PDA

View Full Version : Best Web Host for Apple Users

jusacruiser
Apr 18, 2011, 01:40 AM
Which is the best Web Host for Apple users?

If I want to run an online business and build a website that has a shopping cart, which web host would be best?

tersono
Apr 18, 2011, 02:43 AM
It's irrelevant what computer you have. You just want a decent web host. The choice will depend on the level of hosting you need - a small, low traffic site will be fine with shared hosting. A high-traffic site may need a dedicated server.

Alternatively, you may prefer to go for a pre-configured e-commerce solution such as shopify. You need to identify your needs first - without knowing your requirements, it's very difficult to make recommendations.

jusacruiser
Apr 18, 2011, 11:36 PM
It's irrelevant what computer you have. You just want a decent web host. The choice will depend on the level of hosting you need - a small, low traffic site will be fine with shared hosting. A high-traffic site may need a dedicated server.

Alternatively, you may prefer to go for a pre-configured e-commerce solution such as shopify. You need to identify your needs first - without knowing your requirements, it's very difficult to make recommendations.

- I am going to have a informational website where I will be selling several products as a Market Affiliate.

My requirements are:

1. Since I am running the website as a newbie, ease of use will be important to me.
2. I am going to be using iWeb to actually build my website, so would like to easily upload my website to the webhost.
3. Need a shopping cart.
4. Built in billing support.
5. Web Host should have strong ability to drive traffic to my website.

Hopefully this helps. Thanks.

TinyTears
Apr 19, 2011, 01:32 AM
I'd second tersono's recommendation, check out a hosted solution like shopify.com or goodsie.com It'll pretty much cover steps 1 - 4 for you.

Not sure what you mean by 5. Web Host should have strong ability to drive traffic to my website. though?

jusacruiser
Apr 19, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'd second tersono's recommendation, check out a hosted solution like shopify.com or goodsie.com It'll pretty much cover steps 1 - 4 for you.

Not sure what you mean by though?

Ok, for step 5, I think what I meant is a strong web host that could give me high visibility. For example, a high listing in google searches.

Thanks for your input.

blevins321
Apr 19, 2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, for step 5, I think what I meant is a strong web host that could give me high visibility. For example, a high listing in google searches.

Thanks for your input.

I use JustHost for several local non-profit websites. They claim to be very good about improving search engine visibility. We don't use them though as that isn't a nonprofit goal for us.

gks
Apr 19, 2011, 06:53 PM

Thanks for your input.

High visibility in Google and other search engines is dependent on your Page Rank. Not a thing a webhost can do for you there. I suggest you do some research on how websites are actually made instead of using iWeb.

I wouldn't recommend using iWeb for business purposes. It is a consumer product so ma and pa can make their own photo albums and put them on the internet. It isn't a business tool.

I'd suggest really doing some more research. I wouldn't say this forum is the place to get it.

ksmith80209
Apr 19, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm a big fan of SquareSpace.com

Dimwhit
Apr 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
3. Need a shopping cart.
4. Built in billing support.

While your webhost may have these packages available to install on their servers (generally you just need a host that supports php/mysql or somesuch), they won't have anything to do with setting it up. Especially integrating it with your website. If you're using iWeb, it's going to be hard to integrate a shopping cart system into it. You'll probably have to skip iWeb and use some all-in-one web solution.

jusacruiser
Apr 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
While your webhost may have these packages available to install on their servers (generally you just need a host that supports php/mysql or somesuch), they won't have anything to do with setting it up. Especially integrating it with your website. If you're using iWeb, it's going to be hard to integrate a shopping cart system into it. You'll probably have to skip iWeb and use some all-in-one web solution.

Can you recommend an "all in one web solution?"

Also let me know if you have good things or bad things about "GoDaddy".

Thanks!

blevins321
Apr 19, 2011, 10:44 PM

Thanks!

Avoid this at all costs. Ignore the part of your brain that thinks that Danica Patrick will sent to a personal SWAK for signing up with them.

Their web offerings have become so convoluted that, for a beginner with hosts especially, you'll never be able to see the light of day. They have no many piecemeal offerings that they bug you about; that you really don't need any of. And don't even try contacting support. It's offshore and scripted. I actually got through once by faking a Hispanic accent and making the offshore rep transfer me back to the states.

Dimwhit
Apr 20, 2011, 09:27 AM
Can you recommend an "all in one web solution?"

Thanks!

They're probably going to be fairly convoluted if you don't have experience. If I was going to set up an online shop, I'd use OSCommerce (http://www.oscommerce.com/). It's a free, open-source shopping cart system. But installing it, configuring it, and customizing it can take a while.

ViviUO
Apr 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
If you have no experience in web design or development (which I assume since you mentioned using iWeb), there will be nothing easy about your project. The best that I can recommend is using Megento as a CMS/shopping cart.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/

With arvixe as your host.

http://www.arvixe.com/

Make sure you choose a linux server.

Mac In School
Apr 20, 2011, 11:20 PM
The only thing that a Web host can do to improve your SEO is to give you a dedicated IP address (one that's not shared with other sites), which is a teeny tiny piece of the Google puzzle. Bigger fish to fry, imo.

gks
Apr 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
I do not recommend being a newbie at this and handling credit card processing or any of the security that goes with it. Use a hosted solution so you don't get yourself and your clients into a crapload of problems when information is stolen.

Use what someone else suggested, something like Shopify.

jusacruiser
Apr 21, 2011, 01:35 AM
I do not recommend being a newbie at this and handling credit card processing or any of the security that goes with it. Use a hosted solution so you don't get yourself and your clients into a crapload of problems when information is stolen.

Use what someone else suggested, something like Shopify.

Several people mentioned Shopify. I will consider using that one. thanks.

jpiasetz
Apr 22, 2011, 05:29 AM
I've used Shopify,1and1,Dreamhost and HostRocket within the last year. Shopify is probably the most user friendly.

jusacruiser
Apr 22, 2011, 11:31 PM
I've used Shopify,1and1,Dreamhost and HostRocket within the last year. Shopify is probably the most user friendly.

Ok, thanks. :o