PDA

View Full Version : iPod Shuffle and iMac G5, USB doesn't fit right?

ftaok
Mar 6, 2005, 12:04 PM
Hey folks,

My sister recently got a G5 iMac and just bought a iPod Shuffle for my niece. They couldn't get the shuffle to connect properly to the iMac. It wouldn't charge or show-up on the desktop.

So I plugged it in on my iBook G3 and it started charging, although it wouldn't show up on the desktop because I didn't install the latest iPod software. Later on, after installing the software, the Shuffle worked fine.

I finally figured out what was wrong with the shuffle iMac connection. If the shuffle was plugged in completely, it wouldn't work. However, if you pulled it out about 3 mm, then it would show up and charge. It was kinda like there should have been a "stopper" piece on the shuffle or the iMac to prevent it from going in too deep.

Anyone have similar problems?

Edit - Changed confusing title. ... OK how can I change the title of the thread as seen from the forum?

CrackedButter
Mar 6, 2005, 01:35 PM
You can't sadly.

m-dogg
Mar 6, 2005, 02:26 PM
I have a Shuffle and an iMac G5, but have not experinced any issues with the USB connections.

chameeeleon
Mar 6, 2005, 02:33 PM
I've got an iMac G5 and a shuffle, and I've had no problems with plugging it in on any of its 3 USB ports. It shows up, gets recognized, charged, etc.
Oh, and the shuffle (to my knowledge) should show up as a drive on your desktop even without the latest iPod software installed.

ftaok
Mar 6, 2005, 04:44 PM
OK, so I guess there must be something going on with their iMac's USB ports or the metal part of the shuffle is too short. Probably something with the iMac. The weird thing is that other USB devices (printers) work fine.

I guess they'll have to call Apple or bring it in to a Genius. Luckily, they live very close to an Apple Store.

jrober
Mar 6, 2005, 05:08 PM
I saw this problem at a friends house today, the issue was with the shuffles USB connector because after adding a trailing USB lead the problem was still there. Apparently on some other discussion sites they reccomended this solution but my friend still has to woggle the Shuffle to get it to charge.

Not the usual good quality from Apple.

John