PDA

View Full Version : WoW Framerates?

Muzukun
Mar 7, 2005, 03:31 AM
Hey,

I made the switch from my pc to a mac powerbook (1.5Ghz 15 inch version). And I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to get a boost in my framerate? My PC is doing an easy double the frames of the mac all the time. Right now it's just at 512 megs of ram so... would tossing in another 512 make a big difference in the frame rate or should I just pocket the cash instead? Thanks!

Muz

Abulia
Mar 7, 2005, 11:28 AM
I don't normally do this but...

Do a Search of the forums, please. There's a ton of topics on WoW performance on the Mac and how to maximize. Really. Tons. Metric and imperial. :)

Muzukun
Mar 7, 2005, 12:23 PM
well... yeah, I did look at them, and was skimming through them and mainly saw what software updates did for the most part.

Converted2Truth
Mar 7, 2005, 12:34 PM
you definately need more ram. It will make everything faster. Other than that, just turn down terrain distance. Then you'll get much better performance.

For more info, this topic has been beaten into the ground in various other threads on this site. Hope they help...

Muzukun
Mar 7, 2005, 01:04 PM
you definately need more ram. It will make everything faster. Other than that, just turn down terrain distance. Then you'll get much better performance.

For more info, this topic has been beaten into the ground in various other threads on this site. Hope they help...

Well how large of a jump could I expect overall? Would it be something major, or would I end up seeing a relatively minor jump in the frame rate for the game?

vasaz
Mar 7, 2005, 01:05 PM
More RAM should help, these are things I found that helped me get a few extra frames:

-Disable 'level of detail' (it says it improves performance when enabled, but it's the opposite for me by about 5 fps!) and 'vertical synch' in video options
-Obviously, set the processor performance to highest
-Quitting the finder also gives a frame or two extra (can enable using TinkerTool app).

I'm using a powerbook 1.5 w/1.5 gigs ram... while performance isn't great, it's quite playable even with the graphic settings up.

edit: more RAM will help prevent 'freezes' in places such as towns when a lot of other players are present, I don't think it improves top frame rates much, just makes it more consistent.

andrewfee
Mar 7, 2005, 02:35 PM
The thing is that, no matter how good the framerate is, it still feels worse than a PC. I've got a PC that gets 20-30 fps outside, and 10-20 in towns; my powerbook gets at least 5-10 fps faster than that in the same places, but it feels worse.

Why? Because the Mac version doesn't support triple-buffering. :mad:

It's really noticable what's happening if you take a screenshot when moving, it's not a smooth image; almost like v-sync is off. (but it isn't)

Demon Hunter
Mar 7, 2005, 04:12 PM
All of the Macs are having issues with WoW... but don't worry, Blizzard is on top of it.

With Powerbooks I've noticed that they can usually handle all of the visual options without much of a decrease in performance. Which is great, unfortunately the downside to this is that disabling them doesn't increase performance very much, either.

If you're really desperate for FPS, turn the sound off. The CPU also processes a lot of sound data.

Then just turn up your stereo for an awesome WoW session. :)

Abulia
Mar 7, 2005, 04:22 PM
All of the Macs are having issues with WoW... but don't worry, Blizzard is on top of it.They are? Cite please.

Demon Hunter
Mar 7, 2005, 04:28 PM
From another thread:

The last Blizzard update brought the performance increases, and according to Rob Barris they're are plenty of things that remain to be improved, (and AF to be unlocked). I'd wait till the next WoW update to make any inferences on performance.

Rob Barris is like the head of Mac dev at Blizzard... he's even posted here before I think. Really awesome guy... but anyway look around the threads or do a search, Macs are experiencing slowdown issues and "hitching" as one MR member called it.

shortyjj
Mar 7, 2005, 05:04 PM
Rob Barris is like the head of Mac dev at Blizzard... he's even posted here before I think.

Funny, I was just thinking, I wonder where Rob Barris is? He used to post here all the time, it seemed.

I was going to ask him, beg him, plead with him to give us some indication of when more content would finally be released. WoW used to get all my free time, but I finally let my subscription lapse b/c I can't justify spending another $15 to keep re-playing the same old content...

Rincewind42
Mar 7, 2005, 07:24 PM
Funny, I was just thinking, I wonder where Rob Barris is? He used to post here all the time, it seemed.

I was going to ask him, beg him, plead with him to give us some indication of when more content would finally be released. WoW used to get all my free time, but I finally let my subscription lapse b/c I can't justify spending another $15 to keep re-playing the same old content...

Well, Blizz recently dropped a Warcraft III update, and they have announced what new content will be in the next patch, so that might be why you aren't seeing him around much.

BrianKonarsMac
Mar 7, 2005, 08:04 PM
go check out worldofwarcraft.com, the dire maul preview has me drooling...

DIRE MAUL FOR THE LOOTS!!!

o and don't expect comparable performance from a mac (unfortunately =/) as far as games until apple get's serious about gaming.

Rincewind42
Mar 8, 2005, 12:46 AM
o and don't expect comparable performance from a mac (unfortunately =/) as far as games until apple get's serious about gaming.

Lets not start this -- there is a thread on Mac-OpenGL (developers list) that won't die just because of some Doom 3 results...