PDA

View Full Version : Getting files from G3 Powerbook to a monder Mac

rockinrocker
Apr 22, 2011, 02:07 AM
Hi-

Is there any way to get all the stuff that's on my old harddrive onto one of my newer Macs?
The G3's running OS 8.5.1.

I guess if it's possible it'd have to be via ethernet?
It's one of the earlier models that doesn't even have USB (not that that'd make any difference).

gr8tfly
Apr 22, 2011, 02:29 AM
File sharing over Ethernet should work.

Other options would be to use a PC Card (Cardbus) USB or FireWire adapter and an intermediate external HD to transfer the files.

Edit: just thought of another option: remove the HD and use an external IDE to USB case (or cable adapter, IDE to USB). Then you can just use it as you would any other external USB drive.

rockinrocker
Apr 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
If there's a way to do it over ethernet that'd be great.

I'm at kind of a loss as to how to set it up though...

cocacolakid
Apr 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
Make sure both Macs are on the same network, then follow these directions....

"http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/os9x_net_n_filesharing.html (scroll to the bottom for OS 8)

On the newer Mac...

In Finder select "Connect to Server..." from the Go menu.
To connect to an OS 8.5 or OS 8.6 system, I enter the string "afp:/at/OS8MacName:*" (Replace MacName with the name of your OS 8.5 Mac)

The OS 8.5 and OS 8.6 systems used AppleTalk-over-Ethernet for their file server, so they don't use the IP address for file sharing services. You need to know the name of the OS 8.6 Mac to connect this way. It's the "Computer Name:" in the OS 8.6 File Sharing control panel.

You should be prompted for a user name and password, as with OS 9 (enter a name and password set up on the OS 8.6 system's File Sharing control panel.)"