Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Im kinda of sick of all this extra stuff i usually buy and am thinking of going without these things i usually buy. Anyone do this? I figure ill just get a carrying case or something if i wanna move it around.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Completely naked here. If you plan to take it out the house, then a case or cover would be fine. I wouldn't use an iPad with a case at all. I hate putting cases on any apple products.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Got a case but no screen cover. Don't know exactly how (got 2 kids so its not hard to guess) but there's four or five scratches on the screen that produce a REALLY annoying rainbow effect. Get a case. Get a screen cover.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
i mean, i thought it was a PITA to get the screen protectors to fit on the iphone, but on the ipad 1 it was an even bigger PITA because its like 5 times the screen size lol (also each protector is even more $$). And i also like the way the product looks and feels, and cases totally take that away.

On the iphone however i must say my case has saved my ass completely.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I don't use any covers or screen protectors on my iPad or iPhone. They are quite durable as they are. Plus, if I lose say $50 off the resale value for having (on the off chance) a nick or two, well guess what, that's what most reputable protectors and cases cost too (so I break even). Except, I get to use my device as intended.

Last edited:

rockinmorockin

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
same here...i absolutely hate screen protectors and cases are ehhhh

i am considering getting the smart cover...yes or no?

rockinmorockin

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
thanks for telling me that. yeah i'm thinking of getting a case for when i'm not using it, but i do like that stand on the smart cover.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Depends on how you use the thing; I didn't get either for mine and after a few months of heavy use (I'm a college student so it gets throw into my bag and taken everywhere) I had a few slight scratches on the screen (not noticeable when on) and a few dings and scratches on the back and sides.

If you're planning on keeping it nice, a screen protector wouldn't hurt although I don't think it's needed; a case should be bought though. When I ended up getting one I got a Griffin one that just covered the back and edges.

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I have a smart cover, zagg screen protector and a TPU case that is designed to work with the smart cover for mine. If I am going someplace where I need better protection I have an Oberon leather case. However it stays at home mostly so I just use the screen protector and leave it on the wedgepad.

Personally if nothing else, the screen protector is the first thing that goes on my "toys".

Spooky73

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Just returned my case and am going naked when in use. What I did buy is a 'sleeve' holder for transporting/storage when it's not in use. I like to be able to throw it in my work bag and not worry. I MAY get a thin shield or cover of some sort for the back but no screen protector for me.

harpy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Naked for a year now with no issues.

When I travel with it I put it into a netbook case I already had laying around, works fine.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
My iPad is usually naked around the house.

I will never use a screen protector, Why cover hardened glass with easily scratchable plastic? Never quite got that one.
As for a case. That adds to the weight so it defeats the purpose of having a light device.
Just when i put it in my bacpack i chuck the ipad in a cheap neoprene sleeve. As soon as i use it again it goes naked again.

Always remember: It is a tool and not a jewel!

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Screen protectors

I've been using pda, phones, slates for over a decade. Some with screen protectors, some without. No matter what some say, the screens can be scratched. While a few scrapes and dings on the body really causes no real harm having scratches on the screen can and will take away from your enjoyment of the device.

I have grandkids who will be using it. But I bought it because it's slim and light. So I went with a Power Support Anti-glare screen protector and am getting an iCarbon skin for the back. Will use a sleeve when I travel.

I have to say the Power Support anti-glare is great. I usually go with a crystal screen protector but this one does prevent fingerprints and I actually like the way it feels when touching it. And as far as I can tell it does not detract from the beautiful screen. Very happy with it.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I prefer to use it nekid to take the fullest advantage of its thinness. Obviously if I drop it I will regret it, but such is life.

I use a thick leather envelop to stuff it in and carry it in my laptop bag or briefcase. I had the $70 smart cover in my hands last night and I just couldn't bring myself to pull that trigger. I don't mind blowing money on stuff, but geez that cover was just over the top! :rolleyes:

Smoothness

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Nj
I keep it all the time in a portfolio case. Does add weight to it and take away i guess from it's lightness, but whatever, its still lighter than my macbook pro.

no screen protector. thinking about it now after reading these posts.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I use inexpensive TPU back covers/cases on my iPad and now iPad 2. Available at hdaccessory or handhelditems for ~$7 and now some on clearance for the original iPad for $1. They offer a bit of drop-page protection and I like the grippy feeling when holding it.

The screens are naked. Never had any scratches. I don't really get screen protectors, to me they usually look worse then if you had scratches anyway!

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
unless you're letting your kids or dog play with it, you're fine without one. I have a small bag I carry it in and when I'm not using it I slip it inside that. No need for screen or back protectors as it's either in my hands, on a clean table or counter, or in it's carrying bag.

Ryanctf

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
on mine i use the incase book jacket for ipad 2 and the power support crystal film on the front.

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I have a smart cover and I just got the incase travel kit plus, which is a sleeve. It has a section for the iPad (fits iPad 2 with smart cover), for accessories, and for a keyboard. Before I had this, I dropped they keyboard and a key broke.

I would definitely recommend this product

P.S. This s my 100th post!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
my iPad was like 800$ all said and done, you better believe I have a ghost armor and smart cover on it!

If I had the 499 version I would probably be less weary but I paid near the price of a base macbook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.