PDA

View Full Version : eMac 1.25GHz G4, 512 MB RAM - what will its performance be like?

grapemac
Apr 22, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hey.

I am considering buying an eMac (one of the G3-style iMacs but with the G4 processor). It runs up to Leopard, it runs the current iWork suite. But I'm wondering what sort of internet performance I can expect?

I had a G3 for a while a couple of months ago and YouTube didn't work. This was probably a combination of slow processor (500MHz I think) and the fact it could only run up to Tiger (i.e. missing out on newer Safari features/performance).

So what internet performance (I use flash a lot on Pitchfork's website) should I expect from one of these eMacs of 1.25GHz G4 processor and 512MB DDR RAM?

Full specs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emac Look at "eMac (USB 2.0)"

Of course, if any of you own one, please give me your experience. I am not a heavy computer user and so for 45 I am tempted to get this machine and sell my 2008 MacBook.

Thanks!

walterwhite
Apr 22, 2011, 07:01 AM
My father still has the original version of this... 700MHz and still works great on 10.4.11. The eMac you speak of is still very usable and should work well with a memory upgrade... the Hard Drive can be upgraded but is a tougher swap.

cherry su
Apr 22, 2011, 07:37 AM
What are you going to do with the eMac? It'll be fine for email, flashless web, and word processing, but not so great for youtube or flash games.

mrkramer
Apr 22, 2011, 07:43 AM
So what internet performance (I use flash a lot on Pitchfork's website) should I expect from one of these eMacs of 1.25GHz G4 processor and 512MB DDR RAM?

Since you use flash, don't expect good performance. I used to have what I think is the previous gen, 1GHz and 768MB RAM, it was still usable when I replaced it about 3 or 4 years ago, but it was showing it's age already. Obviously yours will be faster than mine was, but don't expect any decent performance with flash anything else should be fine though.

adcx64
Apr 22, 2011, 10:01 AM
Just upgrade the memory, and you'll have no problem in leopard.

zen.state
Apr 22, 2011, 10:34 AM
It amazes me how few people know about MacTubes (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28608/mactubes) for playing youtube videos perfectly at half the CPU use or less vs. the web/flash interface.

Simply set the player setting to Quicktime in the MacTubes preferences and enjoy YouTube far more on PowerPC Macs. I even use it on my Intel MacBook because I prefer the raw app interface rather that the bastardized web interface of youtube. Even a G4 500 can play YT vids great with it.

To the original poster:

If you at least double the RAM to 1GB or even better go to the max of 2GB your 10.5 experience will be great. 512MB simply isn't enough to make 10.5 happy. I much prefer 10.5 over 10.4 but if you would stay at 512MB then I recommend 10.4. I would imagine 2x 1GB wouldn't be more than maybe 25 pounds.

A 1.25GHz G4 can still easily be capable if you use it right. The RAM along with the following apps will make 10.5 purr along great.:

Web - G4 optimized Camino, OminiWeb or TenFourFox

Youtube - Mactubes..

Ripped video (DivX, XviD, h.264 etc.) - This (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129727&highlight=) G4 optimized build of Mplayer and VLC for the rare thing it won't play. Be sure to set the Mplayer preferences the way I show there.

Those functions are all you really list the need for so I won't go on.

joepunk
Apr 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
I did not know about MacTubes, Thanks.

And like others have said you should do fine. Just when you have multiple applications running and only 512mb then you will start longing for more ram as I have done with my powerbook.

Fairly recently I saw an eMac at a local thrift store and was tempted as maybe giving it to a family member's 10 year old. I passed on it because it was in the 700MHz and did not have usb2.

cocacolakid
Apr 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
MacTubes will solve the Youtube problem, as another poster said.

TenFourFox or Camino will give you a better browser experience, they are optimized for PPC cpu's.

You can still have some flash problems on a PPC in a browser, any video streaming is going to be very choppy, and unless you increase the RAM it might be pointless to even try streaming video.

But other than that it makes for a nice, inexpensive computer.

AdrianK
Apr 24, 2011, 04:17 AM
Why would you want to sell your macbook? You say you don't use too many intensive programs, so it's sounds like you'll be able to stick with your macbook for a pretty long time.

Hardtimes
Apr 25, 2011, 06:30 PM
To the original poster:

If you at least double the RAM to 1GB or even better go to the max of 2GB your 10.5 experience will be great. 512MB simply isn't enough to make 10.5 happy. I much prefer 10.5 over 10.4 but if you would stay at 512MB then I recommend 10.4. I would imagine 2x 1GB wouldn't be more than maybe 25 pounds.

I just picked up an Emac for my other half to mess around with but cant find any ram for under 45 - any tips for your source of the cheap goodness?

I'm after 2x1GB 184 Pin DDR2700 333MHz Low Density (I believe)

Thanks!

zen.state
Apr 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
I just picked up an Emac for my other half to mess around with but cant find any ram for under 45 - any tips for your source of the cheap goodness?

I'm after 2x1GB 184 Pin DDR2700 333MHz Low Density (I believe)

Thanks!

I should have specified I meant used. I swear by the seller in this ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.ca/2GB-2X1GB-Apple-G4-eMac-G5-iMac-Powermac-memory-ram-DDR-/380334105938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588dade552#ht_744wt_722) who is selling the pair for what works out to be about 33 pounds. His shipping is always cheap also. I have been buying RAM from him for about 4 years for myself and clients that want to save money.

I guess the standard DDR prices have gone up a bit as I see a new set for about 75 Canadian (48 pounds) yet the DDR2 and single data rate SD stay low. Odd..