Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoman504

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Looks like it is designed to fit OVER TOP of the Smart Cover magnets? If so, then that's a big fail! The point of the Smart Cover is the ability to take it off and on when I need it, but this design looks like you have to snap the case off to remove the Smart Cover. Is that how everyone else is seeing it too? Maybe the part that goes over the magnets folds back easily though.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I REALLY like how they have cut the side to only expose the hinges. Very nice if they can execute it.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Looks like it is designed to fit OVER TOP of the Smart Cover magnets? If so, then that's a big fail! The point of the Smart Cover is the ability to take it off and on when I need it, but this design looks like you have to snap the case off to remove the Smart Cover. Is that how everyone else is seeing it too? Maybe the part that goes over the magnets folds back easily though.

I guess you are right, it does look that way. I haven't been using my smart cover long enough to know if that would be a problem for me. I guess I'll know before the case is available and if I'm still not sure I can always try it out.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA

If this is true, I would actually prefer it this way...I have a smart cover and rarely choose to take it off as it gets out of the way nicely anyway, this would actually secure the smart cover from popping off.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010

Just ignore my big arse mouth please.
nevermind.

zoman504

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I wonder what you were seeing. It in no way is designed to fit over the magnets. rofl. those were sample hinges to show where the smartcover hinges would go.

Um look at one of the pictures, it clearly shows the blue smart cover underneath the black backplate. rofl. Look again bud. There's also another picture showing the black cover going over top an ipad 2 w/ smart cover on it. The bar is attached to the smart cover, therefore, its covered and cant be removed by simply pulling off the smart cover like normal.

And maybe for some this works great, but then why not just buy a regular case?

Edited: Nevermind, looks like you saw it too, we're good.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

Not for me.

The reason I like the Smart Cover is because if I want it off, it's off.

I would not call it a complete fail. If you like to have the Smart Cover on all the time then this is perfect.

Last edited:

Superman Y2K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Definitely a different approach. Has it's pros and cons but could be annoying.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I will be picking one of these up when they're released - I heard 4/24.

That would be cool, but the page says sometime in May... Also, according to their facebook page they haven't determined which colors. This probably means they don't plan on matching all the smart cover colors. I hope Navy gets chosen, but I doubt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.