Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
I'm wondering if anybody else here has done this. I'm in a bit of a hurry (a school project is on the drive I need to toss in). Any help is appreciated.

I have the stock 80GB, the new 250GB right above it. Now I'd like to add my spare 80GB via the empty zip drive slot below the DVD-R.

I can't seem to slide it into the slot, as the case construction is blocking me from doing is.

Does anybody happen to have a site with diagrams, or perhaps, would anybody be able to tell me how to get this drive into the zip slot?

Thanks.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Why not get an updated (PCI) ATA card and hanging disks off that..
I'm surprised that you can see all of the 250G disk.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
I've been reading on Accelerate Your Mac. Thanks, but I'm not finding much there so far...

So what are my alternatives if I don't use the zip slot?

Can you order another drive sled and fit at least one more drive at the bottom of the case? If so, where might I find a drive sled?

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
Picked up the SIIG 133 PCI card. Installed it, hooked up the drive - nothing.

I'll be taking the card back in a few days when I have the time. In the meantime, has anybody else done this that might know something I'm missing?

Thanks.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Um, there should be a 3rd Hard drive bay with a cable in there. You shouldn't need a card at all, nor should you have to put it in the zip drive slot.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
Negative. This is a Quicksilver 2002 model, not the MDD G4. It comes with one dual HD sled and officially only supports two HDs. There is a plate mount for a third HD, however, there is nothing to plug it into (besides the power supply).

There is the HD ATA 133 Bus, which is right next to the dual sled, and the DVD-R / Zip drive ATA Bus, which is, apparently, only ATA33.

Either way, I can't fit the drive into the Zip slot unless I take apart the entire case - and this card didn't work (I'm going to try and exchange it, see if it was just defective). After that, I don't know what else to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.