Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Hi all:

Here is my situation: I have a Mac Pro that contains my main administrator account (the one that gets used 99.9% of the time and which has all my files and applications), as well as a smaller account for my wife. In her account is her iTunes library, which has grown tremendously over the last few years. We download songs from iTunes (or rip them from CDs) into my account, then copy them to her account, so that any song on "her side" is also on my side. Since her account has gotten so big, I figured it would be easier and save a lot of space if I made a playlist for her in my iTunes account and synced her iPod to that.

Here's my question: is there an easy way to create a playlist based on the music in her library. I'd hate to have to create the playlist and go back and forth between accounts to see which songs to drag into the new playlist (she has about 3,000 songs).

Thanks very much, and please let me know if my request is unclear.

Matthew

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... I have a Mac Pro that contains my main administrator account (the one that gets used 99.9% of the time....

This is very bad. never do "normal" work in an account to as admin enabled. Make an unprivaleged acound for yourself and use the for all day to day work

Easier is to make another admin account and set your existing account to not-admin.

The simplest thing is for each of you to share you itunes libraries. then each account can see both libraries.

What you really want is one library that both of you ca use. iTunes is not very good at that. Apple just didn't design for this well. One option is a third "user" that has a librey with all the songs or you have to decide which of you has the libreary.

But first take care of that security problem and remove Admin from your account

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.