PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Smart Covers?

jps1012
Apr 19, 2011, 08:54 AM
I am getting an ipad 2 next month. I am thinking about getting a smart cover and a power support SP. Now that people have had smart covers for some time what's the thought on it? Is it as good as apple made it look? Are there better options? Thanks!

iLucas
Apr 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
I am getting an ipad 2 next month. I am thinking about getting a smart cover and a power support SP. Now that people have had smart covers for some time what's the thought on it? Is it as good as apple made it look? Are there better options? Thanks!

I think the smart cover is an okay idea. Having one, I like it, but it provides no protection for the back so I use a different case most of the time. I got my other case from amazon and it protects the back and sides nicely. It was $10, compared to the $39 or $69 you pay for the smart cover.

maclaptop
Apr 19, 2011, 09:00 AM
The only thing smart is how much money Apple makes off these. It's Apple's marketing that's brilliant, the cover? A cheap scam. Look elsewhere

glen e

They work well for what they are- a cover
Do a search- read for days

jps1012
I think the smart cover is an okay idea. Having one, I like it, but it provides no protection for the back so I use a different case most of the time. I got my other case from amazon and it protects the back and sides nicely. It was $10, compared to the $39 or $69 you pay for the smart cover.

Thanks! Can you post a link to it?

prot0type
Apr 19, 2011, 09:08 AM
Initially I thought it was a good idea, even ordered one when they were first announced. However, once I received, I already planned to return it. Two shortcomings that stood out, as already mentioned, lack of rear protection. 2nd and if I'm wrong, please correct me, but it seems that its unable to prop the iPad up in portrait mode? Kinda silly especially with the camera and FaceTime, just seems more natural.

jedolley
Apr 19, 2011, 11:11 AM
IMO, I think it all depends on how you use your iPad and how cases/accessories compliment that. It took me awhile during the first iPad to discover that I really don't have a use for folio style cases. I think some of them are rather nice, but for how I use my iPad day-to-day, they didn't work for me. I ended up using the Belkin Grip Vue for protection and added grip and it felt right to me.

The smart cover can be a nice complementary accessory to anyone that likes to use their iPad nekkid, with a skin, or shell. For someone like me that likes to use a shell or TPU skin, the smart cover gives me the added functionality (screen cover, typing and viewing stand) that I did not have before, that I was missing with the folio, but without the permanency of a folio. When I don't need any of those features, I can simply remove it.

I think the part a lot of people get hung up on is the price. For what it is and what it is made of, the smart cover is over priced. We can probably say that about a lot iPad accessories, but IMO definitely with the smart cover. I was aware of that, but bought one anyways. I like it, and think it complements how I use my iPad well, and I am aware of the premium I paid (still manage to get a "deal", $58.xx for Leather Navy at AAFES.com and no tax). When it comes to iPad cases, "different strokes, for different folks", and the smart cover is no exception.

Now I just have to find "MY" smart cover compatible skin/shell. :D

xraytech
Apr 19, 2011, 11:49 AM
I like my Smart Cover just the right amount of Ding Protection without adding girth to my iPad 2. People complaint that it doesn't protect the back, well I have an iCarbon for that.

Also if I want the Smart Cover off, it's off. As with other cases you have to pull and pry off.

canyonblue737
Apr 19, 2011, 11:59 AM
I have used my black leather a month and it has stayed in great condition and is easy to clean. It does what the video shows, and well. Essentially no increase in size to iPad, magnetic alignment is easy and instant, stays closed, works great with the new auto on/off feature and is very stable in keyboard and movie positions.

That said I am done with it. I just ordered the Yoobao leather case (the new version with fixes) that is just like the iPad 1 case because while I liked the smart cover a lot, I simply am tired of "babying" my iPad to prevent scratches on the back and worrying that someone will pickup my iPad wrong and detach the smart cover letting it drop. I loved the Apple iPad case for the first gen and thought it looked classy and while the smart cover looks "better" having the full coverage all in one soultion is what really is right for me.

Smart Cover = nice idea, might work for some people but the lack of real coverage makes this a poor solution for many.

glen e
Apr 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Smart Cover = nice idea, might work for some people but the lack of real coverage makes this a poor solution for many.

I don't see it as a failed idea, only an idea which opened up the ipad cottage industry to skins and backs...and much more plentiful and in variety that what apple would have done.

but apple is happy - remember "collect them all" - LOL.....

Legion93
Apr 19, 2011, 12:45 PM
Smart covers are a really good idea, it adds some protection without sacrificing weight and does not add bulk to the iPad. It depends on what colour iPad you're going to buy. A black iPad will go flawlessly with a black cover, but since it's only available in leather, it will cost a premium. If you're planning on getting a White one, get a cream leather, as it makes it look more stylish and elegant. They also match in colour as well.