Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
Is there a way to share an Epson Scanner through the USB port on the Airport Extreme Basestation. My immediate thought is no, but odes anyone have any ideas.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
I think it wil stay NO because we only hear about printer sharing trough airport & the other wifi usbcontrolling device from pc manuacturors allso are only printerservers... there is allso no software controlling it on an network (scanners I mean) unlike printers where you can add things into the waitinglist on the networkprinter... just send your command first come first served...

I have another Idea (a bit silly I guess) get an old mac wich is just fast enough for scanning and you only put macosx and the scansoftware on it... thus keeping the rest of the drive free for images...

then install remote desktop on all the other computers in the network

thus giving everybody (not all at the same time offcourse) acces to that computer to let it scan ;)

as I said a bit weird setup and not very workable... but since someone has to be at the scanner to feed it with subjects why would you want to control it over anetwork? printers are fine that way they only complain when the ink is low or paper empty, for the rest put them in a corner and pick up the prints whenever they're finished...

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I have a small desk in my room, but in my Dad's office (I'm still in high school) there's a printer that we don't use and an airport so i was just wondering if i could plug in scanner, and then work at his desk across the room. I guess it would be more logical to use USB.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
sorry you lost me: a printer we don't use... and then you switch to scanner???

the printer will be usable trough the base station I guess (but you don't use it anyway??) the scanner will not work trough the base station as a shared device like the printer... I'm sorry ;-)

why? because the basestation USB connection acts as a USB network printserver, wich can be standalone, I never heard of a 'scanserver'...

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.