PDA

View Full Version : MBA battery runs empty fast

svandevecht
Apr 18, 2011, 05:59 AM
hi,

I have a 2010-12 MBA, 13' 1.86/2gb/256ssd and face issues with my battery performance.. it runs empty in around 2.5 hours when easy emailing & browsing + skype. or watching a movie also drains it imm.

when I just got it, it should excellent figures, good really run it (on wifi) for 9-10 hours.. but few month later is is really getting worse.

coconut battery shows a 93% health, so that cannot be it?

I returned to the store and did not wanted to help me they tested some things and said it was fine.

now I see that SKYPE is a heavy processor user, even when not in use..

does any one else have this same issue? I bought it so I can work full day without charging it, but now it's empty before lunch!

PS: have latest updates & even have screen brightness on 50%

miles01110
Apr 18, 2011, 06:03 AM
It should not be a surprise that applications/activities that require increased processor load decrease battery life.

vukmaxim
Apr 18, 2011, 06:28 AM
hi,

I have a 2010-12 MBA, 13' 1.86/2gb/256ssd and face issues with my battery performance.. it runs empty in around 2.5 hours when easy emailing & browsing + skype. or watching a movie also drains it imm.

when I just got it, it should excellent figures, good really run it (on wifi) for 9-10 hours.. but few month later is is really getting worse.

coconut battery shows a 93% health, so that cannot be it?

I returned to the store and did not wanted to help me they tested some things and said it was fine.

now I see that SKYPE is a heavy processor user, even when not in use..

does any one else have this same issue? I bought it so I can work full day without charging it, but now it's empty before lunch!

PS: have latest updates & even have screen brightness on 50%

Do you use Skype 5, or 2.8.0
I am using 2.8.0 and no heavy processor usage when idling, from 0.0 to 0.4%

maxylle
Apr 21, 2011, 12:20 AM
that is same thing with out MBA 11 inches :( Sad but I'm not really bothered since I got my desktop mac and ipad. Honestly though I was spoiled with Ipad's battery life... :) wink*

Onimusha370
Apr 21, 2011, 05:06 AM
Skype is a horrible program to run on the air, temps shoot up to the 80's :mad:

Boston007
Apr 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
Skype is a horrible program to run on the air, temps shoot up to the 80's :mad:

Skype is a hog on any machine. I hate what they did to that program. It's a HOG, OINK OINK!

SR71
Apr 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
I have Skype open in the background (no video chat), Google chrome with 5 tabs, Twitter open, and Activity Monitor, and my temps are at 35C and Activity Monitor shows Skype as using 0.0-0.3% of my CPU. Also, my estimated battery life is jumping between 9-10 hours, so no problems here. And aso, I'm running the latest Skype.

When video chatting, though, Skype uses about 10-20% CPU, but I haven't really looked at it that much.

bcaslis
Apr 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
...does any one else have this same issue? I bought it so I can work full day without charging it, but now it's empty before lunch!

Open Activity Monitor and set to processes for all users. You must have something using CPU causing a battery drain. See which process is using the CPU and that will be your problem.

IngerMan
Apr 21, 2011, 01:48 PM
I have Skype open in the background (no video chat), Google chrome with 5 tabs, Twitter open, and Activity Monitor, and my temps are at 35C and Activity Monitor shows Skype as using 0.0-0.3% of my CPU. Also, my estimated battery life is jumping between 9-10 hours, so no problems here. And aso, I'm running the latest Skype.

When video chatting, though, Skype uses about 10-20% CPU, but I haven't really looked at it that much.

Dang SR71, That is a lot of diagnosis for owning your first Mac, 3 days now:p

SR71
Apr 22, 2011, 03:14 PM
Dang SR71, That is a lot of diagnosis for owning your first Mac, 3 days now:p

Hey now, I may have only had a Mac for a few days (4 now, so ha!), but that doesn't mean I can't make diagnoses. ;)

IngerMan
Apr 22, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hey now, I may have only had a Mac for a few days (4 now, so ha!), but that doesn't mean I can't make diagnoses. ;)

I just thought you should have more then 2 battery cycles on your machine if you are commenting on battery life, lol :p

I am glad to see you are enjoying the Mac experience:cool:

SR71
Apr 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
I just thought you should have more then 2 battery cycles on your machine if you are commenting on battery life, lol :p

I am glad to see you are enjoying the Mac experience:cool:

According to iStat Pro, I've got 27 cycles lol.

bcaslis
Apr 22, 2011, 04:22 PM
According to iStat Pro, I've got 27 cycles lol.

FYI, you can also use the Apple System Profiler software to see how many battery cycles and health.