Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
They don't really tout this as an "ipad" bag(they should)...however I have confirmed with customer service via email that the main compartment and the padded outer sleeve, will easily carry and ipad ( and file folders for my benefit)...lots of features etc and not bad at all for $59...Im ordering one today and will post some pics and review when it gets here.

Osprey Warp

Last edited:

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I decided WTF and went ahead and ordered the Warp over the Veer, I guess I'd rather err on the side of the bag being a bit to big rather than it being a bit to small. I'd like to have enough room for the iPad2, the BT keyboard, and still have room left over for one more thing.

I'll post some pics once I get the bag. I ordered the one with the blue accent, as much as I liked the mustard colored accent it doesn't look like it's available anymore.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
I've had it a week now, just no time to post a review til now...

I really can't think of anything keeping this from being the perfect bag, for me anyway. I was looking for something in the outdoor/rugged type and had already sent back a Copper River Messenger, it was a nice bag, but TOO little room and little function otherwise. Timbuk2's are close, but not quite what I wanted. I was considering the Tom Bihn Ristretto, but didn't want to spend that much.

Ran across the Osprey on Moosejaw.com(great site and service, free shipping etc) and liked the look and price.

Pros:

1. Not too big, not too small...shoulder strap is comfortable with a heavy load
2. Seems well constructed and made from recycled stuff for Greenies
3. Phone/mp3 pouch on the strap with stays for headphone wires (most smartphones should fit fine, bigger ones like EVO with case might be pushing it, but if not...
4. There's a handy smaller pouch where your hand would rest, that would hold any phone for quick access for those carrying mp3 and phone, or a small pistol,if you're into that kind of thing.
5. Strap adjusts super easy and quick.
6. 2 bigger pockets will easily carry iPad w case or even a MacBook air (osprey customer service said so), several books etc...(I can easily fit 4or5, full manilla file folders and zip, letter size)
7. iPad will go in either the 2 big zippered pockets or the padded pouch on the outside of the bag against your body.
8. Waist strap to secure while riding bike etc
9. Front flap has one larger outside pocket with key clip, and smaller underneath pocket as well as pen slots.
10. Water bottle net
11. Unique design

Cons:

1. If anything the zippers could be easier on the big pockets but it's a flexible material and has zipper flaps to deflect water etc...can't have everything.
2. I could only find this one color in stock anywhere but I like it anyway.(not the bag's fault:p)

IMG-20110429-00037.jpg

IMG-20110429-00034.jpg

IMG-20110429-00035.jpg

IMG-20110429-00036.jpg

IMG-20110429-00038.jpg

IMG-20110429-00039.jpg

IMG-20110429-00041.jpg

IMG-20110429-00042.jpg

IMG-20110429-00043.jpg

IMG-20110429-00044.jpg

IMG-20110429-00045.jpg

IMG-20110429-00047.jpg

Mind you, I had it loaded for the pictures to show capacity, it would rarely be this bulky and it's very lightweight.

Didn't realize it had reflective pieces in the piping til I took this picture either...

You'll like it.

Last edited:

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
I decided WTF and went ahead and ordered the Warp over the Veer, I guess I'd rather err on the side of the bag being a bit to big rather than it being a bit to small.

Same here...I'm actually replacing a briefcase and pc laptop with this and ipad2 for work but needed to carry file folders...the Veer will carry an iPad I understand but osprey customer service actually checked for me and letter size folders would not fit and zip.

Bigchris

macrumors member
May 6, 2009
Cucamonga
I've had it a week now, just no time to post a review til

Thanks for the review brudog68, I just went and picked one up at REI. Love the bag fits my stuff perfectly, love the pockets too. Oh, the EVO fits perfectly in the pocket on the strap too.:D

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I was pleasantly surprised to see a review for this bag here since it's not specifically designed for an iPad, but it's what I use everyday to carry around mine, initially the original and now the iPad 2. I picked this bag up at an REI also and unfortunately they only had the gray (panda) style.

For my use, I really appreciate the over the shoulder design since I can get into all the compartments without taking it off, unlike a backpack or messenger bag. It's also easy the swing the bag around to your lap if your carrying it and then want to sit down, like when on a bus. It also has a great small but deep pocket located right when your our hand rests when carrying the bag, that's idea for stowing small items you want to be able to reach easily when out and about, like your sunglasses. And the pouch on the shoulder strap is an awesome place to store your iPhone.

On the downside, none of the compartments are padded and they are all to big to carry an iPad without it being in another case or sleeve to protect it. I personally have a skin on the back of my iPad with a smart cover on the front, and then keep it in a neoprene sleeve. This may seem like a lot, but I still fear not having something more rigid protecting it, particularly for when you sit the bag down. Also, even in the sleeve, the iPad can swim in either of the two main compartments. I wish there was a spot for it that had a snug fit.

A couple other pet peeves are that the main compartment doesn't have a divider, but I can see how others may like that. Also I found the guide clips for your headphone cable to be more bothersome than helpful. And while I admire the fact it was made with a large percentage of recycled material, it reminds me of the complaints with the Sun Chips bag that's also made out of post consumer waste. Both seems to have a lot of crinkles and are noisy, if that makes sense.

But overall, I found the bag to be really functional for everyday use, carrying everything I need with room to spare. It also doesn't advertise that fact you're carrying expensive electronics like the iPad or a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.