PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Charging Problems HELP!

EJBasile
Mar 6, 2005, 08:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a Rev D 12" PowerBook. I am having a problem with charging the battery. A few days ago I had it unplugged, then I plugged it back in and I would not charge and the light on the charger plug did not light up- and yes it was plugged in. I restarted twice and then reset my PMU. Today, I unplugged it and used it. I plugged it back in and the battery level said 95% and it was calculating how long it would take to recharge. 10 min later I come back and its still adn 95% and determining how long it will take to recharge.

Whats going on hear and what do I do.

EDIT: Batts still at 95%, calculating info, and charger light is green

I read at apple support that overtime the PMU may not work and resetting it is only temp. Do I have a real problem here? I've only had this thing exactly 1 WEEK!!! 2 problems in one week that seem to be related.

EJBasile
Mar 6, 2005, 09:05 PM
Anyone??????????

mkrishnan
Mar 6, 2005, 09:24 PM
Anyone??????????

Since you've only had your PB for a week, forgive me for mentioning this, if it's too obvious. You seem to have done a lot of research, if you are already rockin' the PMU.... Have you used the battery on a full discharge cycle yet? You might address these issues if you let it discharge all the way and then recharge it, per these instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Since it's so new, the PMU might not have been able to get a bead on the battery yet, and might not yet be able to make accurate estimates of remaining power.

Also, again, not to be too obvious, but the PMU is designed to not charge the battery unless it is actually below 95% of capacity, in order to prevent continually charging it a tiny amount, and wearing it out. I wasn't sure from your message if, when you used it unplugged, it was likely to have actually gone below 95%, or if you had used it for a couple of hours, and it was clearly below 95%, but still reported that level.

EJBasile
Mar 6, 2005, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=mkrishnan]Since you've only had your PB for a week, forgive me for mentioning this, if it's too obvious. You seem to have done a lot of research, if you are already rockin' the PMU.... Have you used the battery on a full discharge cycle yet? You might address these issues if you let it discharge all the way and then recharge it, per these instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Since it's so new, the PMU might not have been able to get a bead on the battery yet, and might not yet be able to make accurate estimates of remaining power.

Also, again, not to be too obvious, but the PMU is designed to not charge the battery unless it is actually below 95% of capacity, in order to prevent continually charging it a tiny amount, and wearing it out. I wasn't sure from your message if, when you used it unplugged, it was likely to have actually gone below 95%, or if you had used it for a couple of hours, and it was clearly below 95%, but still reported that level.[/QUOTE

Yea I have already calibrated my battery. I am going to see if I can run down my battery a little and I will repost with the results.

EJBasile
Mar 6, 2005, 09:46 PM
Yea, I ran the battery down to 88% and it will charge now.

WOW that scared the crap out of me. If there was a hardware problem I would have been extremely pissed off at apple.

Thank you very much!!!!

mkrishnan
Mar 6, 2005, 10:02 PM
WOW that scared the crap out of me. If there was a hardware problem I would have been extremely pissed off at apple.

Any time. :) It should come off of "calculating," even if you are above 95%, though. Mine says 97%, right now, and "battery is charged," because it has been moved around a few times off the plug. This might straighten out in due time, as the computer and the battery get to know each other, but if it never says that, you might possibly have an issue. So I'd give it time. ;)