PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2 & MBA

mattpreston11
Apr 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
Anyone given it a shot?

Oli3000
Apr 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
Played for about 3 hours this morning on my MBA ultra! All settings on high at native resolution, 2xMSAA, trilinear filtering. Turned sound down to medium quality as I had some jumping in the computers voice, but I think that may have been intentional!

Worked a treat - loved it!

Chopstick217
Apr 19, 2011, 11:12 AM
Played for about 3 hours this morning on my MBA ultra! All settings on high at native resolution, 2xMSAA, trilinear filtering. Turned sound down to medium quality as I had some jumping in the computers voice, but I think that may have been intentional!

That's great to hear! Going to get me a copy now :)

ZuluDaddy
Apr 19, 2011, 11:25 AM
Played for about 3 hours this morning on my MBA ultra! All settings on high at native resolution, 2xMSAA, trilinear filtering.

Is that on an 11" or 13"?

AbbieNormal
Apr 19, 2011, 11:35 AM

It looked great on my MBA 13" Ultimate. I noted the same audio stuttering a couple of times and will change the audio settings. I ran subtitles during the parts where the audio was choppy and I think it was a computer problem rather than intentional design.

fs454
Apr 19, 2011, 02:03 PM
Runs perfect on my ultimate 11" MBA w/ 10.6.7 installed via non-combo update straight from the website, NOT Software Update.app.

All settings on high, 1366x768 native res, trilinear filtering with 2x AA gives me ~40fps average. It even runs smooth on "Laptop power savings" mode which reduces load on the CPU/GPU and shoots for a 30fps average, giving pretty decent battery life as well.

So happy with this machine.

secksthoi
Apr 19, 2011, 02:15 PM
Are you guys running the game on Windows or OSX?

rgs3
Apr 19, 2011, 03:01 PM
I am unable to play at all. I set the resolution down 1280x720 with no AA and still not playable at all. Extremely choppy and unresponsive around 10 FPS. Using native resolution is ridiculous at 1-3 FPS with AA on lowest setting.
I am running on a 1 month old MBA 11 Ultimate - bought refurb. Running OS X 10.6.7. Rebooted and still played just as horrible. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

How is it that you guys are showing such different numbers? Is my unit defective? I also have issues playing Netflix full screen but figured that was just Silverlight being coded poorly.
Advice?

fs454
Apr 19, 2011, 03:01 PM
Are you guys running the game on Windows or OSX?

I'm on OS X, 10.6.7 on my 11".

yly3
Apr 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
I'm curious about the basic 11". That would be damn impressive. Of course on low settings. Would it work ?

fs454
Apr 19, 2011, 03:04 PM
I am unable to play at all. I set the resolution down 1280x720 with no AA and still not playable at all. Extremely choppy and unresponsive around 10 FPS. Using native resolution is ridiculous at 1-3 FPS with AA on lowest setting.
I am running on a 1 month old MBA 11 Ultimate - bought refurb. Running OS X 10.6.7. Rebooted and still played just as horrible. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

How is it that you guys are showing such different numbers? Is my unit defective? I also have issues playing Netflix full screen but figured that was just Silverlight being coded poorly.
Advice?

I think you're the victim of the 10.6.7 issues plaguing the 2010 MBAs. Unfortunately I think you need to wait until Apple releases a fix, restore from a backup before you installed 10.6.7, or reinstall the OS from the USB restore drive and do incremental(not combo) updates from the Apple support/downloads site, instead of from software update.

Really stupid issue and Apple needs to get on this ASAP. It helps if you report this issue to them, to get on their backs about fixing it or releasing 10.6.8 faster.

fs454
Apr 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm curious about the basic 11". That would be damn impressive. Of course on low settings. Would it work ?

I'm willing to bet the base model will run it at near-similar settings to mine, maybe medium-high. My CPU doesn't seem to be maxed out during play.

rgs3
Apr 19, 2011, 03:40 PM
I think you're the victim of the 10.6.7 issues plaguing the 2010 MBAs. Unfortunately I think you need to wait until Apple releases a fix, restore from a backup before you installed 10.6.7, or reinstall the OS from the USB restore drive and do incremental(not combo) updates from the Apple support/downloads site, instead of from software update.

Really stupid issue and Apple needs to get on this ASAP. It helps if you report this issue to them, to get on their backs about fixing it or releasing 10.6.8 faster.

ohh..so theres an issue with 10.6.7? That makes me feel better knowing its not (hopefully) a hardware issue. Will backup and re-install to see if that fixes things...thx!

Flake
Apr 19, 2011, 04:58 PM
how hot does it make your computer run? I want Portal 2 but I don't want my macbook air to melt..the CPU goes up to 80 degrees celsius when I play youtube videos according to iStat..:(

Chopstick217
Apr 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
ohh..so theres an issue with 10.6.7? That makes me feel better knowing its not (hopefully) a hardware issue. Will backup and re-install to see if that fixes things...thx!

Make sure you don't use the combo update. Install each update separately and you won't encounter the issue with decreased gaming performance.

Oli3000
Apr 19, 2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry - 13" ultra.

I am running 10.6.7 and have not noticed any of the performance issues others mentioned. I used the combo update also...

fs454
Apr 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
how hot does it make your computer run? I want Portal 2 but I don't want my macbook air to melt..the CPU goes up to 80 degrees celsius when I play youtube videos according to iStat..:(

These computers were built to withstand the thermal limitations of their CPU/GPU. Apple would not have used these components if they went beyond their max operating temps by simply putting them under load.

You could technically play Portal 2 and leave it running for weeks with no issue, and if there were any issues, there's something wrong with your MBA and Apple should fix it.

I just got done with a 3-hour session of maxed out Portal 2 on my 11" laying in bed. Runs great.

ZombieZakk
Apr 19, 2011, 10:59 PM
this is not directly pertaining to portal 2 but i figured id ask here has anyone with an 11" ultimate tried gaming on an external monitor? something with 1600x900 or 1900x1200 resoluton like a 20-23" monitor.

ive seen the 11"ultimate has proven very capable but im curious on how it performs while driving the monitor.

kamuix
Apr 19, 2011, 11:36 PM
portal 2 runs decent on my mba 13 inch base. i have aa off, shaders on low, while everything else is medium. the game runs find, just some areas there is a quick stutter to load the level. gameplay wise, no hiccups or slow downs. i also play on a 24 inch external monitor at 1920x1200.

ZombieZakk
Apr 19, 2011, 11:51 PM
portal 2 runs decent on my mba 13 inch base. i have aa off, shaders on low, while everything else is medium. the game runs find, just some areas there is a quick stutter to load the level. gameplay wise, no hiccups or slow downs. i also play on a 24 inch external monitor at 1920x1200.

cool thank you im glad to hear it will run decent.

Oli3000
Apr 20, 2011, 10:30 AM
Two more things to add:

Played a few hours of co-op today on FULL settings on my 13" ultimate - and it coped absolutely fine. Just ensure nothing in the background, and expect a stutter on first loading of textures, but after that - fine!

On another note - on co-op in the last chamber before the end of the game, there appears to be a bug that crashed my MBA no less than 5 times (regardless of settings, tried alsorts!), without crashing my companions laptop. Be warned! The game is still completable though without doing that. You'll find out when you get there :)

rgs3
Apr 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
Make sure you don't use the combo update. Install each update separately and you won't encounter the issue with decreased gaming performance.

How do I know which update to install? I'm on Apples download site now and I see they have the combo update 10.6.7 along with some older 2008 updates as well. How do I install these updates seperately? I'm a new MAC convert noob, so any assistance getting to 10.6.7 WITHOUT the offending update thats causing my issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

fs454
Apr 20, 2011, 02:40 PM
How do I know which update to install? I'm on Apples download site now and I see they have the combo update 10.6.7 along with some older 2008 updates as well. How do I install these updates seperately? I'm a new MAC convert noob, so any assistance getting to 10.6.7 WITHOUT the offending update thats causing my issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1363 I used this one. You have to be on 10.6.6 to use it. If you're not, search the website for each version respectively, instead of using one that says "combo".

Just beat the singleplayer of Portal 2, such a good game. Now for coop!

rgs3
Apr 20, 2011, 03:16 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1363 I used this one. You have to be on 10.6.6 to use it. If you're not, search the website for each version respectively, instead of using one that says "combo".

Just beat the singleplayer of Portal 2, such a good game. Now for coop!
Thanks for the info!
So this update gets me to 10.6.7 but its not the combo update, right? What exactly does the "combo" exactly do that screws things up?

rgs3
Apr 20, 2011, 03:19 PM
Is it ok that I installed the 10.6.6 combo update and NOT the 10.6.7 combo update? In other words, is it just the 10.6.7 combo update that screws things up? So I can safely now install the non-combo update to 10.6.7?

secksthoi
Apr 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
I'm on OS X, 10.6.7 on my 11".

So strange because I am running the original Portal on OSX 10.6.6 and I have to set some areas to lower settings so it doesn't lag. I can't even imagine running Portal 2.. Am I doing something wrong?

fs454
Apr 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
So strange because I am running the original Portal on OSX 10.6.6 and I have to set some areas to lower settings so it doesn't lag. I can't even imagine running Portal 2.. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure what's wrong, I mean, on really, really complex areas i'll get a drop to like 23fps but it doesn't last long enough to warrant lowering the settings as most of the time I'm above 45 fps.

Portal 2 has less in the way of graphics settings, but for Portal 1, try going High for textures, models, and effects, turn AA off if there's an option, put on AF(Anisotropic Filtering) to say, 2x or 4x, shadows low, motion blur off(not even an option in 2), and the native resolution of your display.

Also put your sound quality to Low as for some reason it causes strange stuttering otherwise. I didn't notice too much of a difference in sound quality when switching.

rgs3
Apr 21, 2011, 08:37 PM
ok, after multiple reinstalls and various updates with or without combo etc I've FINALLY found out why Portal was running so ****** on my 11" ultimate...........it was an app called MOOM effing everything up. Its an app I got in the app store that changes the behavior of the maximize button... weird. I disabled everything non essential that was running and Portal started to run perfectly just as others have described, not the usual 1-5 FPS i was getting. So I launched all the apps I had previously closed out of one by one and that one app consistently produces HORRIBLE gameplay when its running.
Hope this helps anyone else having similar issues.
:D

ZOMGVTEK
Apr 22, 2011, 03:49 PM
My 11" Base MBA plays Portal 2 perfect in Windows. CPU load stays around 40-60%, only about 1-1.5GB RAM used peak in W7 x64. With the 320M at stock clocks, it plays it with everything cranked, no issues at all. 16xQAA, Very High, ETC. I have the 'battery saver' on that limits to to 30 FPS, since it looks perfectly fine to me like that, and then it is almost silent. This game is very efficient. The GPU load never goes above about 50% load at 30 FPS, it keeps flipping between idle and load 3D clocks. It does closer to 60-70 FPS without the limiter, and closer to 80 fps with the video card over clocked to 575/1300 which is where I normally run it in Windows. But this increases power consumption, heat output, and noise... So I just play it at stock clocks and 30 FPS.

Flake
Apr 28, 2011, 12:18 AM
These computers were built to withstand the thermal limitations of their CPU/GPU. Apple would not have used these components if they went beyond their max operating temps by simply putting them under load.

You could technically play Portal 2 and leave it running for weeks with no issue, and if there were any issues, there's something wrong with your MBA and Apple should fix it.

I just got done with a 3-hour session of maxed out Portal 2 on my 11" laying in bed. Runs great.

thanks, that is good to know

I just played a bit of the original Portal. my CPU temp was at 80-85 deg celsius, the fans screaming at 6500rpm..is that normal?

Lars Petersen
Apr 28, 2011, 01:01 AM
How do you install Portal. Do you use Steam or buy the game direct somewhere?