Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoLRT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Toronto, Duh!
Will Minecraft run with any kind of framerate on the Intel HD 3000 from the low-end 13" Macbook pro? I want to buy It, but I'm worried about lag.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Minecraft runs terribly on my old MacBook with an X3100. It runs fine on my MBP with a 320M, and I installed minecraft on a 13" i5 MBP at the Apple Store (with HD 3000 GPU). It ran much better than on my 320M. I think the processor power is much better for boosting minecraft's performance than the graphics processor power is. After all, minecraft has low quality graphics (8-bit?).

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Minecraft runs terribly on my old MacBook with an X3100. It runs fine on my MBP with a 320M, and I installed minecraft on a 13" i5 MBP at the Apple Store (with HD 3000 GPU). It ran much better than on my 320M. I think the processor power is much better for boosting minecraft's performance than the graphics processor power is. After all, minecraft has low quality graphics (8-bit?).

Nope. Not 8bit at all. It just has extremely low quality textures.

The reason it runs better on a new MBP than your 320m based one is due to the fact that Minecraft is developed on Java. Which is a processor intensive hunk of junk when it comes to coding. If you were to now, however, turn on Advanced OpenGL options on both computers. The 320m would outperform the GMA3k

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Minecraft performs like it does because of the crap coding and nonexistant performance tuning, not because it's Java.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
My 9400m smokes Minecraft, albeit, I play in Windows, as that's the version of the game I have. Either way, I have the limit framerate option on, with all options maxed, and there is zero lag. Granted, it's not a particularly intense game, but I think if my computer can handle it, the 13" MBP will be fine, especially with its good drivers for the HD3000.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
This "game" seems like one of the dumbest games ever.

It's actually one of the most unique and fun games ever. Just a shame the developers are adding dumb things like achievements instead of focusing on fixing multiplayer issues and making the game not run like a dog.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This "game" seems like one of the dumbest games ever.

Buuuuh?!
It's great. Probably one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. Does get a bit boring but thankfully the developers keep adding stuff to it and that keeps it interesting.

It's actually one of the most unique and fun games ever. Just a shame the developers are adding dumb things like achievements instead of focusing on fixing multiplayer issues and making the game not run like a dog.

Buuuuh?!
I've got a 2006 iMac - 2ghz C2D with an x1600 video card. I can run this game maxed out at 1680*1050 with every setting on max+view distance at far (one below the furthest) and it runs at 40-60fps. It used to be quite bad. But 1.5 made performance just peachy.

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
Do you find that the textures and blocks dont look right when playing full screen?

I have to play it in window about 1/4 of my screen, me resolution is 1920x1200

WestC07

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
I've been playing Minecraft for a few months on my old Windows laptop, but I just got the high end MBP a couple weeks ago and was looking to purchase Minecraft for my Mac.

Problem is... and I'm not sure if it is indeed a problem but, when I am trying to just test the game on my Mac through the in-browser classic version it never loads for me.

Link here:
http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp

I can hear the music, but I can never see the game. I've tried integrated/discrete graphics and Safari/Chrome to no avail so that got me worrying that maybe if I purchase the full game for my 2011 MBP that it won't work there either.

Any advice?

[Edit: Nevermind, just got it working in Safari on the 6750 card and it looks great! Outside I've had the FPS peak at 1,035 FPS hahaha. ]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.