Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Hello all,

I had a hunch that this would only be a matter of time, and sure enough, it's happened. My November 2009 MacBook has officially begun to crack in a few areas on the case. The main cracking is on the rear of the computer where the hinge connects to the screen. There is also one crack beginning to form on the left side of my palm rest area. I wonder if apple will provide free replacements for this model as well. This makes me believe apple should just get rid of the plastics altogether.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Haha luckily for you (and I as well) they do, for free, with no questions asked. This is widely known that the polycarbonate Macs crack around the area near the bottom of the screen (plastic) and at the palm rest around the corners.

Just call ahead, make sure they have the part in stock (tell them that it's cracked and ask if they can fix it in house) and if so, head over there, drop it off, find something to do, and come back later that day and pick it up :)

The bottom palm rest of my blackbook is cracked and I'm planning on going to the nearest Apple store as soon as I get off for the summer to get it fixed.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Haha luckily for you (and I as well) they do, for free, with no questions asked. This is widely known that the polycarbonate Macs crack around the area near the bottom of the screen (plastic) and at the palm rest around the corners.

Just call ahead, make sure they have the part in stock (tell them that it's cracked and ask if they can fix it in house) and if so, head over there, drop it off, find something to do, and come back later that day and pick it up :)

The bottom palm rest of my blackbook is cracked and I'm planning on going to the nearest Apple store as soon as I get off for the summer to get it fixed.

Yeah but her model is an unibody one, it shouldn't be breaking since there is nothing slamming at it every time you close the lid.

It has happened before and apple replaced it for free (under warranty). Mine has nothing of those cracks but the top part is new (faulty lcd, replaced for free).

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Yeah but her model is an unibody one, it shouldn't be breaking since there is nothing slamming at it every time you close the lid.

It has happened before and apple replaced it for free (under warranty). Mine has nothing of those cracks but the top part is new (faulty lcd, replaced for free).

Lol I am a guy. Blondie was just my nickname from high school. But yeah, I was wondering if the warranty would still cover my cracks for free as well. I have a few friends that have had issues with their 2009 MacBook plastic cracking as well. So I think they may head into apple and see what they can do.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Lol I am a guy. Blondie was just my nickname from high school. But yeah, I was wondering if the warranty would still cover my cracks for free as well. I have a few friends that have had issues with their 2009 MacBook plastic cracking as well. So I think they may head into apple and see what they can do.

Sorry :p let's hope the 2009 and later macbooks don't start cracking on everybody:(

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Sorry :p let's hope the 2009 and later macbooks don't start cracking on everybody:(

Yeah hopefully. It's definitely been a slower process than the previous generation MacBooks. And it probably doesn't help that I'm a college student who probably doesn't treat his computer as nice as he should :p

floricultor

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Cracks in my Mac Book

Please help me:
I have a Mac Book with the following specifications:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.13f3
Serial Number: 4H6467VDWGL

The working surface is breaking up, I don’t know why, I am attaching 2 pictures. (I also have an I Book , a Mac Air and and an I Mac, and these have no problems).
I will be in the USA, in New York City from 3 May to 8 May; where can I have this problem solved and repaired?
Regards,
floricultor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I'm sure that you can get it repaired at the apple store in New York City. It shouldn't take them too long either. However, since your MacBook model is a decent amount older than most, I would call them up before you head to U.S.A. and have them order the parts directly to the store. From there they should be able to get you fixed up and on your way :) I don't know about cost though...you'll have to ask apple.

Cheers!

Jameswma

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Hello all,

I had a hunch that this would only be a matter of time, and sure enough, it's happened. My November 2009 MacBook has officially begun to crack in a few areas on the case. The main cracking is on the rear of the computer where the hinge connects to the screen. There is also one crack beginning to form on the left side of my palm rest area. I wonder if apple will provide free replacements for this model as well. This makes me believe apple should just get rid of the plastics altogether.

did you get those cracks fixed?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I'm sure that you can get it repaired at the apple store in New York City. It shouldn't take them too long either. However, since your MacBook model is a decent amount older than most, I would call them up before you head to U.S.A. and have them order the parts directly to the store. From there they should be able to get you fixed up and on your way :) I don't know about cost though...you'll have to ask apple.

Cheers!

did you get those cracks fixed?

yes, did you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.