Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Alright, so my dad has kept on telling my mom that he will fix her kitchen drawers for the past two years now.

I am absolutely sick and tired of hearing the same BS "blah blah blah my back hurts blah blah blah I'm not feeling well" so I decided I am just going to end the suffering and fix them myself.

The problem with the drawers are simple - they stick out. When you close them, they roll open and stay that way. We have tried just simply taking everything out and seeing if it's just too much weight, but it does the same thing.

The contraption is simple, it is just a drawer that rests on wheels on a flat long piece of metal.

How can I fix these drawers, educated population of MacRumors?

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
The "track" (flat long piece of metal) of the drawer has probably sunken down over time. I'd take the side which is at the front of the drawer of this and raise it up a little bit and see what happens.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Put a little rubber self-adhesive speed-bump, just in front of the back wheel, when the drawer is closed.

You should be able to do this from below, as far as positioning.

Or you could measure twice, stick-em once.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
You can:
- level the tracks
- increase the friction on the glides/sliders/wheels
- install magnets to hold them shut

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Stop listening to all these ignorant posts. Slap a piece of duct tape on it and move on.

Cole JM

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Sounds like you got junky tracks. They make some that have a dip in them for the wheel to fall into. Take them back?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Get some surplus superconducting magnets from an MRI facility that's going out of business. Install inside the cabinets. When activated, it should suck the drawers back in with enough force to drive the flatware through the back of the drawers, also pulling the nails or screws out of the drawer sides, in a large explosion of metal and wood splinters. This will be an adequate excuse to replace the cabinets completely. Then you can resell the MRI magnets, or keep them around for doing tricks like levitating small pets with just the metal tags in their collars.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
as the saying goes there's only two tools a man ever needs:

:D
wd-duct-tape.jpg

you need the tape in your case.

(I would get new tracks btw and install them, I don't really think you can fix them otherwise)

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Pull the drawer, look at the rails and where the screws are. Hopefully the ones in the front are in the vertical slots. If they are loosen them, remove the screws from the middle of the rail, and raise the fronts slightly. A torpedo level helps. (Cheap one is all that's needed.) You may have to put the center screws in a different hole.

If they are not in the slotted hole, put them there and make adjustments as needed and then thighTen her down. Get er done. Don't blame your dad.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.