PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Fiction Games (Zork): Does anyone still play?

Santaduck
Mar 4, 2005, 08:33 PM
Just wanted to take an informal poll here at MR...

Does anybody play the interactive fiction games, either the old Infocom classics, or newers ones such as from the IF freeware community, or commercial titles such as Future Boy?

Also with the Hitchhiker's Guide film coming out, there might be some interest in people playing the HHGG Infocom game (available via Java, or emulation), which Douglas Adams actually co-wrote with Infocom's Steve Meretzkey.

Anyways, I expect the answer to be a big no, but I might be surprised =)

comictimes
Mar 4, 2005, 09:23 PM
I have played them (well, just zork actually). They're really fun if you actually get things done, but I was never able to get which commands it would understand, etc. So I could never get really far...

bousozoku
Mar 4, 2005, 10:21 PM
I've played all of the Infocom games plenty and have an 8-bit machine in the other room just to play such games.

I still love the puzzles.

Santaduck
Mar 4, 2005, 10:27 PM
I have played them (well, just zork actually). They're really fun if you actually get things done, but I was never able to get which commands it would understand, etc. So I could never get really far...

Also, the important ones are simple, and have abbreviations:
* Directions (n s e w nw ne se sw u d ) including up & down. Also in & out.

* "i" or "inventory" to see what you have. Also use get XXX or drop XXX.

* "l" or "look" is important to see a room. You can also examine objects using "l": "examine book" is same as "l book" or "x book". You can also just say "verbose" or "brief" to toggle room descriptions so you don't have to say "look" every time.

More complex things? It's easy english:
Verb + noun, or variations on that:

Open door
Unlock door with key
Unlock closet door with red key
Push button
Santaduck, follow me

OnceUGoMac
Mar 4, 2005, 10:44 PM
Yeah, my gf found Zork I, II, III available on the channel four website. She loves those games and still has herCommodore 64.

Santaduck
Mar 5, 2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah, my gf found Zork I, II, III available on the channel four website. She loves those games and still has herCommodore 64.

ahhhh that reminded me I found a link for those three games too for mac & pc, all ready-to-go (instead of an emulator + game or interpreter + zcode):
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/download.html

Just this week I found Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well (yes, Douglas Adams co-wrote this one with Steve Meretzkey of Infocom):

It's a Java version playable in your browser, so I don't know how save/restore works:
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

jtgotsjets
Mar 5, 2005, 04:00 PM
i never liked the first 3 zorks much, i'm not big on dungeon crawling and mapmaking.
i liked zork zero a lot (still working on it).

every once in awhile, i download a big bunch of modern IF. one of my all time favorite is Ad Verbum. i highly reccommend it. its very puzzle based, and small enough that you don't need to make a map. all of the puzzles are language based (at one point, you can only use words beginning with a certain letter), and its absolutely inspired and brilliant.