PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh SE/30 Won't Boot

richard13
Apr 18, 2011, 10:36 AM
You can tell by the subject line that this is a very "classic" computer. :)

I recently inherited this machine from a co-worker who had it passed down to him, etc. As far as I can tell nobody has attempted to boot it. It is missing the keyboard and mouse but I thought that turning it on would at least give me some sort of error beeps, codes, unhappy face. However, when I flipped the switch all I can hear is the fans, and I believe I also hear the HD but beyond that nothing. No video is displayed (black) and I can't find any other indication of what's wrong.

I realize this is probably a lost cause but I thought I'd post here anyway in hopes that someone has an idea.

Thanks for your help.

MacForScience
Apr 18, 2011, 01:29 PM
You can tell by the subject line that this is a very "classic" computer. :)

I recently inherited this machine from a co-worker who had it passed down to him, etc. As far as I can tell nobody has attempted to boot it. It is missing the keyboard and mouse but I thought that turning it on would at least give me some sort of error beeps, codes, unhappy face. However, when I flipped the switch all I can hear is the fans, and I believe I also hear the HD but beyond that nothing. No video is displayed (black) and I can't find any other indication of what's wrong.

I realize this is probably a lost cause but I thought I'd post here anyway in hopes that someone has an idea.

Thanks for your help.

I would open the computer up: check to see if it has RAM, Hard Drive, and of course you will need an old Mac OS we are talking pre OS 7 must be on floppy discs. To be honest unless you have an old Mac OS like version 2-4.0 I doubt you will be able to get it running at all.

Cheers

chrismacguy
Apr 18, 2011, 02:34 PM
I would open the computer up: check to see if it has RAM, Hard Drive, and of course you will need an old Mac OS we are talking pre OS 7 must be on floppy discs. To be honest unless you have an old Mac OS like version 2-4.0 I doubt you will be able to get it running at all.

Cheers

Incorrect. It doesnt need an OS to display the Mac "?" Logo. And that Mac can run Mac OS 7. Just very slowly. Id open it up, and carefully check to see if any of the Capacitors have burst and check it does have some RAM (Although even without RAM it should beep). - Id also ask at the 68K Macintosh Liberation Army (Google 68kmla) - The people there may have much better ideas on how to get it up and running again :)

richard13
Apr 19, 2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks guys. I am planning on opening it up but I'm not sure how to. I'm guessing I can find something about that by doing some searching.

I'll let you know what I find.