PDA

View Full Version : Laptops and Lion: Do the laptop screen turn off when extern screen connected?

ztrafe
Apr 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
When an extern display are connected to the laptop both the laptop and extern display are enabled when the lid are open in Snow Leopard. That cause the temps in the mac to rise by around 10+c. But in Snow Leopard you allso can turn off the internal display with the following trick:
1: Laptop are in sleep mode.
2: Wake up the computer with the keyboard.
3: Open the laptop display.
= Resultat is that the laptop display are not turned on. Good airflow, good temps..

* laptop display closed: 5c higher then when open and the external Display are connected
* Macbook display and extern display enabled: 10+c higher temps.

Can somebody test if itīs posible to turn off the laptop display in Lion and if the laptop display connection turns off automatically when brightness are turned alway down?

thanks

:)

hamis92
Apr 22, 2011, 03:45 PM
Turning brightness all the way down does not turn off the notebook's internal display. All it does is it turns off the backlight but the screen is still on. You can confirm this by pointing a flashlight to the screen: you can still see the images there.

It has always been this way, and my best guess is that it will be in Lion as well.

ztrafe
Apr 22, 2011, 04:58 PM
Turning brightness all the way down does not turn off the notebook's internal display. All it does is it turns off the backlight but the screen is still on. You can confirm this by pointing a flashlight to the screen: you can still see the images there.

It has always been this way, and my best guess is that it will be in Lion as well.

ok :/ Please implement this Apple. The laptops will run much cooler when using an external screen

I just installed Lion and testet it, the trick in Snow Leopard dont work anymore and the fan speed was around 4000-6200RPM and 70c when just switching spaces. The cpu usage was about 30-50%. I tested just with the internal screen on and the cpu usage was about 0-2% and the fan speed 2000RPM. WTF Apple! Fix this ASAP.

SwichResX do the job in SL but that program using to much CPU... Well, itīs better than 30-50 % cpu

...The magnet trick still work

dgg32
Jul 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
also have this problem, google for solution and the first hit is this thread.

Kludge420
Aug 4, 2011, 07:54 PM
I really hate people when they say, "Google it." Not only is it not helpful it shows they don't actually know how Google works...

Hey genius, how do you think I got here?

Here is the answer:

Get a small flexible magnetic strip (like a fridge magnet) and place it forward (towards you) of the left speaker grill. It should not be covering the grill but right on the edge of it.

I took an old pizza place's magnet I had on the fridge and cut a strip out of it and it works great. I cut too small a piece at first so make sure you cut a piece the width of the speaker grill by about half an inch. I guess it depends on the strength of your magnet but that one was really, really weak and it worked.