Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitjv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I should receive my iPad 2 in about 3 weeks. Although I am a veteran Mac user, the iPad 2 will be my first iOS device. So, I thought it might be prudent to buy a book/manual on using the iPad 2. I am not interested in a remedial book that spends a lot of time on things like: "how to turn it on", "where the buttons are located", etc. I suspect that I will be able to easily figure out all of the basics based on the owners' manual & my Mac experience.

I am looking for a book/manual that deals with the less obvious so that I can get up to speed a.s.a.p. I would appreciate any recommendations. In fact, maybe it would be preferable to consult online resources (?). Thank you for your thoughts.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
iPads don't come with owner's manuals -- in fact, can't remember the last iDevice that came with one! Anyway, I recommend that when you get your iPad, you download iBooks from the app store, and do a search for "iPad." Or if you prefer a physical book, you could go to Amazon and search for "iPad" in their books department. Either way, you'll find plenty of selections to choose from.

drpotter2807

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
once you get your ipad, you can download ibooks (free) and down load the user manual from apple and there is another user guide that is free. I tried to download the userguide directly from apple and for some reason my pc won't load the pdf ( even though I have adobe pdf reader)

the free books from ibooks are:

Ipad 2 Starter Guide (Macworld)

Ipad 2 User Guide (Apple)

kitjv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Thank you. In fact, I have already downloaded the iPad 2 manual, as well as AppStart for iPad (free). The more I think about it the less likely it appears that I will get a lot out of a independent print book (e.g. Missing Manual, etc). Thanks again.

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
iPad 2 manual

Evidently those that just pick up the iPad and just start playing haven't played far enough. That works but for real newbies there is hope.

Once you get yours launch Safari. In the bookmarks drop down you will find the iPad manual. Every individual item, program, setting or what ever is expalined. At least it is in my iPad1, can't imagine they would take it out. You will of course have to be connected to the internet.

Enjoy your iPad, you will never let yourself be without it.

kitjv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Thank you, Penguin. I wasn't aware of that. I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.