Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gliderguider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Hi all,

I bought my wife an iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago, and she absolutely loves it of course. She is now asking if she could get her work emails etc from the device. She works for a small ish charity that only employs something like 15 employees. The company that run the IT network are suggesting that it will need webmail access using ssl certificates. I'm fairly certain that this is not the case. I presume that they would set up the device and exchange server to use the activesync service that is built in to exchange, through port 443.

These ssl certificates are being quoted at around £200/yr which seems ridiculous. Her main computer at work is a laptop that she can bring home and work through our own wifi connection, VPN and Outlook access, the lot.

How is the iPad setup going to cost anything when it can be done from a laptop, seemingly for no extra cost.

Yours confused

Andy

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
If the company allows active sync access for their employee's phones then it should work on the iPad. One of the many advantages of using a mobile OS.

Gliderguider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Problem solved, it seems that the net admin company did a bit more research, then created a VPN to the company network then connected to the mail server.

No ssl certificate costs involved.

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.