PDA

View Full Version : Smart Cover w/TPU Back (Pics)

mrgossett
Apr 18, 2011, 06:16 PM
Just got an inexpensive eBay TPU back cover to use with my tan leather Smart Cover today, and I'm really impressed with the look, and the improvement in handling and grip. The TPU back fits perfectly, as do all the cutouts. I wasn't a big fan of continuing to use the Smart Cover, until I added the TPU back. Here's the back cover I bought, and some pics below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-SMART-COVER-COMPANION-TPU-CASE-APPLE-IPAD-2-/220764882594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33669cc6a2#ht_2855wt_972

3goldens
Apr 18, 2011, 06:20 PM
if this is the one on eBay, the pictures look great but the product sucks.

sharp edges, loose surrounding plastic lip that falls slips easily off, feels odd to hold, generally very bad quality, shoddy manufacturing. You get what you pay for with these kind of things. This is a floppy skin, I'm going to look fora harder typ of case, like the feather that will not pop out while using.

this case completely ruined my wrapsol ultra clean screen protected, will have to get a replacement as lip of this skin peeled it at the edges.

Peice of garbage, which is where it is going!

MiamiBourne
Apr 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
I just got mine today and for $12 it's great. Adds a little weight to the iPad and it's not perefect but for this price I will not complain.

mrgossett
Apr 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm sure that a hard-type case might be better in some ways, but there aren't many available right now that work with the Smart Cover. The TPU case that I received is well-made and not shoddy. It looks good and feels good, and for the money, it's a good buy.

BigHonkingDeal
Apr 18, 2011, 07:54 PM
+ 1

Got the same case today and like it a lot too.....

I'm sure that a hard-type case might be better in some ways, but there aren't many available right now that work with the Smart Cover. The TPU case that I received is well-made and not shoddy. It looks good and feels good, and for the money, it's a good buy.

rondz
Apr 19, 2011, 12:24 AM
I was suppose to post this in another thread about the TPU Smart Cover case from eBay but since this is the most current one. Here it is, I have the grey smart cover with the grey TPU smart cover case. For the price, it does exactly what it is made to do, compatibility with the smart cover and protection.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover004.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover002.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover008.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover007.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover006.jpg

Until my AViiQ case comes in, this will do! :)

Mlrollin91
Apr 19, 2011, 01:25 AM
I really like the clear one thats available on eBay. Does anyone know if it peels up a screen protector? Particularly Power Support.

drenline
Apr 19, 2011, 02:02 AM
Thanks I just ordered a white one for $13.99

rondz
Apr 19, 2011, 02:28 AM
I really like the clear one thats available on eBay. Does anyone know if it peels up a screen protector? Particularly Power Support.

It started to bend the right side of my screen protector, luckily I had an extra since I got generic anti-glare ones on eBay, just be sure to install the right side first (making sure the top of the case sits on top of the screen protector) and apply the rest of the case on it goes on flawlessly without messin up the screen protector, mine has it on, you can see in the pics it doesn't bubble on the sides.

clyde2801
Apr 19, 2011, 06:51 AM
The ebay and mall kiosks TPU's I've bought do not play well with my ghost armor screen protectors.

Think for now I'm going with the SC and GA, and haul it around in my leather targus tote.

BTW, sharp lookin' setup you got there, Rondz.

MiamiBourne
Apr 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
I was suppose to post this in another thread about the TPU Smart Cover case from eBay but since this is the most current one. Here it is, I have the grey smart cover with the grey TPU smart cover case. For the price, it does exactly what it is made to do, compatibility with the smart cover and protection.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover004.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover002.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover008.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover007.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/rondz05/Apple%20iPad%202%2016GB%20White/iPad2TPUSmartCover006.jpg

Until my AViiQ case comes in, this will do! :)

Rondz, can you provide the link where you got your case from? I got the black Tpu case but I think I want the grey to match my grey smart cover. That or a clear. I got mine from cimo technology. He has a grey smart cover but his pics look like it's a dark gray, not light like yours.

Jhutchings
Apr 19, 2011, 03:26 PM
Rondz, can you provide the link where you got your case from? I got the black Tpu case but I think I want the grey to match my grey smart cover. That or a clear. I got mine from cimo technology. He has a grey smart cover but his pics look like it's a dark gray, not light like yours.

I have the grey from cimo technology and the grey smart cover, they match really well. From the pictures posted of the grey case on this thread it looks to match perftectly with my color. Looking at my case and smart cover now and the grey on both looks to be a really close match.

MiamiBourne
Apr 19, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have the grey from cimo technology and the grey smart cover, they match really well. From the pictures posted of the grey case on this thread it looks to match perftectly with my color. Looking at my case and smart cover now and the grey on both looks to be a really close match.

Great. I'll just order the grey then from Cimo since I've bought from them before. Thanks guys for the responses.

gigaguy
Apr 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
Please describe the back and edge texture of this case. I want grippy texture and no gloss. Is it slippery at all, rubbery? Looks like the front lip is gloss in pix here, which is ok. It's the back and edges I want matte and grip on. The ebay pix of the black one shows matte on the front edge but buyers are getting glossy front edge.
My first choice would be black but I'd go to another color for the matte, grippy back texture. It looks a little thick, too, does it add measurable thickness? I have another TPU case that looks thinner.
thanks.

benjayman2
Apr 19, 2011, 07:53 PM
I like the grey/grey combo. Thanks for the pics

Jhutchings
Apr 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
Please describe the back and edge texture of this case. I want grippy texture and no gloss. Is it slippery at all, rubbery? Looks like the front lip is gloss in pix here, which is ok. It's the back and edges I want matte and grip on. The ebay pix of the black one shows matte on the front edge but buyers are getting glossy front edge.
My first choice would be black but I'd go to another color for the matte, grippy back texture. It looks a little thick, too, does it add measurable thickness? I have another TPU case that looks thinner.
thanks.

The back of the grey one is matte finish. The front is gloss and you do get a nice grip on the back. I would say it does add some thickness to the iPad but for me the combination of the grey smart cover and grey case is really nice. I just received my Portenzo case today and really it is very nice. But with the TPU case and smart cover I don't have to worry about hurting anything. For me I really like this combination. I don't think it adds to much bulk.

rondz
Apr 20, 2011, 02:14 AM

The seller on eBay is futureonestop. You have to tell him that you'd like grey for your case color, upon request it will be done. As for the back finish it's matte and has a nice grip feeling and adds some thickness but feels safe that way. I forgot to mention I am also using a generic invisible shield under it too, so it's compatible with some ghost armor/invisible shield protectors too.

ladysman
Apr 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
I actually like the Gray/Gray as well (I have a gray smart cover). Although I ordered Clear. For $15, I'll order another one..lol

sparkstsa
Apr 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
Here are some quick pictures of the clear version. I have the black one too.

inksofmemories
Apr 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
the clear is TPU also or is it hard plastic?

sparkstsa
Apr 23, 2011, 01:23 PM
TPU just like the black and grey versions ... it has a slight texture to it. I like it!

ladysman
Apr 25, 2011, 12:27 PM
I got my TPU case. Only complaint is on the dock connector end, it's weak and the ipad falls out of the case. Anyone else experience this? if not, i'll see if they send me another one. I don't know how else to explain it.

JTravers
Apr 25, 2011, 01:23 PM
I got my TPU case. Only complaint is on the dock connector end, it's weak and the ipad falls out of the case. Anyone else experience this? if not, i'll see if they send me another one. I don't know how else to explain it.

I don't think there is much that can be done about that because of how much material needs to be cut out to accommodate the dock connector. You get the same kind of problem, albeit to a lesser extent, around the volume rocker, too.

ladysman
Apr 25, 2011, 02:14 PM
I don't think there is much that can be done about that because of how much material needs to be cut out to accommodate the dock connector. You get the same kind of problem, albeit to a lesser extent, around the volume rocker, too.

OK, so i'm not the only one. Mine is fine around the volume side. just dock connector area. Other than that, it does exactly what it's suppose to for me. I wanted to protect it a little from my kids..lol

ninerfan
Apr 25, 2011, 07:35 PM
I also got the inexpensive one from eBay. Great fit and it makes handling a lot more comfortable. What I hate and am so disappointed in is the Smart Cover. :(. Feels cheaper than the $13.99 eBay backing. Going to return it and look for another option.

skaterboy
Apr 27, 2011, 08:50 PM
I love my eBay case but just realized my headphone jack does not fit as the hole is not lined up. Anyone have this issue? I'm using the apple headphones. Thanks.

KingSK88
Apr 29, 2011, 02:05 AM
Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to cut a perfect circle in the back of the case to show the Apple symbol...

slapinmike
Apr 29, 2011, 06:13 AM
is this case kind of hard that it holds onto the sides of the ipad, or is the hold very loose like those silicon ipad cases?

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 06:53 AM
is this case kind of hard that it holds onto the sides of the ipad, or is the hold very loose like those silicon ipad cases?

The TPU cases have enough flex that they cannot grip the sides like a true hard case (kind of annoying, considering that the no name ebay sellers often advertise them as hard cases). They require a lip that grasps the very edge of the screen.

I would have been all right with the ones I had, but my screen protector also went to the very edge of the screen. So the TPU case would detach the edges of my screen protector no matter how carefully I put it on. If your protector has a gap and doesn't go all the way to the edge of the screen, it would probably work.

slapinmike
Apr 29, 2011, 07:24 AM
i currently have a silicon case from ebay, but its very loose. Just by passing by finger over it, the lip detaches from the ipad. Is this the same with this one or is it a little more sturdy?

supermanfan
Apr 29, 2011, 02:39 PM
I got my grey TPU back from the same ebay seller as the one pictured on page 1.

Nice quality, great fit. Only complaint is that the headphone hole is slightly off. Apple headset still snaps in and works, so only an aesthetic issue.

EDIT: Did some more stretching on the top of the cover. Headset jack hole aligns fine. Cannot be happier.

EDIT: It is now peeling up the edges of my screen protector skin. Not a deal breaker, I can live without the skin.

Hackint0sh814
Apr 29, 2011, 04:39 PM
I would love to get the clear one if it worked with my Logitech keyboard case. Just to keep the back protected, but I think I'm going to have to go with a Invisible shield or something similar.

maniacphoner
Apr 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
They don't look bad at all. Good deal for the price. Thanks!

bobaloba86
Apr 30, 2011, 03:27 AM
I am having so much trouble putting this case on with a screen protector. Any ideas? It's such a tight fit. Where it lifts the screen protector and causes air bubbles..

iTouch.lover22
Apr 30, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'm looking to do the same setup as all of you, but I'm in Australia so I'll have to buy from the local seller on eBay. Does this item http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170628948037&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4304wt_907l look to be the same case as "cimo tech" or the guy you're all buying off in the US? Do all the cut outs look the same, and does it have the same bumpy texture as pictured? Thanks guys :)

supermanfan
Apr 30, 2011, 06:45 PM
I am having so much trouble putting this case on with a screen protector. Any ideas? It's such a tight fit. Where it lifts the screen protector and causes air bubbles..

I gave up on the screen protector. Peeled it off.

ijustgraduated
Mar 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Came across this thread after searching for information. reviews on amazon say the case described in this thread also fits the new iPad: (http://www.amazon.com/Cimo-Smart-Cover-Companion-Compatible/product-reviews/B004VFKANM/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending) the screen protector issue will probably be magnified since they are saying it is tighter for the updated version. Cimo has an iPad 3 version available too (http://www.amazon.com/Cimo-Smart-Compatible-Companion-Generation/dp/B007LGD8O6/ref=sr_1_4?m=A2X1DSC0SAJ94E&ie=UTF8&qid=1332172598&sr=1-4)which i assume will no longer have this. I'll find out soon enough though