Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qbaser

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Edinburgh
Excuse my inexperience but im running windows 7 via bootcamp on my macbook pro. does it use extra CPU by using bootcamp?

Also, can i run an SSD drive (crucial 300 real ssd 6Gbs) using a FW800 bus powered case?

Thanks
Al

Nov 28, 2010
located
Running Windows via Boot Camp does use the CPU in the same way as running Windows on any other computer - natively. It does not add usage to the CPU just by running Windows via Boot Camp.
And yes to the "SSD via FW" question. SSDs are just a storage device like HDDs are, they are just faster, but they can be used in the same ways as HDDs can be used with.

Last edited:

qbaser

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Edinburgh
SSD performing one third speed of internal 5400 drive?

I'm running Windows 7 via bootcamp on my my Macbook Pro 17" (nothing against Mac OS just my preference).

I've just added an external SSD to my system, via firewire 800 cable. I'm almost in tears at the speed test results. It's just one third of the speeds im getting with my 5400rom internal drive :( I'm running Cubase music software and was hoping to run big apps and audio data on the SSD but it seems that wont work.

I'm wondering have I forgotten to do something on the set up of the drive? I figured it would just be plug and play and work really fast?

The drive is an OCZ Veretex 2 120 Gb ssd.

Any help people can offer would be gratefully received,, thanks

Al

Koinu

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
p.s. the SDD enclosure is a Datatale ATS11N.

Greetings,

Your SSD (and even your internal hard drive) are designed to be connected to an eSATA bus, which has a transfer rate (theoretical maximum) of 3 or 6 Gbps (that's 3 or 6 Gigabits per second, depending on the type of eSATA bus). In order to use the drive externally, you have to put it in some sort of enclosure -- a USB, Firewire or eSATA enclosure (if the Mac supported external eSATA -- which it doesn't). A Firewire 800 bus has a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 800 Megabits per second. So, your experience is about right -- 800 Mbps times 3 = 2.4 Gbps -- about the speed of the internal hard drive connected to the eSATA bus.

Speed isn't just about the device itself -- it's about everything in between the device and the processor. Think of it like driving a superfast car on a winding road. The car is capable of driving very, very fast, but the road conditions don't allow you to go very fast at all...

With the new Macbook Pros, the Thunderbolt port is capable of 10 Gbps -- that's a real step up -- but you will have to wait a bit for enclosures and cables that will take advantage of that level of throughput. Connecting to that port will remove the bus speed as the bottleneck.

S

qbaser

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Edinburgh
Hey thanks for that fast reply.

I had no idea running my SSD via FW800 enclosure would be slower than the crappy 5400 standard Apple macbook HDD. Would I be better running everything of the 5400 drive then? Seem the SSD was a total waste of money for what I want to do? :(

Thanks
Al

qbaser

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Edinburgh
Me again. OK. So I've now done a full format on the SSD and it seems to be fast on the speedtest, but still seemingly about 20 Mbps slower than the internal drive. (see screenshots).

I note that the SSD seems more constant though, with 0.4ms access time, compared to the 17 Ms access time on the 5400 internal drive.

So based on these results, which drive should I use for my cubase audio stuff now?

Sorry, Im not up to speed on the technology, just looking for experienced advice. thanks again

Al

Attachments

• HDTune_Benchmark_DataTaleATS11N_HDD.png
    HDTune_Benchmark_DataTaleATS11N_HDD.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 139
  • HDTune_Benchmark_TOSHIBA_MK7559GSXF.png
    HDTune_Benchmark_TOSHIBA_MK7559GSXF.png
    28 KB · Views: 132

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
@ The OP

You might wanna consider selling your current SSD and buying a express card SSD instead, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003U4BHI2/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1303305117&sr=8-1
They are fairly pricy, but its worth it!! The express card slot has a theoretical max throughput of 4.8 gbit/s. Plus that SSD will literally be like a internal one. It wont stick out the side, and no cables like the one you have now. This is a link to youtube of someone who installed one of these. Just to guve you an impression of the speed :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5irgXU_5XUE

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
Me again. OK. So I've now done a full format on the SSD and it seems to be fast on the speedtest, but still seemingly about 20 Mbps slower than the internal drive. (see screenshots).

I note that the SSD seems more constant though, with 0.4ms access time, compared to the 17 Ms access time on the 5400 internal drive.

So based on these results, which drive should I use for my cubase audio stuff now?

Sorry, Im not up to speed on the technology, just looking for experienced advice. thanks again

Al

Why don't you switch the drives? Put the SSD inside the MBP and put the 5400 HDD in the firewire enclosure. You'll get the speed and still have storage. http://www.ifixit.com has instructions on how to open stuff up. It should be very easy to do. P.S. You'll just have to switch the data on the drives too, so you have your OS on the SSD and storage stuff on the HDD.

qbaser

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Edinburgh
Well thanks very much for that valuable experience. I know much more than I did yesterday!

OK so I've opted to install my SSD in the macbook and reformatted it with 10.6.6. Mac OS. (instead of running windows 7).

I've installed Cubase 6 and all my plugins and I'm totally stunned (in a good way) at the performance. Im running several CPU hungry VST instruments, with only 8% on the CPU meter!! Incredible!

I've just ran a hard drive speed test and average is about 255Mbps! OK so I've only got about 65Gb left on the drive, however, that's way plenty for my cubase projects. By the time I need more storage I expect SSD 512Gb drives will have plumetted in price so I'll upgrade and swap over the drives then. I can easily work with what I have for now, very happy! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

Al

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.