PDA

View Full Version : Going from a 06' MBP to a MBA... thoughts?

Eggtastic
Apr 17, 2011, 08:47 PM
I have an 06' MBP 15 inch. It still works great and everything and I feel its time to upgrade to a newer machine and sell this one before it craps out. I only use the computer for music, internet, microsoft office, and minor photo editing since i just picked up my first nikon DSLR (or whatever its called). Clearly I dont need much power, so i figured it be great to get something light and with all the overwhelming positive reviews I am ALMOST set. but...

I will be going from a 15" to a 13" screen. I will lose the backlit keyboard also.

So to those who took this similar route, did you miss the downgraded screen real-estate?

I hear that MBA are being upgraded soon so I am hoping for that backlit option but ultimately i feel it wont be a true deal breaker for me.

rookiezzz
Apr 17, 2011, 09:10 PM
try to read this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1138263

well, i love my mba a lot and i have never had any issue with my back lid keyboard, i don't usually type strange words or codes..

mrsir2009
Apr 17, 2011, 09:26 PM
I'm on a 13" MBP and I frequently switch between that and a 21.5" iMac. It takes a while to adjust to the smaller screen, but it only takes me a few minutes to adjust, and I'm moving from a 21.5" screen to a 13" screen. Your only moving from 15" to 13", so it should be a breeze.

Boston007
Apr 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
I have an 06' MBP 15 inch. It still works great and everything and I feel its time to upgrade to a newer machine and sell this one before it craps out. I only use the computer for music, internet, microsoft office, and minor photo editing since i just picked up my first nikon DSLR (or whatever its called). Clearly I dont need much power, so i figured it be great to get something light and with all the overwhelming positive reviews I am ALMOST set. but...

I will be going from a 15" to a 13" screen. I will lose the backlit keyboard also.

So to those who took this similar route, did you miss the downgraded screen real-estate?

I hear that MBA are being upgraded soon so I am hoping for that backlit option but ultimately i feel it wont be a true deal breaker for me.

My main machine is a MacPro with a 24" NEC monitor.
My secondary machines were an Asus 10" Netbook and Apple 15" PowerBook G4

I traded in the G4 for a 13" MBA.

I almost never use the Asus netbook anymore unless I need some windows specific things.

Going from the 24" to the 13" MBA is no big deal. This MBA 13" screen is really really nice.

I don't miss the backlit keyboard because I never used it much anyways.

Psilocybin
Apr 17, 2011, 10:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Backlit keyboard? They made those ? Haha couldn't care less about it

lasuther
Apr 18, 2011, 03:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd wait for Lion and a MBA update. The screen resolution should be the same, so that won't be a big deal. The update might have backlit keyboard.

fyrefly
Apr 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
The 13" MBA 2010 will be the same resolution as the 2006 MBP: 1440x900, so while the screen will be smaller, it will push the same # of pixels, and give you the same amount of "real estate". Everything will just be slightly smaller Text and UI-wise.

I switch from a 15" MBP to a 13" MBA all the time, and don't miss the change (I've used 1440x900 MBPs and the newer HR 1680x1200 MBPs).