Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterhiggins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Hello, everyone. I have a bit of an irritating issue. I've had my powerbook for about 1 year and half now and I recently purchased my wife a new iBook (xmax present). We both have exactly the same airport extreme card (with the same firmware according to system profile), yet she is able to access our Airport Express network in areas that I'm unable to. Is there a logical reason for this? Or is there a way to fix it? My signal strength drops dramatically for some reason. The only thing that I can think of is the difference in our laptop casings? Other than that, I'm completely bewildered. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Sam

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
masterhiggins said:
Hello, everyone. I have a bit of an irritating issue. I've had my powerbook for about 1 year and half now and I recently purchased my wife a new iBook (xmax present). We both have exactly the same airport extreme card (with the same firmware according to system profile), yet she is able to access our Airport Express network in areas that I'm unable to. Is there a logical reason for this? Or is there a way to fix it? My signal strength drops dramatically for some reason. The only thing that I can think of is the difference in our laptop casings? Other than that, I'm completely bewildered. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Sam
The iBook's antenna is in the screen i think, (maybe the other way around) And the Powerbook's casing is steel - not a very good passive substance.

kyle

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
yea i find that with my 12" powerbook, it never got a good enough signal in my room in the basement (still in highschool) but my imac G3 right beside it gets almost full signal, i ended up buying an airport express to extent the network so that my powerbook would have internet in my room, i assume its the casing, and on the powerbook, i believe it is the bluetooth antenna that is on the screen

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
All aluminum PowerBooks have their Airport antennas on the upper case, right behind those plastic nubs on either side of the screens (on the lid). iBooks have their Airport antennas in the same spot but since the lids and bezels are made of plastic, they get much better reception than PowerBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.