PDA

View Full Version : Wake On Lan

metec
Apr 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
It seems that Lion doesn't fully wake the computer with WOL. When I send a WOL packet, the keyboard lights up but the screen does not come on. This would be fine except that I can't connect using VNC. I'd have to press a button on the keyboard or click the mouse/pad until the screen comes on and then I can connect. This makes WOL useless.

This also seems to be the case when you press a keyboard button. The keyboard lights up but the screen does not turn on. If a press something again, the screen will come on. If I click the mouse instead, the screen comes on right away.

Has anyone been able to use WOL?

MacRenegade
Apr 21, 2011, 05:39 AM
I've noticed the same thing and this behavior is preferable for me. Hopefully they'll add a preference (most likely not through the GUI) for the desired behavior.

PurdueGuy
Apr 21, 2011, 03:29 PM
I've noticed the same thing and this behavior is preferable for me. Hopefully they'll add a preference (most likely not through the GUI) for the desired behavior.

Just curious, how is something not turning on, when you explicitly press a key or send a WOL packet preferable?

pablos93
Apr 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
Just curious, how is something not turning on, when you explicitly press a key or send a WOL packet preferable?

Because when you send a WOL packet you are not in front of your computer ( you are probably going to use SSH or VNC), so you don't need the screen to turn on. :)

PurdueGuy
Apr 21, 2011, 05:32 PM
Because when you send a WOL packet you are not in front of your computer ( you are probably going to use SSH or VNC), so you don't need the screen to turn on. :)

But the OP said you can't connect via VNC unless you press a key on the physical keyboard.

pablos93
Apr 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
I didn't read that, sorry.
Then it is probably a bug

Wasabisjors
Jul 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
Just installed OS X Lion on my new iMac, and I can't seem to Wake my iMac using Logmein Ignition either.
Also waking the iMac, for streaming of e.g. video (using Airvideo from my iPad/iPhone) doesn't work.

Any updates on this problem yet? (Didn't have any problems waking my iMac under Snow Leopard).

Wasabisjors
Jul 22, 2011, 03:22 AM
Any solutions yet?

Europa13
Jul 22, 2011, 04:52 AM
Just installed OS X Lion on my new iMac, and I can't seem to Wake my iMac using Logmein Ignition either.
Also waking the iMac, for streaming of e.g. video (using Airvideo from my iPad/iPhone) doesn't work.

Any updates on this problem yet? (Didn't have any problems waking my iMac under Snow Leopard).

I'm having the same problem with iTeleport and Air Video on Lion.

While I was on Snow Leopard, I could wake my iMac from sleep (when it automatically fell asleep after the set duration of time) over WiFi and 3G with iTeleport. When my iMac was manually put to sleep, this would not work. However, I found a workaround for this - opening the Air Video app (on WiFi or 3G) would wake the computer, the screen would come on, and then I could close Air Video and open iTeleport and connect with VNC.

Since installing Lion, I can't wake my iMac over WiFi or 3G whether is was put to sleep manually or automatically. I can hear it turn on when I try to wake it over WiFi, but the screen stays dark and it won't connect. I have to press a key on the keyboard. After I do that, the screen turns on and I can see iTeleport Connect connect after about two seconds. It's not reachable at all over 3G when it's asleep. So, it's pretty useless right now.

I do remember that Snow Leopard broke remote login in iTeleport (Jaadu VNC at the time) when it was first released. Jaadu released an update that fixed it about two weeks after Snow Leopard was released. Hopefully, they'll be this fast this time.

I'm not using WOL or port forwarding, just the standard iTeleport easy setup, but that always worked fine on Snow Leopard.

Wasabisjors
Jul 22, 2011, 06:15 AM
Strange. It seems to be some sort of bug then?

Perhaps Bonjour doesn't give the proper signals to wake the iMac under Lion (I believe Bonjour was the service that would wake the Mac under Snow Leopard??).
Or this new 'Low Power Wake' for OSX Lion doesn't work properly (not enough power ;) ).

I'll fiddle around with it some more this evening.

Europa13
Jul 22, 2011, 06:39 AM
Strange. It seems to be some sort of bug then?

Perhaps Bonjour doesn't give the proper signals to wake the iMac under Lion (I believe Bonjour was the service that would wake the Mac under Snow Leopard??).
Or this new 'Low Power Wake' for OSX Lion doesn't work properly (not enough power ;) ).

I'll fiddle around with it some more this evening.
Yeah, I think it has something to do with the screen not coming on. I disabled and reenabled internet access in Air Video and finally got it working. I can wake it enough to play videos over 3G now, but the screen doesn't come on and I still can't access the computer with VNC if it's sleeping.

Wasabisjors
Jul 23, 2011, 02:29 AM
Yeah, after a couple of tries, from my iPhone/iPad, to connect AirVideo it suddeny connects to my iMac (thus waking up the iMac).
After that I can connect to my iMac, using Logmein.
So it seems it's just Logmein that can't wake up the iMac......?

Europa13
Jul 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, after a couple of tries, from my iPhone/iPad, to connect AirVideo it suddeny connects to my iMac (thus waking up the iMac).
After that I can connect to my iMac, using Logmein.
So it seems it's just Logmein that can't wake up the iMac......?

Correct. As far as I know, none of the WOL or VNC apps can wake a Mac running OS X Lion.

Your screen doesn't come on when you access the videos over 3G with Air Video, right? Mine doesn't. It does play the videos, though.

Wasabisjors
Jul 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
Indeed, screen stays dark whilst streaming AirVideo.
Guess we'll have to wait for a OSX Lion patch?!

Europa13
Jul 27, 2011, 12:10 AM
Indeed, screen stays dark whilst streaming AirVideo.
Guess we'll have to wait for a OSX Lion patch?!

I sent an email to iTeleport Support and they sent me a link for a beta version of iTeleport (5.1.1). This update seems to have fixed the problem. I can now connect via VNC over 3G when the iMac was sleeping. I still have to use Air Video (works like a WOL app) to wake it first, but I had to do that on Snow Leopard as well.

casparz
Aug 1, 2011, 03:07 PM
Apple has presented this as a new feature (http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#networking), called "Low power wake". It is supposed to save power as it only activates filesharing and such. There appears to be some way to wake the system further up to normal power state, but i have not yet found any reference to this functionality...

Psilocybin
Aug 4, 2011, 11:04 PM
Apple has presented this as a new feature (http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#networking), called "Low power wake". It is supposed to save power as it only activates filesharing and such. There appears to be some way to wake the system further up to normal power state, but i have not yet found any reference to this functionality...

I'm still not able to remotely access my Mac with teamviewer after the packet was sent to the Mac running lion which defeats the whole purpose for myself. I guess I'm sticking with sl

JonLa
Aug 5, 2011, 01:41 AM
If I leave my Air in Sleep, but leave the lid open, I can wake it with the Remote App, and then Air Video (or whatever) will work... (in Lion, 2010 Air)

ArmanUV
Aug 10, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'm having almost the opposite of this issue on my 2009 iMac. Even when I manually choose sleep from the apple menu, it doesn't really go to sleep. The screen turns off and after a few seconds I can here the sound of hard drive spinning down as expected. However, about two seconds later, it makes the sound it usually does when waking up from sleep, without actually turning on the screen. I can even access Air Video Server and Plex while it's sleep. To make it even weirder, Apple's own Remote app can't access it when it's supposedly sleep.

Psilocybin
Aug 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
I solved my problem. See my thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1210203

genevan
Aug 16, 2011, 09:53 PM
This issue may be related to the low-power wake introduced in Lion, but if low-power wake does not allow things such as VNC or printer sharing (the problem I'm having) to work, then a fix is still needed.

With my Mac Mini (Lion), even with "Wake for network access" checked in the Energy Saver preferences, the ethernet seems to go to sleep completely with the computer, not even allowing the low power wake. I say "completely" because when manually waking up the computer, there is no internet connection in Safari for a few seconds while the network is reestablished.

This prevents backing up my laptop to the shared hard drive as well as printing and VNC. Anyone find a solution that makes Lion wake up fully?

Wasabisjors
Aug 17, 2011, 02:50 AM
Anyone notice any improvements since the 10.7.1 update?

tdgrn
Aug 23, 2011, 04:31 PM
I am still having issues with 10.7.1... I can not get Logmein or RealVNC (4.6.3) to work :confused:

Wasabisjors
Aug 25, 2011, 02:15 AM
I still have issues too. Unable to wake my iMac using LogMeIn.
Need to wake my iMac using AirVideo, after which I can connect using LogMeIn.

tinybruk
Sep 10, 2011, 04:33 AM
Same problem.. my MBP (Lion 10.7.1) no longer sees my networked iMac (SL) after the iMac goes in to sleep. This never happened before in upgraded the MBP to Lion - I could still immediately see the iMac and shre files, screen etc..it's a pain... Apple please get this fixed.

tinybruk
Sep 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
Just spotted this :

In Terminal on my MBP (Lion) under Terminal >man pmset

shows a new option

networkoversleep - this setting affects how OS X networking presents shared network services during system sleep. This setting is not used by all platforms; changing its value is unsupported.

with two options of 0 or 1

This option isnt listed on my iMac (Snow Leopard) which now cant be seen/woken by my MBP if the iMac goes to sleep.

Anyone tried changing this option?

Wonder why that is?

Ruahrc
Sep 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
FWIW- everything seems to be working as advertised for me and my 2011 mini server and 2009 MBP w/10.6.8.

I can sleep the mini, and access it via the laptop. If I only connect to the file share, the mini will wake but the displays will not turn on. If I initiate a screen sharing session, the displays will come alive.

The opposite works too, except waking the laptop for any access results in the display also coming on, since it doesn't have the low power wake thing.

P.S.- all the connections are done through B2MM on mobileme, at least I'm pretty sure they are since I don't list Bonjour computers in my "shared" sidebar, only B2MM. However, when I ran these tests, they were on the same local network. I have successfully woken and screen shared to my mini over the internet on B2MM, but alas I am unable to confirm the same screen waking behavior (since I can't be there to see the mini).

Ruahrc

Taz Mangus
Sep 11, 2011, 01:56 PM
The issue I am having with WOL only seems to be effecting my Mac-Mini where it won't wake for wireless network access if it is asleep for more then 2 hours. I am working with Apple on this issue.

coopermac
Sep 17, 2011, 08:34 AM
The issue I am having with WOL only seems to be effecting my Mac-Mini where it won't wake for wireless network access if it is asleep for more then 2 hours. I am working with Apple on this issue.

Would be good to know how you get on. I am trying to get access from my iPad to Mac Mini using the Splashtop and Inet WOL apps. All works fine if the Mini is awake with screen on but will not wake the screen once the Mini is asleep. The HDD does wake from the apps but the screen stays dead and therefore will not allow the desktop to be seen. This is clearly a downside of Lion and needs a fix by Apple.

Captain-Scarlet
Oct 3, 2011, 08:08 AM
The following fix worked on my Mac mini 2011 server with Splashtop using iPad.

First use a remote mouse App, such as Mobile Mouse Pro from RPA Tech. Inc., to wake up Mac. A few seconds later after launching the app, the message "connected finder" will be flashed up. Then press left or right mouse key on the iPad. A few secondes later the same "connected finder" will be shown again. At that time the Mac is been woken fully with screen on. I can use Splashtop to login to the server then.

I only tested it on the Ethernet. But I'm sure the Wifi will work too.

Taz Mangus
Oct 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
Would be good to know how you get on. I am trying to get access from my iPad to Mac Mini using the Splashtop and Inet WOL apps. All works fine if the Mini is awake with screen on but will not wake the screen once the Mini is asleep. The HDD does wake from the apps but the screen stays dead and therefore will not allow the desktop to be seen. This is clearly a downside of Lion and needs a fix by Apple.

When I get home I will post the case number I have open with AppleCare. I don't use Splashtop, I use the VNC Viewer app on my iPad. The nice thing about VNC Viewer app is that I don't have to install anything else on OS X. VNC Viewer supports Snow Leopard/Lion VNC screen sharing.

EDIT: The case number I have with AppleCare is 239927135.

----------

The following fix worked on my Mac mini 2011 server with Splashtop using iPad.

First use a remote mouse App, such as Mobile Mouse Pro from RPA Tech. Inc., to wake up Mac. A few seconds later after launching the app, the message "connected finder" will be flashed up. Then press left or right mouse key on the iPad. A few secondes later the same "connected finder" will be shown again. At that time the Mac is been woken fully with screen on. I can use Splashtop to login to the server then.

I only tested it on the Ethernet. But I'm sure the Wifi will work too.

I don't have an issue if I connect my Mac-Mini directly to my Airport Extreme router via ethernet.

Captain-Scarlet
Oct 3, 2011, 09:35 PM
When I get home I will post the case number I have open with AppleCare. I don't use Splashtop, I use the VNC Viewer app on my iPad. The nice thing about VNC Viewer app is that I don't have to install anything else on OS X. VNC Viewer supports Snow Leopard/Lion VNC screen sharing.

----------

I don't have an issue if I connect my Mac-Mini directly to my Airport Extreme router via ethernet.

Looks like the fix doesn't work for Wifi.

Another problem that I discover is that I can't wake up Mac Mini when forcing it go to sleep in Splashtop. I'm wondering if it's Splashtop's problem or OS X Lion is to be blamed.

howser76
Nov 4, 2011, 09:55 PM
i just purchased a Mini in early October. I have been having the same issues as well. My mini will not wake on schedule. I have spoken with Apple support and after doing a clean reinstall of Lion they determined it was probably a hardware issue. They advised me to return it for a new one, which I did. The new Mini is still doing the same thing. I will be calling Apple once again.

TebWeb
Jan 2, 2012, 08:46 AM
After sharing everyone's frustration here at having VNC "broken" with Lion, I think I stumbled upon the fix. In your VNC app, you should have a setting for Wake On LAN. Enter the details (MAC Address, Netsubmask, usually 255.255.255.0, and your IP/hostname). Make sure you're router is set to accept WOL Port 7. This solved the problem! I can now connect through VNC--it sends a WOL packet first to wake the Mac into its dark wake mode. The screen turns on upon connection from the VNC client.
It would appear that Lion is insistent on a separate WOL packet.

sitrucz
Apr 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
Did Apple find an issue with Wake on Lan with this case?

EDIT: The case number I have with AppleCare is 239927135.

Taz Mangus
Apr 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
Did Apple find an issue with Wake on Lan with this case?

10.7.3 fixed the WOL issue I was having with my Mac-Mini. Unfortunately, my iMac now has the same exact issue after the 10.7.3 update. It could be the iMac WiFi updated that caused the issue with my iMac. I have been working with Apple on my iMac WOL issue.

rsphotocreation
Aug 14, 2012, 04:29 AM
Is there something new?

I'm having the same issue with my iMac.