PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Placed Inside Games

Sun Baked
Sep 17, 2002, 10:18 AM
What do you think about companies buying advertising space inside the games you play?

Product placements invading video games (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/09/17/BU185969.DTL&type=business)

There were the old jokes about companies buying advertising space inside the computer start-up screens and in Windows error messages, hopefully the games are not the first step towards this end.

MacBandit
Sep 17, 2002, 10:27 AM
I think it's a great idea as long is it's done like a movie. On the other hand if it's done like the net?! Can you imagine being in the middle of QuakeIII/Unreal etc. and this pop up window coming up just at the moment you needed to dodge a missile?

My thing is as long as it isn't in your face. I seem to remember there being some advertising in Carmeggedon they had billboards with advertisements and the occasional one on the side of a building. If this can cut the prices of software I'm all for it because quite frankly I think the price of software in general is outrageous.

amnesiac1984
Sep 17, 2002, 10:36 AM
a lot of driving games already have big bilboards with sponsors, althought they may just be there for authenticity rather than being paid for.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 17, 2002, 10:36 AM
There's nothing wrong with it, it makes more money for the game developers who can then spend it on better games.

Besides, it adds a bit of realism and most likely, the game designers will have some fun with it. But I agree with MacBandit, as long as its done as nice product placement as in the movies.

Having to listen to a commercial before playing the game would just get me mad - or an intermission - and now a word from our sponsor.

BUt they could put ads on bilboards and tvs (even commercials) that you'd only watch if you wanted to.

D

Sun Baked
Sep 17, 2002, 10:52 AM
Even in movies the product placements (really psuedo ads) have been really getting insane.

Lawsuits are now being waged over companies who've had their billboards digitally erased to be replaced by a paying sponsor.

EA is just opening the can of worms to the big money to follow, and the assault of products in games.

iGav
Sep 17, 2002, 10:56 AM
I can't say it bothers me......

Wipeout experimented with it back in the mid 90's.....

And I'm very much a driving game fan.... so racing games such as Gran Turismo, F1, WRC etc etc have always had adverts intergrated into them.......

FattyMembrane
Sep 17, 2002, 11:41 AM
i really hate it when entire plot threads of movies revolve around products, its just not what film is supposed to be about. games on the other hand can really benefit from advertising. non-obtrusive advertising in games means that companies can inform you of their products more easily, the game company increases its revenue (and hopefully is able to lower the price of the game), and the more energy agencies are able to focus on concentrated markets, the fewer random pop-up ads we'll see on the internet. if executed properly, everyone wins with game ads (as long as we dont have to fill out a marketing survey every time we feel like playing).

dreamlance
Sep 17, 2002, 02:33 PM
I agree with Dukestreet and MacBandit. I think it adds realism to the game and I'm fine with as long as 1: no commercials or ads before a game or popping up (can I claim it was the ad's fault if my game is ruined?) and 2: the game companies still focus on the game and not waste their resources trying to get big-name brands in.

God, ads in Windows error messages. I can imagine the blue screen of death with a little McDonald's logo quoting "We love to see you smile." Gaahh..

kiwi_the_iwik
Sep 17, 2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
a lot of driving games already have big bilboards with sponsors, althought they may just be there for authenticity rather than being paid for.

A friend of mine used to work for Colgate/Palmolive in Australia as a Product Manager (the lucky guy is now the New South Wales Area Manager for Tooheys "New" - he's in beer for the rest of his days, and he's only 32!!!). Codemasters contacted him once, asking whether they had permission to use his company's product logo in a Playstation title. They were producing their latest driving game at the time - the now-brilliant (and revered) "Toca World Touring Cars" - and wanted true authenticity for their trackside advertising boards around the Adelaide circuit.

Naturally, he said "yes".

I take my hat off to those programmers and production houses that take the time to think of the "little things" that make the games as authentic as they can, even with the limitations of technology they are faced with.

All the more power to them if it means I'll lose myself in the realism they strive to achieve.

:D

barkmonster
Sep 25, 2002, 10:18 AM
i really hate it when entire plot threads of movies revolve around products, its just not what film is supposed to be about.

Independance Day was the biggest mac advert I'd ever seen in my life when I went to see it at the cinema, He even uploads the virus to the mothership with a powerbook!

Of couse we all know that if aliens did come down to earth they wouldn't have "intel inside" stickers on their computers, they'd be too smart for that :D

diorio
Sep 26, 2002, 08:38 AM
As long as it doesn't interfere with playing the game, its okay by me.

beez7777
Sep 27, 2002, 06:42 PM
The most obvious example i can think of is Grand Turismo 2 and 3. You cant drive for a second without seeing a billboard with a car advertisement on it, I dont mind though, because they aren't in your face, and it makes the game a little bit more realstic

beez7777
Sep 27, 2002, 06:49 PM
The most obvious example i can think of is Grand Turismo 2 and 3. You cant drive for a second without seeing a billboard with a car advertisement on it, I dont mind though, because they aren't in your face, and it makes the game a little bit more realstic

buffsldr
Sep 27, 2002, 07:07 PM
they will put in as much advertising as the market will bear. if it became excessive in the opinion of the masses, the market would demand it be reduced. i think we will begin to see companies trying to find the threshold. threshold being defined as the point where them make more money from advertisers, but not to the point of losing more money on sales.

as far as companies taking the money to make better games. i dont see any evidece for that. there may be, but i dont see it posted here. the money may well be put back into the companies margins