Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
One of the case mfrs here has contacted me and asked me to post a question to you all that would use the case for business, which is the main way I use it.

Here are the assumptions - used for corporate/legal/board meeting situations, this would be your "dress case" - and before some jerks here start wailing about cost - realize Coach makes briefcases and legal pad/portfolios for $500 - 1000 that sell well. So let's assume these cases would be $125 - 200 - perhaps $250.

So how would you design it? My requirements would be:

1. true leather in conservative cordovan/black/Coach-like colors
2. burnished frames in various shades/hand rubbed like furniture,lacquer finishes like MB/BMW interiors
3. possible CNC machine billet alum frame for tech companies
4. stylus holder
5. internal pocket
6. possible card holder
7. magnetic latch
8. several cloth interiors - scotchguarded
9. engraving of corp logos on front if requested

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
Bookcase for business

Glen,

Some excellent suggestions on a bookcase for business. Let me add or reemphasize:

--best materials and workmanship
--slot for a visible business card
--pay particular attention to the grain of the leather
--side snap instead of elastic band (similar to Treegloo's new kinetic latch)
--embossing for an individual's initials

In addition, I suggest a trip or two to stores that sell similar types of cases aimed at this clientele to check out styles, colors, etc. e.g. Franklin-Covey. (I've had a couple of theirs.)

chrsb

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
MI
60229_blk_a1

I use one of these Coach portfolios, I slip my iPad in the left pocket. I would like to see something like this but for a iPad. In place of the paper pad the ipad would go. It needs to have the following-

1. Stylus, pen holder
2. Be large enough to hold normal paper (8.5x11) for handouts in meetings.
3. I personally like the ones that do not cover the bezel.
4. Fine leather not leatherette or plastic.
5. It doesn't necessary have to have a paper pad.
6. I like the zipper enclosure but could live without.

I did just order this case
http://www.noreve.com/brand/Apple/product/Housse_cuir_Apple_iPad_2_Tradition.html

It seems professional and practical. I looked at the Vaja but this one had the side pocket and I liked all of the choices in leather the Noreve has.

Jamie37211

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
All very good suggestions

One of the case mfrs here has contacted me and asked me to post a question to you all that would use the case for business, which is the main way I use it.

Here are the assumptions - used for corporate/legal/board meeting situations, this would be your "dress case" - and before some jerks here start wailing about cost - realize Coach makes briefcases and legal pad/portfolios for $500 - 1000 that sell well. So let's assume these cases would be $125 - 200 - perhaps $250.

So how would you design it? My requirements would be:

1. true leather in conservative cordovan/black/Coach-like colors
2. burnished frames in various shades/hand rubbed like furniture,lacquer finishes like MB/BMW interiors
3. possible CNC machine billet alum frame for tech companies
4. stylus holder
5. internal pocket
6. possible card holder
7. magnetic latch
8. several cloth interiors - scotchguarded
9. engraving of corp logos on front if requested

I would pay for a premium case such as you are describing. It would have to be of impeccable quality and workmanship. Your suggestions actually bring this to mind, but the one you describe might have more options.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/no21-portfolio-ipad#

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The case maker is intersted in making a case, not a portfolio...I am sure Coach or someone will make a full leather one soon. There are interested in a frame type case that is just a derivation of the portenzo/treegloo/P&Q design now -with simple business items like a flap and card holder,not a huge "carry all" type thing.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
business bookcase

I really like the layout of the Griffin but the covered bezel and flap are a turn off for me

You are right. The case should display the iPad in all its glory. No bezel covers. Also the color of the Col. Littleton doesn't seem quite business-like but that may be my monitor or my personal preference.

Jamie37211

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
I really like the layout of the Griffin but the covered bezel and flap are a turn off for me

I agree with you to an extent. In a casual, "normal" environment, I like to have as little of my iPad possible covered. However, in the vein of elegant, high-end cases for business meetings, I am more flexible on this.

As for leather color...well, I wasn't putting this case forward as an exact example of what these folks might be looking to manufacture, but as one example of what's out now. Leather color, hardware, etc. would need to be available as an array of options. It was more of an example of what I consider to be the type of fit and finish, and quality of workmanship, I'd want.

chrsb

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
MI
The case maker is intersted in making a case, not a portfolio...I am sure Coach or someone will make a full leather one soon. There are interested in a frame type case that is just a derivation of the portenzo/treegloo/P&Q design now -with simple business items like a flap and card holder,not a huge "carry all" type thing.

Oh well then, it's already being done by portenzo, the 76 or 33.5. It does lack the card holders, stained wood and flap. These type of cases do not portray a "Bussiness" aura to me though. Just my opinion.

To further expand, these type of cases are not practical for business. They lack function. When I go to meetings I normaly have things printed out (contracts, specs, ect...) these will not fit in a normal iPad case. Once again just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Jamie37211

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
I love this...well then, it does not meet the criteria....I'm not asking who makes one, I'm asking what you would like to see....

buller?

We know that. We were simply giving you tangible examples of cases that show at least some of what we'd like to see...which what you requested. Our opinions.

route42nj

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
A few of my musts:

> Interior pocket for stationary.
> Interior slots for business cards.
> Possibility of a custom print of your company logo somewhere on the inside.
> Holder for stylus and/or pen.

I'd also like options for the exterior color and materials used. I think the suggestions you initially had on this sounded good. I also like the idea of using some styling cues from German or other high end car interiors. That sounds like it could be nice (if it looks anything like my co-workers 535xi).

I hope this idea actually comes to fruition. While I do like my Treegloo case, its practicality for use for meetings/conference, etc isn't great.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
A few of my musts:

> Interior pocket for stationary.
> Interior slots for business cards.
> Possibility of a custom print of your company logo somewhere on the inside.
> Holder for stylus and/or pen.

I'd also like options for the exterior color and materials used. I think the suggestions you initially had on this sounded good. I also like the idea of using some styling cues from German or other high end car interiors. That sounds like it could be nice (if it looks anything like my co-workers 535xi).

I hope this idea actually comes to fruition. While I do like my Treegloo case, its practicality for use for meetings/conference, etc isn't great.

10-4 - the pocket on the octavo is probably all that can fit and still keep it a case for the ipad. It will hold 8-10 sheets folded in half - as in a multi page inter-house memo....or contract...

there is a $1050 option on BMW's 760 called "Piano black" and is the same process used to finish a Steinway Baby Grand....that could be interesting....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.