Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Hi there
well I love the iPad for photos (except you cannot command-i etc etc) music (except it is often hard to squeeze the page and go backwards to the list when somethings playing) and podcasts (except they have a strange and very annoying echoey sound... tho music OK)
I hate it for Safari (it always wants to reload the page when you do something else and come back...not good with the internet avilablility in Thailand here....can't it have an option to just keep the page in the background!).
I hate it because I was on NOTES last night and after a lot of typing (a somewhat painful process where it keeps breaking into new sentences but you don't see it because you have to keep and eye on the keyboard) i deleted backwards a word or two and it just kept ticking/deleting backwards I lost several paragraphs and had to close the app.
I hate it because it doesn't work right in forums.....I often simply cannot write in the box.....maybe even with this forum (I'm on my Macbook)
I got round the Safari page reload by downloading The Perfect Browser but sadly it ain't perfect and very very....too.....regularly crashes altogether.
I hate the limited text ability of the keyboard no forwd or back delete or shortcuts.

SO there's a start of my whingeing.
I cannot be doing things right, so many people seem happy with their iPads.

Can anyone help me a BIT.......say with how do I get round the Safari reload thing and get it to hold a page so I can read later out of internet range

thanx so much
Cheeryble

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Hi there
well I love the iPad for photos (except you cannot command-i etc etc) music (except it is often hard to squeeze the page and go backwards to the list when somethings playing) and podcasts (except they have a strange and very annoying echoey sound... tho music OK)
I hate it for Safari (it always wants to reload the page when you do something else and come back...not good with the internet avilablility in Thailand here....can't it have an option to just keep the page in the background!).
I hate it because I was on NOTES last night and after a lot of typing (a somewhat painful process where it keeps breaking into new sentences but you don't see it because you have to keep and eye on the keyboard) i deleted backwards a word or two and it just kept ticking/deleting backwards I lost several paragraphs and had to close the app.
I hate it because it doesn't work right in forums.....I often simply cannot write in the box.....maybe even with this forum (I'm on my Macbook)
I got round the Safari page reload by downloading The Perfect Browser but sadly it ain't perfect and very very....too.....regularly crashes altogether.
I hate the limited text ability of the keyboard no forwd or back delete or shortcuts.

SO there's a start of my whingeing.
I cannot be doing things right, so many people seem happy with their iPads.

Can anyone help me a BIT.......say with how do I get round the Safari reload thing and get it to hold a page so I can read later out of internet range

thanx so much
Cheeryble

Sorry you have a love/hate relationship with your iPad. For first time users, it does take some getting used to with the on-screen keyboard.

I would also suggest a different browser, one that allows you to open sites in different tabs, so you don't need to keep switching pages. ICab has many useful features that you would normally find only in a desktop browser. It even incorporates useful modules that are similar to extensions found in Firefox.

As for your trouble with posting in forums, there is a simple solution. When i opened this page to reply to your post, I deliberately included your quote, so that all the text would be larger than the actual box I am typing in, (assuming this is your problem in forums such as this one.) i think perhaps you are having trouble scrolling within a text box because there is no "visible" scroll bar. Instead, place TWO fingers on the screen and drag up, (keeping them BOTH on the screen). This will allow you to negotiate up or down within an area where text would otherwise be hidden or inaccessable.

For your Photos, there are a number of apps that have more functionality, such as the ability to rotate, rename, edit pictures. You can also sort them into albums that you create. I use "Photo Sort" - it has a very easy and practical interface.
I encourage you to persist with your iPad; trust me, you will become as addicted as the rest of us. Keep asking questions when you run into problems - there is usually a simple answer.:)

Last edited:

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Sorry you have a love/hate relationship with your iPad. For first time users, it does take some getting used to with the on-screen keyboard.

I would also suggest a different browser, one that allows you to open sites in different tabs, so you don't need to keep switching pages. ICab has many useful features that you would normally find only in a desktop browser. It even incorporates useful modules that are similar to extensions found in Firefox.

As for your trouble with posting in forums, there is a simple solution. When i opened this page to reply to your post, I deliberately included your quote, so that all the text would be larger than the actual box I am typing in, (assuming this is your problem in forums such as this one.) i think perhaps you are having trouble scrolling within a text box because there is no "visible" scroll bar. Instead, place TWO fingers on the screen and drag up, (keeping them BOTH on the screen). This will allow you to negotiate up or down within an area where text would otherwise be hidden or inaccessable.

For your Photos, there are a number of apps that have more functionality, such as the ability to rotate, rename, edit pictures. You can also sort them into albums that you create. I use "Photo Sort" - it has a very easy and practical interface.
I encourage you to persist with your iPad; trust me, you will become as addicted as the rest of us. Keep asking questions when you run into problems - there is usually a simple answer.:)

Thanx Defbref I loaded Atomic which so far hasn't crashed
But thanx especially Lauren
I already am doing the two finger scroll in the macrumours box.
I'm going to another forum to test where I'm sure it wouldn't even let me into the box.
I'll check out the photo app and get back to you I do have. One or two apps I haven't really made use of yet.
Do yo not get an echoey thing with podcasts?
Please stick with me you're very helpful!
Cheeryble

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Well Lauren,
Tings ain't so great after all....
I came straight back because. I simply can't make a post on Thaivisa.com.
I left the quote above although it's wrong.
I hit "post reply" started writing, went to do a correction.....which happens all the time with the auto-prompting....and it would not let. Me but instead highlighted the whole damn box and basically not letting me do anything.
So i just posted what i'd put.
So that's two forums which don't work properly, though your advice seems to be working this time and I hit "quote" or whatever you suggested.
In the meantime when I was trying to write ithe Thaivisa forum box my new Atomic. Browser crashed for the first time after it's first day, then did the same three times running.

Is it time to check how many skips my iPad makes as I spin it. Into the water?
Btw I just chose a non-smiley and. It didn't work here,s an old fashioned one at least your two finger scroll's working :-(

BTW I have two photo apps one of which I might evehave paid for.
Photoshop Expressdoes not have even have a simple tool to add text to a photo as far as I can see, neither does Zagg's Photopad.
What sort of app is that...and why doesn't iPhoto do it anyway?

I know I know Lauren....it's not your fault!!

Cheeryble

Last edited by a moderator:

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I came straight back because. I simply can't make a post on Thaivisa.com.
I left the quote above although it's wrong.
I hit "post reply" started writing, went to do a correction.....which happens all the time with the auto-prompting....and it would not let. Me but instead highlighted the whole damn box and basically not letting me do anything.
So i just posted what i'd put.
So that's two forums which don't work properly, though your advice seems to be working this time and I hit "quote" or whatever you suggested.
In the meantime when I was trying to write ithe Thaivisa forum box my new Atomic. Browser crashed for the first time after it's first day, then did the same three times running.

Is it time to check how many skips my iPad makes as I spin it. Into the water?
Btw I just chose a non-smiley and. It didn't work here,s an old fashioned one at least your two finger scroll's working :-(
:eek:Oh dear! Having a bad day are we:rolleyes:? Not to worry, all will eventually come right. When selecting text in a box, if everything is highlighted, lift your finger, then gently place it down again, so that the area is no longer highlighted. Then, click on just one word, hit "select" then drag the little vertical bars just over the words you want to correct. It takes a little getting used to, but you will get the hang of this in time.

Are you using the free version of Atomic? Not sure if the paid offers more features, but I have to say, my browser of choice is always iCab. I find with Atomic, that if I "overload" it too much, it does quit on me.iCab never crashes on me, has so many useful built-in features, AND you can upload pictures to your forum post; (to be honest, I have not tried this in Atomic.)

BTW I have two photo apps one of which I might evehave paid for.
Photoshop Expressdoes not have even have a simple tool to add text to a photo as far as I can see, neither does Zagg's Photopad.
What sort of app is that...and why doesn't iPhoto do it anyway?

I know I know Lauren....it's not your fault!!

Cheeryble
The app I use to edit the names of photos, place them in different albums that I create, etc, is called "Photo-Sort". Here is a screen shot of an Album I created ON the iPad, called "PRAGUE '10", and I am editing a picture called "CITY SQUARE":

photo-2.jpg

edit: please don't drop your iPad into that spin-cycle!!:)

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I too recommend the iCab browser it's money well spend and fixed my problems with posting into forums.
It let's you change the browser id to pretty much any make like safari for Mac or windows or into Internet explorer.
You can also download files and open them in different apps like good reader or move them to dropbox.

It also let you open multiple tabs and keeps the reloading of pages to a minimum.

Good luck!

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Well I haven't tried iCab yet.
But on another thread I have documented my attempts to post on forums with three different browsers, Perfect Browser, Atomic and Safari.
Safari wouldn't post. Atomic and Perfect would post if it was a good day, but Perfect crashed nearly every time, Atomic only crashed once or twice, and Safari wouldn't allow posts and still crashed once.
Safari because of no tabs is a non starter for general use and is so slow as to make life unbearable with it's constant re-loading of pages.
This is all in the past.
Tonight though, I clicked a link from mail. It would only of course open in Safari. The link was to a forum and I could not get a cursor in the box.
I decided to check a stock, SLV, in google finance. I got the chart up, EXCEPT it was completely useless. Not only could I not "wind" it to show as long a time period as I wished nor click 3days/1 month/6 motnhs/one year/5 years/max
and get any result.....it wouldn't even show more than a day to start with.
So what else could I try?
The next thing didn't work right either.......I'm bored going on about it.
All i know is I'm back home on my Macbook now and I can use the damn thing productively. The iPad however is two and a quarter steps away from useless. I'm seriosuly thinking of giving it away to someone who does nothing but look at photos or listen to music, they will probably be quite happy.

Cheeryble

OK I'll tell you what else I wasted time on.
I opened Dropbox fgor the first time.
It told me to drag and drop files into it. SO I went to Goodreader and tried to drag files from it. They don't drag. This sort of simplistic undetailed instruction seems to be typical of many other things I've found on the iPad.
I went to Atomic and opened three tabs. As I was looking at one I wanted to go back to another. I looked and saw that it was now reloading like Safari does with it's pages. I waited. And I waited. And then tried Atomic settings to change that. After looking I don't believe it CAN change.
I got a good book out.

Last edited:

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I accidentally opened Safari.
I normally refuse to use it but Mail opens it sometimes and it seems I can't change that default (is that so experts it seems rather anticompetitive given Safari is so useless)?

Anyway That drew me to iPocket draw, whihc may or may not have cost me money I can't remember. I spent wuite some time drawing a map. Ithen tried toinsert a photo. I wasn't very happy that one has to scroll and scroll Just as with webpages and elsewhere (tell me it ain't so iPad experts!) anyway near the bottom I found my pic and clicked to insert it. Guess what?
Like Safari, Atomic, and worst of all the Perfect (sic) Browser......it froze, and like so many times before, I'd wasted my time.

Cheers
Cheeryble

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.