PDA

View Full Version : Wow, used 2GB data with netflix 5 movies in one day

aneftp
Apr 17, 2011, 08:03 PM
Well I really was just trying to test the battery life of my iphone 4 since I just got it replaced with a refurbished.

So I test battery life with netflix 3G streaming. Got about 5 hours of battery life until it went dead. My previous iphone 4 got around 6 hours of continous slingbox streaming. So battery life is ok with the refurb. I ran the test again and iphone 4 died at around the same 5 hour mark.

When I went to check my data usage this morning. So streaming 10 hours (about 5 netflix movies), I consumed 2GB of data. That's like 200MB of data for each hour of netflix streaming.

So I understand how some people can consume 10-20 GB of data each month with netflix streaming on their iphone. I didn't watch any of the movies, I just tested it to drain my battery life. At most I only stream 3 or 4 netflix movies a month and that's only on my Apple TV at home.

Now those using 100GB of data....they are probably tethering to their computers.

ani23
Apr 17, 2011, 08:06 PM
Who in their right mind streams Netflix on 3G

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 17, 2011, 08:14 PM

I do. The picture quality seems just as good as watching over wifi. With wifi I get no buffering at all, but with 3G a slight buffer every once in a while in areas with good 3G signal. I have watched more movies on 3G than on wifi.

afurry13
Apr 17, 2011, 08:21 PM
I think the better question is who uses Netflix on their iPhone with Wifi?

ECUpirate44
Apr 17, 2011, 08:21 PM

I do and im on Verizon. No lag at all.

-aggie-
Apr 17, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think the better question is who uses Netflix on their iPhone with Wifi?

or who wants to watch that many movies on an iPhone screen.

ECUpirate44
Apr 17, 2011, 08:27 PM

Nothing else to do on an airplane :rolleyes:

Applejuiced
Apr 17, 2011, 08:29 PM

Exactly:)

rwilliams
Apr 17, 2011, 08:37 PM

That's what I was thinking. It's great to have it available on the iPhone, but if I was going to do some serious movie watching on the go, I'd buy an iPad.

reputationZed
Apr 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
Nothing else to do on an airplane :rolleyes:

How can you stream over 3G while on a flight?

ucfgrad93
Apr 17, 2011, 08:42 PM

Agreed.

ECUpirate44
Apr 17, 2011, 08:45 PM

I fly to and from Newark int. You can guarantee spending at least 30 minutes on the ground waiting to takeoff or taxing to the gate.

g8orballboy
Apr 17, 2011, 08:49 PM

Since I'm a consultant and I travel about 3 weeks a month, and hotel wifi is about as useful as a 56k connection, I use 3G for all my Netflix and slingbox streaming, it's really my only option. Which is also why I rack up 9-12gigs a month without tethering!

saberahul
Apr 17, 2011, 09:20 PM

I do. I have unlimited and the quality is as good as wifi for me so why wouldn't I? I mean... I have unlimited for a reason ya know.

Funny how everyone quoted the same person.

benjayman2
Apr 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I watch/listen to stand up comedy shows from netflix while I'm driving.

Givmeabrek
Apr 17, 2011, 09:35 PM
Sometimes I watch/listen to stand up comedy shows from netflix while I'm driving.

Ouch!!! I'll keep far away from Chicago..... :cool:

benjayman2
Apr 17, 2011, 09:46 PM
Ouch!!! I'll keep far away from Chicago..... :cool:

I still find it better then texting and driving. I don't really watch though unless I'm at a stop. BTW 7+ years driving without an accident and or ticket *knocks on wood*

Rajani Isa
Apr 18, 2011, 02:42 AM
I do. The picture quality seems just as good as watching over wifi. With wifi I get no buffering at all, but with 3G a slight buffer every once in a while in areas with good 3G signal. I have watched more movies on 3G than on wifi.

Once I get around to wringing the details of the family netflix plan out of my brother (he has frineds on it it because he thinks it's "his" even though he doesn't pay for it) and such, that's how I'd use it.

That "the free wifi is crap" guy apparently has never tried to use the free wifi at my job (can we say "fails to load forum threads reliably"?)

blazinz
Apr 18, 2011, 07:43 AM
I still find it better then texting and driving. I don't really watch though unless I'm at a stop. BTW 7+ years driving without an accident and or ticket *knocks on wood*

:eek:

how many years driving and watching movies tho..?:D

maflynn
Apr 18, 2011, 07:46 AM

+1

I got an iPad because the screen was too small. Heck one of the reasons why I opted to upgrade my Nexus One to a Droid x was because the screen was larger so I could watch movies. In reality, even that screen was too small to watch

yg17
Apr 18, 2011, 08:31 AM
I fly to and from Newark int. You can guarantee spending at least 30 minutes on the ground waiting to takeoff or taxing to the gate.

If by waiting for takeoff, you mean you're on the plane with the door closed and in line on the taxiway, you're not supposed to have your phone on.

bengtc
Apr 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
or who wants to tell people how to use their phones?

joeconvert
Apr 18, 2011, 08:55 AM
or who wants to tell people how to use their phones?

Well I guess a few do, but the real issue on this is the impact on everyone else. This is why all the carriers have increasingly looked for ways to stick it to anyone that uses over 2GB a month.

heisenberg123
Apr 18, 2011, 09:11 AM
who is surprised 5 movies = 2GB?

msb3079
Apr 18, 2011, 09:21 AM
I could never watch a movie on my phone.. let alone several... and definitely not several in one day. Hell, I couldn't watch several in one day anywhere. Get outside... go for a hike!

blevins321
Apr 18, 2011, 09:54 AM
If by waiting for takeoff, you mean you're on the plane with the door closed and in line on the taxiway, you're not supposed to have your phone on.

According to the flight attendants, we're allowed ;) . It's only if you have a longish delay that you're allowed to. I was on one once when we were stuck on the tarmac waiting for 45 minutes. This was 'in line' to takeoff. Flight attendants said we could use phones or anything else until the pilot made an announcement saying we were next in line.

TG1
Apr 18, 2011, 11:02 AM
My Netflix use is where the rubber hits the road for my 2 gb cap. Netflix on iPhone is great for shows like The Office or 30 Rock. Not so great for movies like LOTR. Still a great app that Android doesn't even have right now.

bwrairen
Apr 18, 2011, 11:16 AM

I would say less than 50% of frequent travelers actually abide by this policy. And yet, planes take off and land everyday without crashing.....

Mlrollin91
Apr 18, 2011, 11:32 AM

5 movies should be more like 3+GB. When I stream movies over 3G on my iPhone 4, each movies is roughly 500-700MB for about 1 hour 45 minutes.

I stream all the time because my classes are so far apart, and I don't want to drive home, just to go back to campus. Have unlimited data, and this is the only reason why I have not given it up.

Looon
Apr 18, 2011, 01:05 PM
5 movies should be more like 3+GB. When I stream movies over 3G on my iPhone 4, each movies is roughly 500-700MB for about 1 hour 45 minutes.

I stream all the time because my classes are so far apart, and I don't want to drive home, just to go back to campus. Have unlimited data, and this is the only reason why I have not given it up.

Same here I have like 2 hour gaps between classes 5 days a week and my ride home is 1 hour + so my iphone is like the only thing keeping me sane especially during the winter when there's nothing to do on campus

benjayman2
Apr 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
:eek:

how many years driving and watching movies tho..?:D

Well I can't fight that :p I did use to play movies on my old archos AVP. So maybe since 4+ years give or take.

MaxBurn
Apr 18, 2011, 02:30 PM

It shows how much netflix works to compress that stream that its ONLY 2gb.

DiamondMac
Apr 18, 2011, 02:33 PM

As others have said, I do it all the time and love it.

Well I guess a few do, but the real issue on this is the impact on everyone else. This is why all the carriers have increasingly looked for ways to stick it to anyone that uses over 2GB a month.

Well, the reasons for companies sticking it to those over 2GB is more for extra $$$ rather than them actually caring about network stability.

If network stability was ACTUALLY a concern, the cap limits would be significantly higher.

2GB? I mean, huh? Several movies on netflix hits the cap. How we have come to a society where several movies on a phone makes someone an "abuser" is shocking to me.

dave420
Apr 18, 2011, 03:07 PM

Not me. That's why I have the cable to hook my phone up to my TV.

Apple 26.2
Apr 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but... Do you have an unlimited plan?

Simm0nS777
Apr 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
I would say less than 50% of frequent travelers actually abide by this policy. And yet, planes take off and land everyday without crashing.....

Bingo. Other guy probably actually thinks if a phone is on during takeoff the plane will just fall to the ground.

aneftp
Apr 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but... Do you have an unlimited plan?

OP here. Yes I have unlimited data. Honestly I rarely use more than 500mb each month the max I used prior to my weekend draining my battery by playing Netflix over 3G was 1.5GB and that with sling box streaming while on a road trip.

But ATT needs to revise their advertising. Instead of telling the public they can view tens of thousands of webpages. They need to say that with 2GB you cam stream about 5 Netflix movies..maybe 6 a month before you go over your 2gb data plan.

The public will understand the number 5 movies streamed much better than "tens of thousands of webpages".

theonekcrow
Apr 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
It shows how much netflix works to compress that stream that its ONLY 2gb.

+1

Its not like its HD video, it should be getting compressed for the size appropriate for the device.

Apple 26.2
Apr 18, 2011, 04:14 PM
OP: I agree with what you're saying, but it's hardly like AT$T is looking out for us. Why tell you "only" 5 or 6 movies when "tens of thousands" of web pages has such a ring (and by ring, I mean cash register ring) sound to it?!

wxman2003
Apr 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
Netflix on the iPhone is great especially for those who travel. Using the hdmi adaptor, I can hook it up to any HDTV and watch all the movies I want in 720p. No need to bring along another portable device such as roku or laptop to connect to tv. Most places I stay have wifi so it streams great. The only flaw is when displaying Netflix through a tv, the red Netflix screen stays on, on the iPhone. You can't run it in the background, so the red screen stays on through the whole movie.

EddyP
Apr 18, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry. I did that for a while. I feel your pain. The only good thing about that airport is they are allowed to serve you booze on the ground. :D

Teechur
Apr 18, 2011, 07:14 PM

I listen to TV shows while I drive as well. I don't "WATCH" them (except at a stoplight, maybe). Mostly I listen to John Stewart and shows or acts that don't require you to watch.

Spectrum
Apr 19, 2011, 01:04 AM
Same here I have like 2 hour gaps between classes 5 days a week and my ride home is 1 hour + so my iphone is like the only thing keeping me sane especially during the winter when there's nothing to do on campus

Why not try doing something rather controversial while you're on campus between classes like, I don't know, studying? You might be amazed at how much an extra hour a day quietly recapping will achieve.

Smoothness
Apr 19, 2011, 04:46 AM
Why not try doing something rather controversial while you're on campus between classes like, I don't know, studying? You might be amazed at how much an extra hour a day quietly recapping will achieve.

Or you can befriend freshman chicks and bang them during your break...your call

jedivulcan
Apr 19, 2011, 05:25 AM
Or you can befriend freshman chicks and bang them during your break...your call

Some people live in a place called reality.

Southern Dad
Apr 19, 2011, 05:45 AM
I use my iPhone 4 and my iPad for Netflix streaming. I still have the unlimited plans on both so I really don't worry about the amount of data used. Recently I took my eight year old daughter and her two year old sister to Walt Disney World. It's a seven and a half hour trip each direction. Those devices got a workout.

Note that device is a Woogie that is from Griffin Technology and is only $20, you won't be afraid to let a child have your expensive phone. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/woogie

Another big data usage for me is the XM radio app. I have XM radio in the car and have come to like it, so I got the app. Now, there are days where I kick on XM at work with my iPhone in one of these docking radios.

P0stalTek
Apr 19, 2011, 06:51 AM
I use my iPhone 4 and my iPad for Netflix streaming. I still have the unlimited plans on both so I really don't worry about the amount of data used. Recently I took my eight year old daughter and her two year old sister to Walt Disney World. It's a seven and a half hour trip each direction. Those devices got a workout.

Note that device is a Woogie that is from Griffin Technology and is only $20, you won't be afraid to let a child have your expensive phone. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/woogie

Another big data usage for me is the XM radio app. I have XM radio in the car and have come to like it, so I got the app. Now, there are days where I kick on XM at work with my iPhone in one of these docking radios.

I wish they made that Woogie thing for the iPad. That is handy.

On topic: if it's bandwidth issues that cause heavy users to "hurt" other customers, then I submit to you the carriers should not be offering unlimited plans at all. As long as I am paying for unlimited and using the 3G solely for the phone (without tethering), then I can't see the problem with streaming whatever I want.

The responsibility in my estimation falls on the carrier not the consumer.

she12
Jun 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
Just signed up for nexflix. Read briefly through the site. Quick question:
Can you download movie etc through iphone app while in wifi area and then watch later ? Then there would be no concern on data usage.

iceterminal
Jun 3, 2011, 02:12 PM
Try going to your local DMV for a new drivers license. Where I'm at, you can get there early, and still plan on a 3 hour wait for a 5 minute transaction.

So I'll toss on a movie, video podcast, or stream one from the net.

Tarzanman
Jun 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
There are other reasons for airlines requiring electronic devices to be off during takeoff that are not related to interference with plane avionics.

A lot of it has to do with trying to make sure that as many passengers as possible are paying attention and the psychology of crowd control.

If something is going to go wrong during a flight, then the worst times are during (you guessed it!) take-off and landing. There might only be a 0.0001% chance that a device being on causes (either directly or indirectly) a problem during these times, but when you are in the business of flying thousands of people through the air at 20,000 ft. every day, it probably helps to be a little paranoid about safety.

bengtc
Jun 3, 2011, 03:38 PM
Just signed up for nexflix. Read briefly through the site. Quick question:
Can you download movie etc through iphone app while in wifi area and then watch later ? Then there would be no concern on data usage.

No way to do that

quadchick10
Jun 3, 2011, 03:51 PM

What??? I stream on 3G at times while watching Netflix and it is excellent quality.

quadchick10
Jun 3, 2011, 04:03 PM

How do you know THAT is the reason. I am getting tired of reading these posts where everyone is blaming others because they are using their unlimited data. It is unlimited. If I want to watch 20 movies, that is my business. I pay my $30.00 every month and on time. Please do not dictate to me how much data I can use. I believe everyone that have these opinions are just bitter because they do not have unlimited data and so lets just blame it on everyone else.

wxman2003
Jun 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
What??? I stream on 3G at times while watching Netflix and it is excellent quality.

Wish I could, but Verizon is becoming so bad, it's hard to even stream music without problems. Verizon network isn't any better than AT&T based on my experience.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 3, 2011, 04:15 PM
For those of you on a campus does your school not have a student, falculty and staff wifi network. I stream off of that when ever I am on my campus.

nateo200
Jun 3, 2011, 04:57 PM
This thread....it's killing me inside...:o so much wasted bandwidth...well if you guys are going to stream over 3G at least have the decency of using wifi when you can.

chestvrg
Jun 3, 2011, 06:09 PM

That's a good one :)

They live amongs us

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)