PDA

View Full Version : Apple's hardware installed base greater than any other individual hardware vendor!

gopher
Sep 17, 2002, 12:43 PM
http://www.spymac.com/more.php?id=215_0_5_0_M

11.6% of the computers in the world currently in use are Macs.

Dells only account for 9.8% of the hardware market.

So despite the fact Apple's the underdog when compared to all PC clones put together, no indivdual vendor has as many current users.

Very interesting. And while this comes from spymac where most of the rumors are just a joke, the statistic itself is quite interesting.

arn
Sep 17, 2002, 12:49 PM
while it brings up an interesting thought... I always have to brush off these statistics... because it always depends on who you ask... so there is a ton of conflicting data out there.

arn

Mr. Anderson
Sep 17, 2002, 12:56 PM
isn't this data based on what computers are connected to the internet? So it really is only accurate to a certain degree.

But its still nice to see Apple's doing that well anyway.

D

drastik
Sep 17, 2002, 01:17 PM
Well, 11% sounds about right if I do my own littel survey usng the traffic I get on my site. Its not a lot, around ten thousand a month really, but 10 to 15% Mac on any given month. This is not a mac centric site, but it is music centric, which may account for increaced mac use. Alos, I get a fair amount of traffic from my sig on this site. (keep it up guys!) If y'all will just visit ten times a day and then find me some advertisers, I'll buy you a macrumours mug!

sparkleytone
Sep 17, 2002, 01:28 PM
93.27% of all statistics are fabricated.

oldMac
Sep 17, 2002, 02:52 PM
I particularly find this number doubtful if someone suggests that it's based on Internet traffic.

Weblog after weblog that I review, for many different sites, always show Mac traffic at around 3-5%.

TheCounter.com surveys the traffic of many sites. It logged 2 billion visitors last month, of which 2% were Macintoshes.

Rower_CPU
Sep 17, 2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
93.27% of all statistics are fabricated.

Not to mention the 56.7983% that are just plain wrong...:D

King Cobra
Sep 17, 2002, 03:39 PM
Some of these statistics are based around people, who use around 1.47893659087346439587% of their brains anyways. :rolleyes:

peter2002
Sep 17, 2002, 03:58 PM
I don't know where you are getting your numbers but you are way off. Dell sells more computers in 1 day than Apple sells in 6 months.

According to IDC, Dell is #1, Apple is #9 (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/03.marketshare.php).

As far as market share, those numbers are grim too. Macs used to be over 50% of the market in the 1980's. Now their market share varies around 2.4-3.5%. Jobs himself said their base is 25 million. There are over 500,000,000 active computer users in the world.

Do the math.

Peter.

Don't make your Apple a pagan God.

Vector
Sep 17, 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by peter2002
I don't know where you are getting your numbers but you are way off. Dell sells more computers in 1 day than Apple sells in 6 months.

According to IDC, Dell is #1, Apple is #9 (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/03.marketshare.php).

As far as market share, those numbers are grim too. Macs used to be over 50% of the market in the 1980's. Now their market share varies around 2.4-3.5%. Jobs himself said their base is 25 million. There are over 500,000,000 active computer users in the world.

Do the math.

Peter.

Don't make you Apple a pagan God.

Alright i will do the math:

(25 million divided by 500 million) x100 = 5%

the number is closer to 4-5% not 2.4-3.5%

Besides this thread isnt talking about the fact that dell makes many more computers than apple, it is talking about the total amount of macs around the amount of macs in the world. dells go to the dump after a few years but people keep their macs alot longer than their pcs. i have 8 macs and i use 5 of them often (an 8500, 8600, 9600, wallstreet, and 933 g4).

also i bet that those idc figures do not take into account the entire installed base, does anyone know how idc comes by their statistics. these type of statistics are often based upon taking a relatively small amount of computers and applying the percentage of those to a larger number, because it would not be possible or economical to find the percentages of all of the worlds computers.

P-Worm
Sep 17, 2002, 04:31 PM
This is based on how many macs are out there compared to how many PC's are out there right? Well what about when other companies started making Mac's? I know I have a Power Computing Mac around here somewhere.

Not that those sold incredibly well, but that does skew the data because those were not made by Apple.

just a thought....

P-Worm

BongHits
Sep 17, 2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by gopher
http://www.spymac.com/more.php?id=215_0_5_0_M

11.6% of the computers in the world currently in use are Macs.

Dells only account for 9.8% of the hardware market.

So despite the fact Apple's the underdog when compared to all PC clones put together, no indivdual vendor has as many current users.

Very interesting. And while this comes from spymac where most of the rumors are just a joke, the statistic itself is quite interesting.
i live n chicago, take the el train to school, and everday there is always someone (aside from myself) with an ipod, and that's on the same car as me. Just today on my way to school i saw a new ibook and tibook! maybe chicago's the big apple after all hah

peter2002
Sep 17, 2002, 06:56 PM
Bud, why are you linking to this article. It doesn't not make Apple look good. Jack Campbell must be deluted. His own statistics that he pulled out of his rectum don't make any sense and are out right lies.

1. Apple is #1 retailer of PC at 11.6%. This claim couldn't be more false. Dell is number #1. HP/Compaq are #2. Nobody else is even close. Jack states he got this info from 20 different sources, but he doesn't mention 1. An AP reporter just got fired today for the same kind of journalistic shanigans. I hope the bosses at Spymac don't read Jack's lies. If you are going to make outrageous claims, and call yourself a journalist, you better have some credible sources. Not just a love obsession with a stupid computer.

2. Jack goes off on a tangent to hype Mac OS X. He states 10% of Apple users have bought OS X. But OS X requires software upgrades, XP does not. Most older software will run with XP's compatiblity mode. Adoption rates for XP is 20%, OS X is 10%. Keep in mind XP came out in October of 2001. Mac OS came out in March 2001. XP has sold 46 million copies, Mac OS X has sold 3 million. No mention of how many have downloaded for free from KaZaA.

4. Also, keep in mind Mac OS X won't run on older G3 or less PowerMacs. This part of Apple's strategy to get you to pay for another overpriced computer and then pay $100 for an OS upgrade 6 months afterwards. Win XP will run on Pentium II 300MHZ with 64 megs. Mac OS X requires a new G3 or G4 with at least 128 megs of RAM. Most software has not been converted to run on Mac OS X.

4. Jack goes off on another tangent stating Apple is the #1 computer company by brand delivered since personal computers were invented. I don't where or how he pulled these stats out of his lower oriphous. There is no way to verify this stat so it is mute.

Apple is good, but not great, and Jobs should start looking for a new job and sweater.

Peter

Rower_CPU
Sep 17, 2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by peter2002
Bud, why are you linking to this article. It doesn't not make Apple look good. Jack Campbell must be deluted. His own statistics that he pulled out of his rectum don't make any sense and are out right lies.

1. Apple is #1 retailer of PC at 11.6%. This claim couldn't be more false. Dell is number #1. HP/Compaq are #2. Nobody else is even close. Jack states he got this info from 20 different sources, but he doesn't mention 1. An AP reporter just got fired today for the same kind of journalistic shanigans. I hope the bosses at Spymac don't read Jack's lies. If you are going to make outrageous claims, and call yourself a journalist, you better have some credible sources. Not just a love obsession with a stupid computer.

2. Jack goes off on a tangent to hype Mac OS X. He states 10% of Apple users have bought OS X. But OS X requires software upgrades, XP does not. Most older software will run with XP's compatiblity mode. Adoption rates for XP is 20%, OS X is 10%. Keep in mind XP came out in October of 2001. Mac OS came out in March 2001. XP has sold 46 million copies, Mac OS X has sold 3 million. No mention of how many have downloaded for free from KaZaA.

4. Also, keep in mind Mac OS X won't run on older G3 or less PowerMacs. This part of Apple's strategy to get you to pay for another overpriced computer and then pay $100 for an OS upgrade 6 months afterwards. Win XP will run on Pentium II 300MHZ with 64 megs. Mac OS X requires a new G3 or G4 with at least 128 megs of RAM. Most software has not been converted to run on Mac OS X.

4. Jack goes off on another tangent stating Apple is the #1 computer company by brand delivered since personal computers were invented. I don't where or how he pulled these stats out of his lower oriphous. There is no way to verify this stat so it is mute.

Apple is good, but not great, and Jobs should start looking for a new job and sweater.

Peter

Wow...are you an actual mac user, or do you just play one on TV?

Ever hear of a little thing called Classic? Surprise, surprise...you can run OS 9 apps on OS X. Shocking, isn't it?

XP requires software updates for certain programs. Roxio Easy CD Creator for one.

Where do you get your facts, since you seem to be such a stickler for citing sources?

46 million copies of XP versus 3 million copies of OS X...well, duh...there are roughly 10-20 more computers running Windows than Mac OS. :rolleyes:

Before you pull the big words out, you might want to make sure you know how to spell them:
"shanigans" -> shenanigans
"oriphous" -> orefice
"mute" -> in this context, moot

If you want to run with the big boys, do your homework.

cryhavoc2112
Jun 4, 2004, 11:54 AM
Ever hear of a little thing called Classic? Surprise, surprise...you can run OS 9 apps on OS X. Shocking, isn't it?

:cool: Ummm, running an OS9 app on OSX means you have to utilize the OS9 virtual machine. No thanks. If it's not native, it does not run on my Mac. Ever. :cool:

Abstract
Jun 4, 2004, 12:07 PM
Why do people revive threads from 2002 and post a comment, when the entire conversation has long been forgotten by all the people who posted in that thread?

Peyote
Jun 4, 2004, 01:16 PM
Why do people revive threads from 2002 and post a comment, when the entire conversation has long been forgotten by all the people who posted in that thread?

I'll find out and post my findings here in two years. :D

Earendil
Jun 4, 2004, 05:31 PM

Rower nailed everything but this one. My siblings run Panther on a bondi iMac running at 233mhz. Sure the 2mb vid card doesn't run Expose very well, but it runs well enough!
And before you say that you want it to run well, and a 233mhz iMac won't, I'll restate the "well enough" and say it runs Panther VERY well for a six year old machine.

And what do you mean comparing the Pnetium II 300mhz to the G3? The G3 has been around longer than an manufactured PentiumII running at 300mhz. The G3 (our iMac is a 233mhz G3) ran at a slower clock speed, and besides that clock for clock the G3 was faster than a P2.

wow, XP ONLY needs a PentiumII 300mhz, and Panther needs a WOPPING G3... Yikes man, you can't have been with Apple for very long...

Tyler
Earendil

primalman
Jun 4, 2004, 05:51 PM
It has been established in various threads in various forums that Jack Campbell has no clue. Search it out.

Let's move on.

Sun Baked
Jun 4, 2004, 06:31 PM
93.27% of all statistics are fabricated.I thought that was statisticians... especially if their first name is Jack.

legion
Jun 4, 2004, 10:11 PM
It has been established in various threads in various forums that Jack Campbell has no clue. Search it out.

Let's move on.

Here Here!