PDA

View Full Version : Deploying iPhone app

Cub
Apr 17, 2011, 05:21 AM
Hi all
I have made my iPhone app finally on Xcode and now I want to share it.
For a school tec assignment I made an iPhone app and need to insert it onto my website can I do this without applying for the paid apple developer program as it is for a school assignment and I rarely use Xcode, there will be about 1-5 people accessing it.
Is this possible? (Do I just make it so the user drags it into their apps folder)
If not would anyone be willing to add it to their adhoc page?
Thanks everyone for the advice
David

primedime
Apr 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
Quick question.... why would you need to insert your iphone app on a website? iphone apps only run on iphone, ipad and ipod touch..... I have an account and would be able to help you get at least an ad-hoc version in your hands.... let me know!

Cub
Apr 17, 2011, 06:20 PM
Hi
Basically just link it on my website, so a link on my web page (for assignment) taking the user to a page (adhoc etc) or simply just a file that they can download to put the app on their iphone or iPad.
Thanks for offering to put it on your adhoc page, you shouldn't have to keep it very long and I will let you know when you can remove it to save up space?
Thanks
David

dejo
Apr 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
If primedime is going to using standard ad-hoc distribution, they will need you to provide the UDID of each of the devices you want to deploy to. Can you provide that?

Cub
Apr 18, 2011, 07:31 PM
Hi
Sadly no as I do not know which teacher will be marking it, it is there any way I can get it so that the user just downloads it and can put it in their itunes?
Even something I can embed in the app itself to make it possible to do this I am fine with doing.
Thanks
David

ClutchThese
Apr 18, 2011, 11:25 PM
i wouldn't mind submitting it for you. However, it's up to apple to publish it. If they feel your app does not have enough "usability" they will not approve it.

To get your product on the app store, you need a paid developer account.

Additionally, to even test your app on your devices you need a paid subscription.

wlh99
Apr 19, 2011, 12:32 AM
If primedime is going to using standard ad-hoc distribution, they will need you to provide the UDID of each of the devices you want to deploy to. Can you provide that?

I imagine it is in theory possible to have a web page ask for the UDID, then provision it and sign the binary before download. Although that would probably be as much of a programming project as the application, and I'm sure violates some part of Apple's policy.

Cub
Apr 19, 2011, 02:27 AM
Hi
I am perfectly fine with someone else submitting and I will let you know when you can remove it, do you know by any chance how long it would roughly take until accepted to the app store?
The app is basically a UIWebview and the code is up above (couple of posts ago), would you think this would be knocked back or aproved?
Thanks everyone for the support
David

dejo
Apr 19, 2011, 09:33 AM
...is there any way I can get it so that the user just downloads it and can put it in their itunes?
With standard ad-hoc distribution, no; you need the UDID. It might be possible with a jailbreak approach, but then you would have to rely on that unknown teacher having jailbroken their device, which you probably don't want to consider.

...as I do not know which teacher will be marking it...
Having someone submit an app to the App Store on your behalf (with no guarantee of when or even if it might be approved) just so some unknown teacher can grade your assignment seems like way too much work, with some major obstacles. What exactly is the teacher grading anyways? What kind of class is this? Maybe just make arrangements for when the app is ready to be reviewed, the unknown teacher contacts you and you let them run it through its paces in the simulator.

Cub
Apr 19, 2011, 06:19 PM
I know this sounds silly but it is for food tech and we made a website etc and I made the app for it (website) I don't mind doing the simulator idea can I make it so when I click on the app icon on my site it loads up the simulator?
Really so I can show my work.
Thanks for the help
David

dejo
Apr 19, 2011, 07:27 PM
I know this sounds silly but it is for food tech and we made a website etc and I made the app for it (website)...
Wait, so is this app an native iOS app or just a web app?

Cub
Apr 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
Wait, so is this app an native iOS app or just a web app?

It's a UiwebView app so I think it may be a web view app. Does this make it easier to do?
Thanks
David

dejo
Apr 20, 2011, 11:32 AM
It's a UiwebView app so I think it may be a web view app. Does this make it easier to do?
Almost definitely. Take the HTML,etc. from the app and put it on your web server. Then just use Mobile Safari to navigate to that web-app. You can even add a shortcut to it via the "Add to Home Screen" option.

Cub
Apr 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hi all
Ok a member sugested using dropbox and make it so that I can show the app in simulator, now how do I make it so it is a link so I can embed a link on the site to take the user to dropbox to download the files onto the computer like photobucket?
Or even better could I embed the simulator on the site, is this possible?
Thanks
David

EDIT:

Don't worry just fixed it all then so I can run the simulatir at school also included some screen shots too.
Thankyou everyone for your support
Will let you know what maks I get for it
Thanks again
David

Cub
May 4, 2011, 03:49 AM
Hi everyone
As promised I received my marks today and got a full 100% the markers were very impressed. Worked great in the simulator too.
Thanks everyone for your support
David :D