PDA

View Full Version : I party to hard?

TheShinyMac
Apr 21, 2011, 12:09 PM
Had a few friends over last night, played some music on my 5.1 set up and this morning I turn it all on to play some tunes and one of my inwall speakers is buzzing and "hissing" horribly. I was thinking of taking a video but what do you guys think? Can i fix this by myself? Is it ruined for good? If I have to replace how can I be sure the new speaker won't be louder than the others? I'm pretty sure the speaker is out of warranty by JBL.

wywern209
Apr 21, 2011, 05:51 PM
sounds like problems with being overdriven. by the looks of it, ur gonna have to replace it, somehow. scour ebay and craigslist.

ender land
Apr 21, 2011, 06:53 PM
You might be able to identify which component is shot and replace it individually by buying it specifically.

I would check a forum such as avsforum.com/avs-vb/ as those people are a lot more knowledgeable on that matter most likely than those of us here.

senseless
Apr 21, 2011, 09:34 PM
Busted woofer surrounds sound like cracking and flapping on loud bass. Blown tweeters just don't work and make the speaker sound muddy. I'm not sure what hissing is. Could be an amp issue. Try switching speakers to see if the problem moves with the suspected bad one.

wywern209
Apr 21, 2011, 09:39 PM
Busted woofer surrounds sound like cracking and flapping on loud bass. Blown tweeters just don't work and make the speaker sound muddy. I'm not sure what hissing is. Could be an amp issue. Try switching speakers to see if the problem moves with the suspected bad one.

THIS. cross check to isolate the issue to the spaker or amp. it could be that u badly damaged the amp section for that particular speaker out on your receiver. This is rather unusual because most modern receivers have a protection mode that limits wattage in order stop overdriving. but such safeguards can only do so much; if it was being driven for hours, it could have easily been damaged.

TheShinyMac
Apr 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
THIS. cross check to isolate the issue to the spaker or amp. it could be that u badly damaged the amp section for that particular speaker out on your receiver. This is rather unusual because most modern receivers have a protection mode that limits wattage in order stop overdriving. but such safeguards can only do so much; if it was being driven for hours, it could have easily been damaged.

The bass part of the speaker works fine, but the little box above it is "broken". I have unscrewed it and it looks like I can take it out and replace it, I will post a picture later today.