PDA

View Full Version : OS X fragmentation

TMJ1974
Sep 17, 2002, 11:24 AM
Hopefully someone will be able to give me the "real" answer.....

Many, many people (including tech support, etc at Apple) that hard drive fragmentation isn't an issue with OSX.......yet, later in the conversation, some of those same people mention defragmenting the hard drive after editing video ? ? ?

Is there truly a need to defrag an OS X HDD? Does it make any noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance for you insight

Tim

FattyMembrane
Sep 17, 2002, 11:33 AM
there have been lots of threads on this topic (do a search of the forums and you'll find about 3 or 4) and i dont do a lot of video editing, but from normal use, fragmentation is not a major issue (far less of an issue on the hfs+ filesystem than whatever the hell windows uses). i do a lot of downloading on my computer (single partition 20gig) and after a year of this, i erased and installed jaguar (the poor man's defragger) and did not notice any speed difference (even after all of the hooplah over how much faster jaguar was). you would have to use the disk very intensively with very little room left on it for a long time to have any serious fragmentation issues (my 6116 was used for about 6 years with only about 20megs of the 700 available at any given time and defragging it after all that time did yield a slight improvement in performance).

i actually have a question of my own. are there any benefits to using the UFS filesystem instead of the HFS+? i noticed that when i did the erase and install of jaguar, i could choose to format my drive as UFS. i no longer have os9 on my machine (which i know would not work on UFS) and was wondering if perhaps i should reformat the drive before i put too much new material on it.

edit: why is this thread in the games section?

job
Sep 17, 2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by FattyMembrane

edit: why is this thread in the games section?

This has happened before. :cool:

Some people have posted threads concerning Hardware/Software questions in here..

It's sort of bizzare when a forum regular does it, but in this case the guy's only got a couple of posts. :p

It's all good.

Nipsy
Sep 17, 2002, 06:30 PM
Ask yourself this:

Why are there a bunch of defragging utilities for Windows (least common denominator computing), and none for UNIX (top tier computing)?

If you are editing alot of video, you should use a scratch partition. Import your raw video to this partition, make your edits, record to DVD, erase partition.

You are more likely to break a working OS X installation than improve it using the immature utilities available today, and for God's sake DO NOT intsall Norton for OS X.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, start with fsck -y, then Disk Utility, then DiskWarrior from OS 9, then maybe, only as a last resort, Norton (from the CD ONLY), then re-installing.

FattyMembrane
Sep 17, 2002, 09:45 PM
i was one of the unlucky ones to try out the norton utilities beta on osx. dont ask, you dont even want to know... after a reformat my hard drive still fails to wake from sleep all the time (maybe a maxtor issue, but i like to bitch).

TMJ1974
Sep 17, 2002, 10:06 PM
I didn't realize I was in the "games" section, I though I posted in the "mac discussion" section.

Thanks for the feedback, I will definately do video editing on a scratch disk......what about MP3 files, keep them there too, or doesn't matter?

Tim

FattyMembrane
Sep 18, 2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TMJ1974
I didn't realize I was in the "games" section, I though I posted in the "mac discussion" section.

don't worry, i've done far worse :D

mp3s should not be a very big issue if you're downloading/ripping them and then just leaving them there. if you do a lot of downloading and end up with lots of incomplete files that you trash, or just cycle through them a lot, you may want to put them on a scratch disk, but if you have a cd-burner, mp3cds are the best way to go; it gets them off of your hard drive so that yo dont have to worry about which ones to bother keeping.