PDA

View Full Version : My beloved Powerbook!!! 8(

dazzer21
Apr 19, 2011, 03:11 AM
My 10 year old G4 Powerbook (192Mb, 10Gb, 400MHz, OS9.1) is playing up after not having skipped a beat once!!! It's been lugged around with me everywhere and I can count the number System Error 10s on the fingers of one hand! However, it looks like it's making up for all that now.

Upon startup, it chimes but it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get it booted - sometimes it gets so far through the load up process and freezes, or the screen doesn't come on at all yet it remains on; when it DOES boot, it reports a problem with the cache memory and the need to call a technician. The only way I've been able to get is working with any sort of 'reliability' is by using the master reset button on the back. It doesn't recognise boot-up key strokes either, so I can't zap the PRAM or start from the optical drive.

Unless I'm wrong, the cache RAM is on the processor, which is soldered - so do I have a dead Mac? I'm in the fragmented process of pulling everything off it but is it too much to expect that this may be able to be restored to a state of ultimate reliability again? Don't trust it at the moment...

adcx64
Apr 19, 2011, 01:27 PM
sounds like a logic board problem to me. Also, it could be the hard drive, try replacing that.:apple:

goMac
Apr 19, 2011, 05:14 PM
Most definitely a dead logic board (really the processor, but in since the processor is soldered to the logic board...)

adcx64
Apr 19, 2011, 05:20 PM
it would be more work to replace the logic board than the laptop itself. try ebay, for a new one.