PDA

View Full Version : Beginner At Coding.

mwheeler609
Apr 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hey I am just starting to watch tutorials and start learning objective-c and working in the programming world. In school as full-time student doing graphic design. Has anyone taken an online or even hands on class on this type of programming for beginners? Tutorials are great but some just don't give the right details to really keep the valuable info in your head. How did most of you start programming?

Vizin
Apr 17, 2011, 11:44 PM

Shawnpk
Apr 18, 2011, 10:37 AM
I recently started taking an online Objective -C course. Check out xcelme.com.

mwheeler609
Apr 18, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks I appreciate it knowing that some programmers have learned by online tutorials and books, I am ordering a few books from amazon, because of course as you said, My school does not offer any classes for this. My dad is going to learn with me as well, he is a programmer with about 30 yrs experience just not in C, or objective C, so hopefully he can give me some good insight as it will probably still catch to him quicker

Hansr
Apr 18, 2011, 02:28 PM
I am ordering a few books from amazon,

Start with one, no need to get a stack of books right away that will just deter your motivation. Get one good one and follow that one to the letter and then get another that covers what ever you want to look at in more detail.

ViviUO
Apr 18, 2011, 04:04 PM
I started learning with Visual Basic, which was a huge mistake. The best way to learn is to pick a popular and well established language such as Java, C++, or Apple's case, Objective-C. Once you choose a language, either pick up some books or take some classes (whichever is easier for you to follow).

Eventually you'll ween off of books and rely on the language's documentation for more information. Additionally, if you learn on C or C++ first, a whole lot of that knowledge can be used in Objective-C.

tigres
Apr 18, 2011, 05:37 PM
I recently started taking an online Objective -C course. Check out xcelme.com.

How are you liking these courses? Thinking about signing up for them as well.

mistergreen2011
Apr 18, 2011, 05:56 PM
There's a good course on iTunes U from Stanford. Check it out.

The teachers are programmers from Apple so you can't go wrong there and it's free.

webznz
Apr 18, 2011, 06:45 PM
also check out the stanford youtube videos for iphone development. They are wicked!

gregd33
May 11, 2011, 09:13 AM

The teachers are programmers from Apple so you can't go wrong there and it's free.

This.

The FREE series available from iTunesU is VERY well done. It does assume a fair amount of knowledge of object oriented (OO) programming though... so if OO is new to you then you may want to start elsewhere.

I was impressed with the class and, more importantly, thankful to Stanford for making it available for free on itunes. It's really well done, IMO.

kalsta
May 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
My dad is going to learn with me as well, he is a programmer with about 30 yrs experience just not in C, or objective C, so hopefully he can give me some good insight as it will probably still catch to him quicker

That's brilliant. I'm with Vizin about teaching yourself from books and online tutorials, but also having a dad with 30 years programming experience to learn with and ask questions when you get stuck — that's invaluable.

A course name would be helpful… I can see 'Developing Apps for iOS' by Paul Hegarty, and 'iPhone Application Development' by Alan Cannistraro and Josh Shaffer. Is it either of those?