PDA

View Full Version : New Incipio Smart Feather - not so smart?

theautopilot
Apr 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
I have been holding out for the new Smart Cover compatible Feather case for some time. But take a look at the photos on this page... http://www.myincipio.com/iPad-2-Smart-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case/

Is it just me, but does it cover the hinges of the Smart Cover? And if it does, will that mean that the Smart Cover can't be removed without removing the Feather case first?

I know it too early to tell, but if that's the case then the new Feather will seriously fail. One of the things people like about Smart Cover is the ability to remove it with ease. And if you do remove the Smart Cover, will it have an annoying sticking out flappy/flexible bit?

I hope I'm wrong.

GoCubsGo
Apr 21, 2011, 03:47 PM
I doubt a company like Incipio would make such a huge error.

prisoner6
Apr 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
Certainly looks like it snaps on over the center magnet on the hinges at the very least.

It looks like this is how they are getting around leaving a large uncovered area.

theautopilot
Apr 21, 2011, 05:03 PM
Looking at the pics it's hard to come to any other conclusion. Guess I will have to wait for first reviews, but I don't see the problem with leaving a gap as the sc is on most of the time. At this rate I think I will just go for a bodyguardz or similar.

kenlounge
Apr 21, 2011, 10:06 PM
According to their customer service rep...

"The Smart Cover will be able to be removed without having the feather removed."

Ferris23
Apr 22, 2011, 06:38 AM
It looks like it just covers the smart cover hinge, doesn't mean it locks it in. Probably just hovers a bit over top to keep the iPad protected but not lock down the smart cover, just arc over it.

prisoner6
Apr 22, 2011, 07:25 AM
It's good to know the Smart Cover can be removed without removing the case, but would it not then leave a piece of the case sticking out on that side?

Not a huge deal to me, but might be to some.

Personally, I actually like the design, just wish there was a clear option.

xraytech
Apr 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
I have been holding out for the new Smart Cover compatible Feather case for some time. But take a look at the photos on this page... http://www.myincipio.com/iPad-2-Smart-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case/

Is it just me, but does it cover the hinges of the Smart Cover? And if it does, will that mean that the Smart Cover can't be removed without removing the Feather case first?

I know it too early to tell, but if that's the case then the new Feather will seriously fail. One of the things people like about Smart Cover is the ability to remove it with ease. And if you do remove the Smart Cover, will it have an annoying sticking out flappy/flexible bit?

I hope I'm wrong.

That's exactly how it works. Doesn't mean it's a complete fail. If you like having the Smart Cover on ALL THE TIME, then it's perfect.

theautopilot
Apr 22, 2011, 11:11 AM
That's exactly how it works. Doesn't mean it's a complete fail. If you like having the Smart Cover on ALL THE TIME, then it's perfect.

So you are saying you know for certain that it does have to stay on? How do you know?

If your right then I have to disagree that it's not fail. The whole point of the smart cover is that it is easy to remove. I have never heard of anyone that does not take it off at least occasionally for a bit of gaming when you don't want tue extra weight and flapping of the sc.

And why would the hinges need covering anyway? I have read every thread going and never seen one request for sc hinge protection.

3goldens
Apr 22, 2011, 12:10 PM
idiotic thread, speculative nonsense!

theautopilot
Apr 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
idiotic thread, speculative nonsense!

You're the idiot. Everything is speculative if you don't own one - are we not allowed to talk about stuff we don't have? Do you even know what a discussion forum is for, you tool.

If no one could speculate, this would be a very quiet forum. Are the site owners idiotic too? (hint; it's called 'Mac Rumors').

kvizzel
Apr 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
the part covering the smart cover magnet looks like its a flap that will move. look at the crease.

prisoner6
Apr 22, 2011, 01:03 PM
Looks like they've added more color options as well.

xraytech
Apr 22, 2011, 01:29 PM
So you are saying you know for certain that it does have to stay on? How do you know?

If your right then I have to disagree that it's not fail. The whole point of the smart cover is that it is easy to remove. I have never heard of anyone that does not take it off at least occasionally for a bit of gaming when you don't want tue extra weight and flapping of the sc.

And why would the hinges need covering anyway? I have read every thread going and never seen one request for sc hinge protection.

Chill dude!!!

Just speculation, but I'm 99.99% sure of it. But it's not a complete failure. I'm just saying that there are some users out there that would like the security of knowing that their precious iPad 2 will not fall to the ground if they grab it by the Smart Cover. This design does that.

Relax man, it's not the end of the world.

And if I'm wrong, now skin off my nose. I'll go on living. :)

Roofy.
Apr 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
it looks like you have to put the smart cover on first, then the case. the case looks like it goes over the "stick" in between the hinges. I guess that way the smart cover cant come off easy. Sounds a bit backwards to me though.

theautopilot
Apr 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
So it seems i was right; the smart cover can't be removed with the Smart Feather on :eek:

This is, IMO, massive fail Incipio. Of your reading - why why why did you make this crazy decision?

I cant see many Smart Cover owners wanting one now, i certainly don't as i love to take off the Smart Cover for gaming sessions. Looks like the Belkin Snap Shield is the best option for now.

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 04:21 PM
Kind of depends on how easy the feather is to take on and off. I like my smart cover, and would rather hold it in place....assuming I could take the feather off easily.

OTOH, if it's difficult to take the feather (and thus the smart cover) off, then I'd agree with you about it being a bag o' fail.

kalex
Apr 29, 2011, 04:50 PM
i think its just molded to the shape of smart cover attachment and doesn't hold it in place so you should be able to easily remove the cover

theautopilot
Apr 29, 2011, 05:15 PM
i think its just molded to the shape of smart cover attachment and doesn't hold it in place so you should be able to easily remove the cover

Incipio have said it does need to be removed first.

theautopilot
Apr 29, 2011, 05:17 PM
Kind of depends on how easy the feather is to take on and off. I like my smart cover, and would rather hold it in place....assuming I could take the feather off easily.

OTOH, if it's difficult to take the feather (and thus the smart cover) off, then I'd agree with you about it being a bag o' fail.

Even if it was easy it would still be a real pain IMO. And whenever I remove a case from iPad or iPhone it still to be cleaned and a small piece of grit/dirt can cause more scratches than if you had nothing on at all.

Aqua Bliss
May 5, 2011, 03:35 AM
I actually like this idea. How often do you guys remove your smart cover?

Intentionally (besides to put on front and back skins), I think I've done it maybe once or twice in a month and a half. It's fallen off on it's own more often than that.

This case will probably ensure the smart cover stays in place and it won't be easy for it to fall off with the case on. I don't think it will be hard to remove the case. Incipio makes great feather cases that go on/off easy when you want them to, and not when you don't. I've been using one on my iPod Touch 4g and it has a perfect mold.

Sign me up for a frost version of the smart feather, can't wait.

jedolley
May 5, 2011, 08:11 AM

Intentionally (besides to put on front and back skins), I think I've done it maybe once or twice in a month and a half. It's fallen off on it's own more often than that.

This case will probably ensure the smart cover stays in place and it won't be easy for it to fall off with the case on. I don't think it will be hard to remove the case. Incipio makes great feather cases that go on/off easy when you want them to, and not when you don't. I've been using one on my iPod Touch 4g and it has a perfect mold.

Actually my Smart Cover is off more than it is on. My smart cover is only on when I'm using one of the stand positions, or if my iPad is not in use/in transport. If you wanted your smart cover to stay on permanently, why not get some sort of folio case?

theautopilot
May 5, 2011, 04:24 PM

I have it on most of the time, but take it off a couple of times per day for some games. Apple intended this kind off usage, that's why they used magnets. If I wanted something on all the time I would not have got a smart cover, I would have got a full case.

It makes no sense.

theautopilot
May 8, 2011, 02:50 AM
Another reason to take off the Smart Cover - using the back camera.

3goldens
May 8, 2011, 11:04 AM
Smart Feather is the dumbest design idea I have ever encountered.

The smart cover in the first place was designed to be easily removed to show off the iPad. That was the entire point and incipio tosses this out the window by demanding one remove the entire case in order to do this.

I would be venture to say that the majority of iPad users have more than one case and like to switch things around a little. It's like wearing the same pair of pants every day, who wants to do that? A little variety keeps things interesting I've always been told.

I like to change my case to something more durable if I'm going to the gym and have something lighter at home, but what I do not want is a struggle like with the Marware micro shell, OMG what a piece of crap. A great idea gone way bad.

I want to easily be able to slip my iPad into one case or another in no more than 20 seconds. That should not be hard for a manufacturer to accomplish!

So for all you going after the Incipio smart feather do report back on how your enjoying this idiotic design!

kvizzel
May 8, 2011, 03:11 PM
Why are all you guys complaining? There are plenty other smart cover compatible cases...

I for one like the idea.

iMule
May 8, 2011, 05:06 PM
Have y'all not checked the website? You don't have to remove the smart feather to take off the smart cover. Look at the images.

jedolley
May 8, 2011, 05:55 PM
Have y'all not checked the website? You don't have to remove the smart feather to take off the smart cover. Look at the images.

You may want to take a look again... There is a part of the Smart Feather that covers the hinge of Apple's Smart Cover. Incipio even responded to another forum members inquiry and confirmed that their case would have to be removed before you could remove the Smart Cover.

kenlounge
May 8, 2011, 07:17 PM
Incipio told me the opposite. Smart cover could be removed without taking the case off.

oghowie
May 9, 2011, 04:47 PM
I would actually prefer something that held the smart cover on. One of the reasons I returned it was that it came off too easily, especially with kids around the house.

theautopilot
May 10, 2011, 01:40 AM
I would actually prefer something that held the smart cover on. One of the reasons I returned it was that it came off too easily, especially with kids around the house.

I think you are in the minority. And if this was a requirement, why is this better than buying a full cover case with back and front attached. Lots already exist.

It meant to be easy to remove, thats a feature. Not a feature everyone wants, but then the SC is not for them.

I have to agree with 3goldens. For 99% of people its idiotic.

oghowie
May 10, 2011, 06:00 PM
I think you are in the minority. And if this was a requirement, why is this better than buying a full cover case with back and front attached. Lots already exist.

It meant to be easy to remove, thats a feature. Not a feature everyone wants, but then the SC is not for them.

I have to agree with 3goldens. For 99% of people its idiotic.

3 or 4 people on this thread have already said this is an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure that's more than 1%...

My favorite case right now is the Incase Magazine Jacket. Lightweight protection with a built in stand that Apple copied, but made better. The main cons about it are that it doesn't have a magnet, so it has to use a strap to keep the cover closed and those notches on the back of the case to keep it stable. This Smart Feather + Smart Cover might be the perfect solution, even though it could get pricey.

Also, you can already go on eBay and find a bunch of smart cover compatible cases for $10. At least Incipio is trying something different. Whether it actually works or not remains to be seen.

sap12690
May 13, 2011, 08:55 PM
myincipio.com has new pics of the case... should be on sale soon

OverSpun
May 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm missing why they decided to expose a large amount of the bottom side to cover avoiding dents/scratches? Maybe the pictures aren't good enough to tell if I'm wrong. Of course, someones review will help this.

sap12690
May 13, 2011, 11:21 PM
ordering for Black and Grey is up!!!

OverSpun
May 14, 2011, 12:24 AM
ordering for Black and Grey is up!!!

I vote for you reviewing. :D:)

Mr.C
May 14, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have the original Incipio Feather and got it not realising it doesn't work well with the Smart Cover. This new one looks like a much better design and I did think of getting it but after seeing the Speck Smart Shell case with the ability to attach the Smart Cover on the back with a magnate I more inclined to go with that. It seems to have got pretty good reviews both here and else where.

3goldens
May 14, 2011, 11:05 AM
got an email from them:

http://ncpo.cc/ba1

And it is definitely attached securely to the shell.
Takes away one of the great features of the Smart cover, the ability to whip it off! dumb dumb dumb

From the site:
With the custom molded feather securing the magnetic metal anchor to the iPad 2, the Smart featherŪ reinforces the connection, providing a virtually unbreakable connection.

theautopilot
May 14, 2011, 11:30 AM
With the custom molded feather securing the magnetic metal anchor to the iPad 2, the Smart featherŪ reinforces the connection, providing a virtually unbreakable connection.

:mad: idiots.

oghowie
May 14, 2011, 03:06 PM
Just got a gray poly smart cover brand new for $25 shipped, but I'm going to wait for a review before buying this.

BlindMellon
May 14, 2011, 03:56 PM
the part covering the smart cover magnet looks like its a flap that will move. look at the crease.

This is exactly the case.

OverSpun
May 15, 2011, 12:14 AM
Is anyone a bit worried how Incipio left the whole bottom side of the iPad exposed to get scuffed up or even dented?

If I can remember correctly that Belkin just had a couple cutouts around the plug and the speaker?

I hope that picture is just a photoshop beta that'll be a bit more safe.

mac-spy
May 15, 2011, 12:43 AM
Just got a gray poly smart cover brand new for $25 shipped, but I'm going to wait for a review before buying this.

Where did you get it for $25?

oghowie
May 15, 2011, 01:07 AM
Where did you get it for $25?

Some guy off Amazon. I think he only had one though because it was no longer listed after I bought it?

Sowelu
May 15, 2011, 06:15 PM
I for one welcome this feature. Once my SmartCover is on, I want it to stay on securely. In some positions the magnets disengage and it's maddening. When I switch off to the leather portfolio case (depending on where I am using my iPad), both pieces will have to come off anyway.

xStatiCa
May 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
Smart Feather is the dumbest design idea I have ever encountered.

The smart cover in the first place was designed to be easily removed to show off the iPad. That was the entire point and incipio tosses this out the window by demanding one remove the entire case in order to do this.
I would have agreed with you until one of the several people at work with an iPad likes the smart cover except for the fact that it comes off when he is messing with it in his lap. He insists that he wants the smart cover to always stay on and the iPad and then the smart cover combo would be perfect. He has even *thought* about gluing the thing on permanently (I am sure he wouldn't though). Everyone at work is in love with the Belkin snap shield with the back magnet mod using EMI Absorber material except him because it doesn't solve the smart cover coming off. When I tell him about this case he is going to be one very happy fellow.

Me personally I want to remove it easily when I feel like it so the Belkin snap shield is perfect for me (with the mod).

UPDATE: Lol... I was right. He just ordered the black one. Thanks to all for this thread.

3goldens
May 20, 2011, 05:55 PM
Its on sale now at their web site!
Not that I'm going there mind you!

oghowie
May 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
It's either this or the Cover Buddy for me, but I'll probably get this once it hits Amazon for $25 shipped. I don't think any of these smart cover compatible cases should cost more than $25.

Night Spring
May 21, 2011, 05:35 AM
He has even *thought* about gluing the thing on permanently (I am sure he wouldn't though).

If he's so sure he never wants to take the cover off, wouldn't he be better off with one of the one-piece cases that covers both the front and back with Smart Cover functionality?

xStatiCa
May 21, 2011, 07:24 AM
If he's so sure he never wants to take the cover off, wouldn't he be better off with one of the one-piece cases that covers both the front and back with Smart Cover functionality?

Because none of them are as good as the smart cover as far as the front part. Most don't magnetically attach to the front. They only trigger the sleep wake function which leads to the front flapping or moving when carrying or handling them. Others that are clise are too bulky or not right in other ways.

mrgossett
May 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
I just received the Smart Feather cover on Friday, and am using it with the Apple Smart Cover. I've had the STM Skinny case, which I like, but I was just curious how this combo would work. The Smart Feather case looks very nice in black, fits perfectly, easy to put on/take off, and works perfectly with the Smart Cover. It has a very nice silky feel to it, but does provide extra grip. It does keep the Smart Cover attached, which is what I want after it came loose and made me drop the iPad (luckily in a soft chair, so no damage). I'll post some pics later today.

oghowie
May 23, 2011, 04:58 PM
I just received the Smart Feather cover on Friday, and am using it with the Apple Smart Cover. I've had the STM Skinny case, which I like, but I was just curious how this combo would work. The Smart Feather case looks very nice in black, fits perfectly, easy to put on/take off, and works perfectly with the Smart Cover. It has a very nice silky feel to it, but does provide extra grip. It does keep the Smart Cover attached, which is what I want after it came loose and made me drop the iPad (luckily in a soft chair, so no damage). I'll post some pics later today.

Can't wait to see the pics. Thanks!

sap12690
May 23, 2011, 09:57 PM

Can't wait for pics!!!! Please :)

mrgossett
May 23, 2011, 10:48 PM
Sorry about the delay in the pics, but here they are. As I already said, the black Smart Feather fits perfectly, is easy to put on and take off, and feels great- silky but also adds some grip. It also helps with the one problem that I've had with the Smart Cover- a sharp edge on the hinge that digs into my left hand when the cover is folded underneath and I'm holding it book-style. The Smart Feather wraps around the hinge enough that it lessens that problem. The pics show what I'm talking about. Hope these are helpful :)

kvizzel
May 23, 2011, 11:47 PM
quick question, can it fully fold back like normal?

calvy
May 24, 2011, 04:08 AM
quick question, can it fully fold back like normal?

Yes it folds up exactly as normal.

I have a grey one and a black one. Debating which to keep. The blac shows grease marks easily.

mrgossett
May 24, 2011, 09:11 AM
Yes it folds up exactly as normal.

I have a grey one and a black one. Debating which to keep. The blac shows grease marks easily.

That's all correct. There's no difference in the function of the Smart Cover. And the black does tend to show finger prints and greasy marks, but it does wipe clean. I got the black because it looks better with my tan Smart Cover.

BlindMellon
May 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
So, for $35 all you get is a back cover? Looks good, but that's crazy talk.

oghowie
May 24, 2011, 04:31 PM
Btw, use FBFAN2011 to get 15% off.

starzplacez
May 24, 2011, 04:40 PM
im torn between this case + smart cover or the new Seidio ACTIVE: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csk5ipd2-bk.htm

Knowing myself I will probably drop the iPad 2 more than a couple of time.. the ACTIVE seems like it will offer much more protection.. thoughts?

3goldens
May 24, 2011, 05:56 PM
im torn between this case + smart cover or the new Seidio ACTIVE: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csk5ipd2-bk.htm

Knowing myself I will probably drop the iPad 2 more than a couple of time.. the ACTIVE seems like it will offer much more protection.. thoughts?

two totally different cases!

One could be for home and the other for out and about. One is going to weigh half as much, it really just depends on your Ipad using habits and where you take it. If your never going to use it outside of your home, then you won't need the added protection the Seidio gives you.

I really think that one looks too much like the Otterbox Defender anyway!

calvy
May 25, 2011, 04:05 AM
So my complaint about the smart feather is that I can't use it without the smart case. Or if I did I'd have a large piece sticking out on the side.

L2gbrian
May 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
So my complaint about the smart feather is that I can't use it without the smart case. Or if I did I'd have a large piece sticking out on the side.
WHAT!!!! LOL just buy the Feather Case then!!! hahahaha

mrgossett
May 25, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm really liking the Smart Feather/Smart Cover combo so far. I don't worry about the cover accidentally coming loose, and the slim iPad form factor is still there. I also have an STM Skinny case, which I really like, but the Feather/Smart Cover combo is more comfortable to hold book-style to read, and I can fold the Smart Cover into different positions to help with grip.

DocGo
May 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
I just got mine a few days ago. The left lower corner comes loose very easily and yesterday, it broke off completely. I have emailed the company. I hope they will replace this.

L2gbrian
May 26, 2011, 08:08 PM
I just got mine a few days ago. The left lower corner comes loose very easily and yesterday, it broke off completely. I have emailed the company. I hope they will replace this.
I have the cover buddy and the smart feather, tried both didn't feel that secure with the smart feather as I did with the cover buddy, not only that I hated that I had to take off the cover to take off the smart cover. Only if they made a cut out like the cover buddy then I would be totally sold on the smart feather.

DocGo
May 26, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have the cover buddy and the smart feather, tried both didn't feel that secure with the smart feather as I did with the cover buddy, not only that I hated that I had to take off the cover to take off the smart cover. Only if they made a cut out like the cover buddy then I would be totally sold on the smart feather.

Thanks for your input. I think I will order and give the Cover buddy a try. Is it heavier than the smart feather? I do like the minimal additional weight of the feather but if the cover buddy is not that much heavier, it might be worth the switch.

3goldens
May 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for your input. I think I will order and give the Cover buddy a try. Is it heavier than the smart feather? I do like the minimal additional weight of the feather but if the cover buddy is not that much heavier, it might be worth the switch.

Get the Belkin man! Way better shell! More coverage.

L2gbrian
May 26, 2011, 11:23 PM

Not that much heavier but it feels solid in the hands

DocGo
May 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
Not that much heavier but it feels solid in the hands

Thanks. Will keep that in mind. Incipio support was quick to respond and will send me a replacement.

L2gbrian
May 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks. Will keep that in mind. Incipio support was quick to respond and will send me a replacement.

Yeah they are good about that, thats how I got the smart feather. I originally just had the regular feather cover and it started to chip off the bottom left, sent some pics in via email and asked if they can send a replacement. So I wanted the smart feather instead of the feather cause I had a smart cover and it was the same price as the feather. 3 days later there was a brand new smart feather in the mail. Incipio has really great customer service.

michaelsviews
May 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
Belkin 2 snap on cover at Target, J&R, Best Buy

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=545331

Got mine from J&R and over night shipped because they were backlogged the whole deal for 23.00, sales man was Oscar, really nice guy and I'd order from him again.

Only imperfection is that you have to remove the cover to get to the SIM. OH WELL

mrgossett
May 28, 2011, 10:17 AM
There must be a lot of people here who aren't worried about the Smart Cover coming off accidentally and causing them to drop the iPad, but it happened to me. Luckily, it dropped in a soft recliner and did no damage. I decided then and there that I wouldn't use the Smart Cover any more unless there was some way to keep it attached. The Smart Feather case does that, but it's easy to remove if someone needs to clean the iPad, etc. It adds minimal weight and bulk, looks good, feels good, and fits well. Yes, the ends are exposed, and I wish they weren't, but I carry the iPad in a nice M-Edge padded zippered sleeve when I'm out in public.

3goldens
Jun 7, 2011, 11:02 AM
I received yesterday the Smart Feather for Ipad from GleeMobile.com

I got this primarily because I wanted to insect the design and see how well it worked with the Smart cover remaining attached to the ipad and whether or not i would like it.

Overall it was not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. Quite surprised actually.

As usual Incipio makes a splendid shell, thin, durable, good quality. I got mine in black and despite what I had been reading about it, I did not really have a problem with the fingerprints or grease, on the shell itself. I mean I think people who complain about these kinds of things should just put their ipads in a show case and only take it out when they have their white gloves on, you know what I mean?

Anyway, as we all know the cover does stay attached to the unit. I personally like the option of removing my cover whenever I want and really don't want it to be a hassle, that's me thought.

Let me be clear this is not a great big deal hassle, its justl another step one has to take when other shells seem to work just as well with the option available to the user.

I'm the type who is going to be holding my ipad by its cover, cause first, I'm not an idiot and second I know perfectly well that its going to break away and drop immediately. I don't see this accidental drop feature as being part of the reasoning behind this design feature. Actually, I don't see why they did this, it's really contrary to the whole design idea that Apple put out.

Be that it may, the case with the cover combination work perfectly well together, presenting a very slim and compact package containing protecting the Ipad from most accidental damage.

Incipio could have increased the coverage they offer on the back though. They could have easily covered those unprotected areas like the speaker and bottom portion area. This was obviously another design decision that I can not quite understand.

There are so many shells out there now that all incorporate the full coverage protection the back of your ipad needs, one has to question why this decision was made by Incipio.

Here again, its a good shell, very light and it will for sure have its fans and folks that will want to get this despite some of the drawbacks.

As I said I got mine at GleeMobile, no shipping fees, and they offer it at a discounted price and I found this coupon code, FEATHER20 which gave me another 20% off which brought it down to a very reasonable $24.00!

Not bad a deal! Comes with a screen protector also!

henchman
Jun 7, 2011, 12:26 PM
There must be a lot of people here who aren't worried about the Smart Cover coming off accidentally and causing them to drop the iPad, but it happened to me. Luckily, it dropped in a soft recliner and did no damage. I decided then and there that I wouldn't use the Smart Cover any more unless there was some way to keep it attached. The Smart Feather case does that, but it's easy to remove if someone needs to clean the iPad, etc. It adds minimal weight and bulk, looks good, feels good, and fits well. Yes, the ends are exposed, and I wish they weren't, but I carry the iPad in a nice M-Edge padded zippered sleeve when I'm out in public.

I totally agree with you.
The smart cover is a disaster waiting to happen.
I got the ion carbon cover, after getting a yooban leather case.
The ion is slim, and offers great edge protection and has a folding cover just Like the smart cover.

frega
Jun 7, 2011, 10:29 PM
I thought the Smart Cover magnets is supposed to be strong. Remember seeing a video where someone stuck the cover to a fridge with the ipad still attached, dangling.

oghowie
Jun 7, 2011, 11:00 PM
I got the gray one today and like it a lot. The texture and rounded corners make it more comfortable to hold the ipad. My 3 yr old occasionally uses the ipad to read and play games so this will help keep the smart cover on at all times. The only downside that I can think of is that there is not enough coverage at the top and bottom. The Cover Buddy is definitely better in this regard. I'll definitely be keeping this case.

oghowie
Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 PM
I thought the Smart Cover magnets is supposed to be strong. Remember seeing a video where someone stuck the cover to a fridge with the ipad still attached, dangling.

Push it at certain angle and it actually comes off pretty easily.

henchman
Jun 8, 2011, 03:45 AM

Wait till your iPad goes flying a couple of times.
Not so smart cover.

theautopilot
Jun 8, 2011, 03:53 PM
I don't understand how people's iPads are going flying, what are they doing? Holding it by the smart cover?

henchman
Jun 8, 2011, 03:55 PM
I don't understand how people's iPads are going flying, what are they doing? Holding it by the smart cover?

Don't worry.
It will happen to you too at some point.
It's bit a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Night Spring
Jun 9, 2011, 01:22 PM
Don't worry.
It will happen to you too at some point.
It's bit a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

I wouldn't say it's a matter of when -- it's a matter of how you hold the iPad. Yes, the smart cover tends to snap off unexpectedly, but if you are aware of that and take appropriate care in how you hold your iPad, then the cover snapping off won't cause your iPad to go flying.

henchman
Jun 9, 2011, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't say it's a matter of when -- it's a matter of how you hold the iPad. Yes, the smart cover tends to snap off unexpectedly, but if you are aware of that and take appropriate care in how you hold your iPad, then the cover snapping off won't cause your iPad to go flying.

Just trying to warn people.
Putting a full protection casein your iPad is simply smart.
Much smarter than relying on the smart cover.

AreYouIn?
Jul 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
For anyone who has had this case for a while can you tell me how you are liking it? I have the smart cover now and refuse to use it as a stand because it pops off when I try to gently reposition it. Which is difficult when I am using it as a stand on the table to watch a video with a 2 year old in my lap.

ejfontenot
Jul 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have been having this "case" with a smart cover for almost a month now and I love it. Together they add very little bulk to the iPad2 and look slick together. I have a gray smart cover and a black back on a white ipad. Simply awesome looking and flawless in design.

clue11
Jul 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
I have been having this "case" with a smart cover for almost a month now and I love it. Together they add very little bulk to the iPad2 and look slick together. I have a gray smart cover and a black back on a white ipad. Simply awesome looking and flawless in design.

Can you please post some pictures? I'm curious to see how the grey and black looks together. Thanks!