PDA

View Full Version : PSD to HTML conversion Site Grinder 3 Alternative?

boohoowoofoo
Apr 17, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hola!

So I have recently been interested in converting my site into a wordpress website for my graphic design portfolio. I recently learned that I can design a wordpress template in Photoshop and export it into HTML. I already know how to do this for regular website, but my issue is how do I carry it over to wordpress?

I saw a free app for PC, but it is very limited in its nature. I also found this awesome software for mac called Site Grinder 3. http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder3/featuretour.php

My issue is not only is it super expensive, but If I already know how to carry over PSD to HTML, how come I cannot find a tutorial or anything explaining how I do the same for wordpress?

Also, does anyone know of an alternative plugin or software I can use that will make this process easier?

The other thing I wanted to know is if it is possible to use text inside photoshop and have it convert to text in dreamweaver when I export as html? Site Grinder 3 says it can do that, so I figured maybe there was a cheaper way to do that as well.

Thanks guys :)

designguy79
Apr 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
My guess as to why there are not any tools or people talking about how to automate it is because the majority of the pro's in the industry create their HTML and CSS by hand (i.e., in "code view" in Dreamweaver, or using a text editor like Coda or TextMate)

The main benefits is clean, streamlined HTML and CSS that the developer is familiar with so putting in the WordPress "hooks" is fairly straight-forward (again, a manual "programming code-level" process)

The code that Photoshop spits out works for a mock-up/concept, or just to get by in a pinch, but overall it is not easy to work with.

If I am off-base, I hope someone corrects me because I, too, would be interested in tools that actually do a good job creating WordPress (or CMS) templates.

HTH,

~ Jeremy

P.S. If you are going to jump in to the code, be sure and start on this page: http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development