Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2004
I'll start :)

One friend bought a $400 set of headphones in the airport bc he was hungover, and wanted to sleep on the plane. Now he bought a 64gb AT&T iPad 2 and doesn't want to pay $5 for goodreader to have a much better PDF experience than iBooks :(

Another friend has a 64gb 3G iPad 1 and has only installed a weather app besides the default. No movies, music, or any media....

These are just iPad stores, I have many more about Macs ;) and cars and houses.

Feel free to share your stories :)

Last edited:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nothing crazy at all. Even my rich friends are nice, and have some sense (otherwise we wouldn't be friends). They have money for nicer things and take amazing, and relatively frequent, vacations. That's it.

Besides, it's not my business how they much stuff they own. If spending $100 for them is like me spending $10, then lucky them.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
One of my best friend has a Gallardo, C63, 335i and the new S4. He's on the other side of the world 6 months out of the year and he has a SLK and 535i over there. That leaves the 4 cars to his younger brother to drive, but I get to drive them once in a while. I'm going to be borrowing 3 cars from him for my wedding. :D

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
The reason I have nice things is that I do not spend money on a lot of smaller, pointless things.

Does this make me rich? meh, perhaps.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I have quite few friends who are very well off. Most of them are quite reasonable, but one is a bit ridiculous. If he buys something one week and the next week it goes on sale, he'll go back to that store and demand the discount on the item. I'm not kidding. I make fun of him for it all the time. :)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
the sad thing is, i don't have any experiences to tell. i don't have any rich friends #fml.

I'm sure you do. You might not have rich friends who make bad decisions, because the number of richers who have money tend not to be showy. The richest guy I know wears a simple white button shirt, jeans, and cowboy boots every day. He drives a lincoln towncar too.

So any number of people you know might be rich, they just invest or aren't showy.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
They're eccentricities of the rich. Peasant folks, like me, can't grasp their way to thinking. My rich (multi-millionaire) uncle wears pants so ugly even Goodwill won't accept them.:eek: From what my uncle tells me, it's a common sight to see a man wearing a $25K Rolex, $2 jeans and a $1 flannel shirt.:)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
The reason I have nice things is that I do not spend money on a lot of smaller, pointless things.

Agreed. Oh, wait, the cool internet parlance is..

^ This.

;)

I don't buy all kinds of crap anymore, but instead focus on a couple of nice things. You do get what you pay for.

And yes, I have (frequently!) caught myself agonizing over whether to spend that $1.99 or not for an app for my $700 iPad. Or even day-to-day things like groceries. Do I buy the $1.29 brand name can of tomatoes, or the $0.99 house brand? Penny wise, pound foolish perhaps?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
For what it's worth, many people appear wealthy by spending money they really don't have, while many others achieve their wealth by spending very little. I know plenty of both.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Many wealthy people keep a low profile. I also find that it depends where in the generational cycle the wealth was accumulated. First generation wealthy are usually notoriously tight-fisted. Second generation tend to spend and splash out. Third try to keep the ship from sinking.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A friend once bought some BMW and wasn't happy with the colour, so he used public transport instead.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
My boss bought a $300,000 couch for his private jet because he needed one, it's custom made and had to go through alot of testing so it won't fly out in an emergency. It's not comfortable at all.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
my boss bought a $300,000 couch for his private jet because he needed one, it's custom made and had to go through alot of testing so it won't fly out in an emergency. It's not comfortable at all.

ikea?

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
For what it's worth, many people appear wealthy by spending money they really don't have, while many others achieve their wealth by spending very little. I know plenty of both.

I recently read The Millionaire Next Door and it claimed that the average millionaire has never bought an expensive watch, drives an average midsize sedan, and lives in a middle class neighborhood.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I recently read The Millionaire Next Door and it claimed that the average millionaire has never bought an expensive watch, drives an average midsize sedan, and lives in a middle class neighbourhood.

Some are less greedy than others, preferring to have a solid family life. :cool:

Others are more insecure, and crave public attention. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.