PDA

View Full Version : New PowerBook turns itself off...??

PieMac
Mar 5, 2005, 05:21 PM
I've had my new 1.67 15" PowerBook for a little over a week and it has turned itself off twice now. Both times it was plugged into the power adapter and in sleep mode. Has anybody else experienced this or know what this is about? Perhaps it is a safey measure in the event of a power surge? (I also have it plugged into a surge protector just for good measure).

aplasticspork
Mar 5, 2005, 05:38 PM
I've had my new 1.67 15" PowerBook for a little over a week and it has turned itself off twice now. Both times it was plugged into the power adapter and in sleep mode. Has anybody else experienced this or know what this is about? Perhaps it is a safey measure in the event of a power surge? (I also have it plugged into a surge protector just for good measure).
i dont know if this is the case for the new powerbooks, but we have a titanium 1 Ghz and when it's plugged in, after it charges all the way it stops charging as if the computer isnt plugged in (no power goes through the power cord). then eventually the battery runs down and the computer shuts itself off. if you unplug it and plug it back in it starts charging again. good luck. :)
--andrzej

puckhead193
Mar 5, 2005, 05:44 PM
my brother's dual 2.5 G5 turns off by itself to...weird huh :confused:

PieMac
Mar 5, 2005, 05:53 PM
i dont know if this is the case for the new powerbooks, but we have a titanium 1 Ghz and when it's plugged in, after it charges all the way it stops charging as if the computer isnt plugged in (no power goes through the power cord). then eventually the battery runs down and the computer shuts itself off. if you unplug it and plug it back in it starts charging again. good luck. :)
--andrzej

Hmmm...no, I don't think the newer models do this...the 17" PowerBook (third generation) that I just sold never had this problem and always kept a charge when plugged in as does my partner's new 12" PB.

Apple
Mar 6, 2005, 10:26 AM
I heard that 10.3.8 sometimes throws the computer into a random shut down, but my ibook never does it so it must be a pb problem

PieMac
Mar 6, 2005, 12:06 PM
I heard that 10.3.8 sometimes throws the computer into a random shut down, but my ibook never does it so it must be a pb problem

I am running the latest version...10.3.8. But I haven't heard of this problem. Will do some research and see if I can come up with anything.