with the red ribbon fits the iPad 2 with the SmartCover on. The case without the red ribbon handle just fits the iPad 2 alone. Unfortunately, that was not what I originally intended. When I measured the later case, I forgot to measure it with the SmartCover attached. By the time I was done sewing, I realised I made a mistake. Oops! Oh well :)

I also sewed a slipcase for my husband's GPS device and that one is even better. The open edges are folded done so it's thicker.

I made all of this using two $1 Shamwow from the dollar store.

I used backstitches for this project. And by the way, I don't even have sewing as a hobby but have sewed a few pillows and buttons in my life ;-)

L2gbrian
Apr 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
Okay, so finally here are the pictures :-) I know, long time coming.

The slip cover with the red ribbon handles around it was sewn about a week ago. The other slip cover was sewn just today and is a better sewing job after I worked out some of my poor skills :) The case with the red ribbon fits the iPad 2 with the SmartCover on. The case without the red ribbon handle just fits the iPad 2 alone. Unfortunately, that was not what I originally intended. When I measured the later case, I forgot to measure it with the SmartCover attached. By the time I was done sewing, I realised I made a mistake. Oops! Oh well :)

I also sewed a slipcase for my husband's GPS device and that one is even better. The open edges are folded done so it's thicker.

I made all of this using two $1 Shamwow from the dollar store.

I used backstitches for this project. And by the way, I don't even have sewing as a hobby but have sewed a few pillows and buttons in my life ;-)

Nice job Martha Stewart!!! Cant beat that for a DOLLAR!!!

thibaulthalpern
Apr 23, 2011, 02:40 PM
Nice job Martha Stewart!!! Cant beat that for a DOLLAR!!!

LOL
You bet! If I knew where to get big pieces of wool felt, I could make an even nicer slip case.

reebs
Apr 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
Wow nice! Wish I could sew!

krnboy503
Apr 23, 2011, 03:31 PM
Can you make me one Martha??

:)

donnaw
Apr 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
Nice job! If you have a Hobby Lobby or some such type of store around they usually carry fabric. I did the same thing with black felt for a netbook I had. It worked very well. And an added plus for you is that the ShamWow will double as a screen cleaner/wipe.

PS - when I made mine I doubled the fabric to give it a bit more cushion.