Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Got a new AppleTV and am going to set it up this weekend after I do my first wireless router.

That said, my wife and I have personal iTunes libraries and user accounts on a Windows XP machine. Can either of those be used to sync to the ATV via iTunes Sharing by simply logging in and out of our OS as different users?

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
Got a new AppleTV and am going to set it up this weekend after I do my first wireless router.

That said, my wife and I have personal iTunes libraries and user accounts on a Windows XP machine. Can either of those be used to sync to the ATV via iTunes Sharing by simply logging in and out of our OS as different users?

The ATV2 doesnt really sync just streams.

From my experience it will see any live open itunes libraries using the same homeshare you set it up with. So you will need to setup both libraries using one master homeshare code and then the same code on the ATV2. Your ATV2 will then "see" either library that is currently open.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You can use each account by logging into your iTunes account on apple tv. But you can't use them simultaneously.

You can use them simultaneously. Or is that a Windows limitation? I know on the Mac you can have multiple different personal iTunes accounts open in different accounts on one computer as well as on different computers. And the Apple TV can access them all simultaneously.

You don't have to use the same iTunes accounts but you do need to use just one email address when setting up Home Sharing to tie them all together. But everyone's individual iTunes accounts remains the same.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
You can use them simultaneously. Or is that a Windows limitation? I know on the Mac you can have multiple different personal iTunes accounts open in different accounts on one computer as well as on different computers. And the Apple TV can access them all simultaneously.

You don't have to use the same iTunes accounts but you do need to use just one email address when setting up Home Sharing to tie them all together. But everyone's individual iTunes accounts remains the same.

With XP at least we're limited to one iTunes library at a time. Not a biggie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.