PDA

View Full Version : Smart Cover leaves marks on screen?

ethics101
Apr 20, 2011, 09:55 PM
Friend of mine was lucky enough to get an iPad near launch. Today I saw it again and there were marks from the cover folds on the screen. Is this normal? Fatal flaw for my uses.

Gix1k
Apr 20, 2011, 09:59 PM
Doesn't do that on my screen. They hardly touch the screen, honestly.

number84
Apr 20, 2011, 10:02 PM
Do u mean leaves vertical marks (3 of them). If yes this has been discussed quite a bit already.

Jazwire
Apr 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
Yup, I get the 3 vertical marks on mine

unkn0wnsoldier
Apr 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
The smart cover was a "smart" move from Apple. Ooooh! It cleans the screen and protects it! Yep, worst $40 I've spent in a while, unless you count beer, but I like beer.

ntrigue
Apr 20, 2011, 10:23 PM
It doesn't remotely 'clean' the screen. It leaves vertical lines.

ZBoater
Apr 20, 2011, 10:24 PM
The smart cover was a "smart" move from Apple. Ooooh! It cleans the screen and protects it! Yep, worst $40 I've spent in a while, unless you count beer, but I like beer.

I had the leather $70 one in my hand and couldn't pull the trigger. Its insane!

unkn0wnsoldier
Apr 20, 2011, 10:33 PM
I had the leather $70 one in my hand and couldn't pull the trigger. Its insane!

I'm glad you didn't. $70 is even MORE beer. This cover is just like the fist apple iPad case...garbage and gimmicky.

mcdj
Apr 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
It leaves 3 "lines" of oil. There are negative spaces on the folds, where the cover doesn't touch the screen, so the oil remains there. Hardly fatal, hardly a flaw. They wipe right off. ANY screen cover that has folds will leave similar marks.

unkn0wnsoldier
Apr 20, 2011, 10:55 PM
Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeD8WLtOIk

Meanee
Apr 20, 2011, 11:25 PM
I bought the 70 dollar one. Not regretting it a lot, but yes, I do have those lines. But, you can detach your smartcover and wipe the screen with fabric side. Works great.

jxr0124
Apr 20, 2011, 11:26 PM
Actually the smart cover does a pretty good job keeping the iPad screen free of dust and dirt. As far as the 3 lines go it is obvious that is where the folds are located on the cover and does not make contact with the screen to remove the oils left behind by your fingers. It is noticeable because the cover removes these oils where it makes contact with the screen. There is a real easy solution, just keep the cover on the screen and rub it back a forth a few times and when you open it the screen is clean.

Now I must say I was not satisfied with the smart cover because of the lack of protection to the backside of the iPad so I recently bought another cover that I really like but I can tell you the smart cover does help keep the screen clean. With my new cover I have to keep a microfiber cloth handy to clean the finger prints and remove the dust. I did not have to do that with the smart cover.

macingman
Apr 20, 2011, 11:26 PM
I have the marks too, I just use a lint free cloth to wipe them of.

unkn0wnsoldier
Apr 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
I see what you guys are saying but Jobs didn't say,"Oh, look at the Smart Cover. It keeps your screen clean except for three oily lines." or "turn it into a triangle and then wipe off the smudges".

You all have great solutions for using the smart cover or other means to ensure the cleanliness of your iPads, but that wasn't how it was presented. For $40, I expect more than what the final product offers.

As a matter of fact, I do use the "smart cover" to hold my iPad in landscape mode while on my desk, but this
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&biw=960&bih=884&q=plastic+business+card+stand&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2414344824479813216&sa=X&ei=8LyvTbz_I4zUtQPSnYmSAw&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAQ#

can do the same thing.

mcdj
Apr 21, 2011, 07:46 AM
I see what you guys are saying but Jobs didn't say,"Oh, look at the Smart Cover. It keeps your screen clean except for three oily lines."

Nor did he say "Oh, look at the iPad. It's a finger print magnet." This is not how it was presented, but you're not complaining, for $400+.

mikey4020
Apr 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'd be less bothered about the three vertical lines if they'd given us a cleaning cloth in the box!! My iMac came with one why not my iPad?? The cost of doing so would have been negligible I'd imagine!!

darngooddesign
Apr 21, 2011, 09:02 AM
I'd be less bothered about the three vertical lines if they'd given us a cleaning cloth in the box!! My iMac came with one why not my iPad?? The cost of doing so would have been negligible I'd imagine!!

The smart cover IS a cleaning cloth.

Joey47
Apr 21, 2011, 11:27 AM
Smart cover......not so smart....as are those who bought it lol......Jobs got you!!!

jdcell100
Apr 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'm I the only one that dose this with my smart cover I roll it back take it off the iPad. And clean my screen with it best screen cleaner there is it comes out perfect

gdeputy
Apr 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
Some of you really believed the smart cover would magically wipe your screen clean? how? It sits down on top of the screen, there is no rubbing motion there at all..

The cover does what it's supposed to, it protects the screen when not in use.

darngooddesign
Apr 21, 2011, 12:06 PM
Smart cover......not so smart....as are those who bought it lol......Jobs got you!!!
I consider it to be smart enough. As with anything, if it meets your needs then buy it. I did and I like it. It covers the screen, acts as a stand in both directions, acts as a screen wipe, makes it very easy to hold in portrait mode and reduces hand fatigue while doing so, and doesn't look like some janky folio case like the original one.

Some of you really believed the smart cover would magically wipe your screen clean? how? It sits down on top of the screen, there is no rubbing motion there at all..

The cover does what it's supposed to, it protects the screen when not in use.

I didn't believe it would magically do anything. It does exactly what I thought it would, including being a microfiber cloth I always have with me.

jdcell100
Apr 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
I take mine off and rub the screen with it when it's folded in the. Triangle I seen it on a podcast iPad today show works great

CobraPA
Apr 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
Now I must say I was not satisfied with the smart cover because of the lack of protection to the backside of the iPad so I recently bought another cover that I really like but I can tell you the smart cover does help keep the screen clean.

What did you get instead? I'm not a big fan of the smart cover for the same reason.

treyjustice
Apr 21, 2011, 02:04 PM
no not yet at least. I have a full body invisibleshield as well as a smart cover. It is alright I guess but should of bee 29 instaed of 39

L2gbrian
Apr 21, 2011, 04:43 PM
JUST PUT A SCREEN PROTECTOR ON IT, THATS WHAT I DO TO PREVENT THE LINES, DOESNT LEAVE ANY LINES DONT KNOW WHY BUT IT DOESNT. GET THE SCREEN PROTECTORS FROM WWW.HANDHELDITEMS.COM THEY'RE PRETTY CHEAP $5.99 USE THE COUPON CODE " ipad2clearscreenp " TAKES OFF $3.00 CANT GET BETTER THAN THAT AND THEY WORK GOOD REAL GOOD JUST GOTTA HAVE THE PATIENTS TO PUT THEM ON BUT WELL WORTH IT

mikey4020
Apr 21, 2011, 05:10 PM
The smart cover IS a cleaning cloth.

Yeah but smart cover certainly did not come in the box!! For a device you operate with your fingers, give us a cleaning cloth.

XXFirefighter
Apr 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
I just got my smart cover. I like that it's red on the inside as well...

xraytech
Apr 21, 2011, 05:35 PM
Friend of mine was lucky enough to get an iPad near launch. Today I saw it again and there were marks from the cover folds on the screen. Is this normal? Fatal flaw for my uses.

Hardly a flaw.

Just take a microfiber cloth to the screen the marks are gone.

Jeez people!!!

It's like, "Every time I tap the screen, it leaves a smudge. Is this a Flaw?"

xraytech
Apr 21, 2011, 05:43 PM
i take mine off and rub the screen with it when it's folded in the. Triangle i seen it on a podcast ipad today show works great

that is brilliant!!!

jxr0124
Apr 21, 2011, 07:03 PM
What did you get instead? I'm not a big fan of the smart cover for the same reason.

I bought the STM Skinny for the iPad 2 and I am very satisfied with my purchase.

chrono1081
Apr 21, 2011, 07:16 PM
It leaves 3 "lines" of oil. There are negative spaces on the folds, where the cover doesn't touch the screen, so the oil remains there. Hardly fatal, hardly a flaw. They wipe right off. ANY screen cover that has folds will leave similar marks.

+1 but sadly people on this forum just love to cry like a bunch of babies over nothing. If you don't like it, don't buy it. SIMPLE!

CobraPA
Apr 22, 2011, 07:28 AM
I bought the STM Skinny for the iPad 2 and I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

ethics101
Apr 24, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hardly a flaw.

Just take a microfiber cloth to the screen the marks are gone.

Jeez people!!!

It's like, "Every time I tap the screen, it leaves a smudge. Is this a Flaw?"

Its a case that's making an iPad dirtier. Yes, I believe that is a flaw.

donnaw
Apr 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
Uh, it's not making the iPad dirtier - it's just not cleaning the entire screen. If you don't use it your entire screen would be that 'dirty'.

xraytech
Apr 24, 2011, 05:08 PM
Its a case that's making an iPad dirtier. Yes, I believe that is a flaw.

In that case your fingers are flawed cuz you are making your iPad dirtier every time you use them.

Thanks jdcell100 for the tip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2zlE_xCtc

ethics101
Apr 24, 2011, 06:06 PM
In that case your fingers are flawed cuz you are making your iPad dirtier every time you use them.

Thanks jdcell100 for the tip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2zlE_xCtc

:rolleyes: Glad you're trying to compare apples and oranges. My definition of a case: To keep my iPad clean and free from scratches.

What exactly is the smart cover doing? Some scratch protection, but its making my iPad dirty. Are your fingers made to keep your iPad clean? Do you see how ridiculous and dense you are sounding now?

xraytech
Apr 24, 2011, 06:21 PM
:rolleyes: Glad you're trying to compare apples and oranges. My definition of a case: To keep my iPad clean and free from scratches.

What exactly is the smart cover doing? Some scratch protection, but its making my iPad dirty. Are your fingers made to keep your iPad clean? Do you see how ridiculous and dense you are sounding now?

I'm just saying it's not a big deal. Just wipe it off.

Stop making a case for Smart Cover-gate