PDA

View Full Version : What framework should I delve into?

bms624
Apr 22, 2011, 03:05 PM
This is definitely one of those "what language should I learn threads?", but I'm not a beginner. Let me give a little background: I graduated in 2007 with a degree in computer technology (not science) with a focus on software development and web development. While in school, I hired on with an automotive supplier as a contracted radio technician with hopes of getting my foot in the door with writing software. It's taken a while, but I'm now getting ready to be trained in our next product we're working on and will possibly be writing test scripts in C# .NET. I'm looking forward to the experience and knowledge I will gain but long-term, it's not where my passion is. I enjoy some web development, but haven't had much experience with it since college and haven't had any reason to delve deeper into it. Recently, I've had a few people approach me about building websites for them for a salary, so it's started to spark some interest into that field again. I have experience with several languages: Java, HTML, C#, ASP, SQL, PL/SQL, some Objective-C, C. But it's only at a very intermediate level, nothing advanced like Java servlets, Cocoa, or .NET framework specific. In my spare time, I'd like to delve deeper into something more advanced. I love the Mac platform for development just because a lot of things are built into the system already. Some languages I'm thinking of looking into are:

1. Java (specifically Tomcat and Spring)
2. Objective-C (Cocoa, iPhone)
3. Ruby (Rails)

I know #1 and #3 are more web specific and might be beneficial because of my background in web development, but I really like the surge going on with Objective-C and the Mac and iPhone platforms. But would this help on a career level? I want to pick one where there's a strong demand for it and something that puts food on the table. I'm not talking about just writing apps for the app store, but writing apps for businesses that use Macs. It just seems like it's hard to land an entry or junior level job out therre without some type of experience. My main experience now is just education and I'd like to dig deeper into these frameworks out there that are used to work on a project that might gain me experience to show employers. Are there advantages to learning one framework over another or should I just pick one and go with it? I know Java and .NET are used a lot in the enterprise, but it seems like there's no shortages of these developers out there. Would learning a niche language like Objective-C or Ruby be an advantage since there are fewer experts in these languages? I'm open to any ideas or questions that people might have. Thanks.

Cromulent
Apr 22, 2011, 03:54 PM
But it's only at a very intermediate level, nothing advanced like Java servlets, Cocoa, or .NET framework specific.

That sounds quite basic to me. Using the Java servlets API or the various Cocoa frameworks are hardly advanced.

Advanced programming is generally centred around writing your own unique software for which there are no existing solutions.

1. Java (specifically Tomcat and Spring)
2. Objective-C (Cocoa, iPhone)
3. Ruby (Rails)

I know #1 and #3 are more web specific and might be beneficial because of my background in web development, but I really like the surge going on with Objective-C and the Mac and iPhone platforms. But would this help on a career level? I want to pick one where there's a strong demand for it and something that puts food on the table. I'm not talking about just writing apps for the app store, but writing apps for businesses that use Macs. It just seems like it's hard to land an entry or junior level job out therre without some type of experience. My main experience now is just education and I'd like to dig deeper into these frameworks out there that are used to work on a project that might gain me experience to show employers. Are there advantages to learning one framework over another or should I just pick one and go with it? I know Java and .NET are used a lot in the enterprise, but it seems like there's no shortages of these developers out there. Would learning a niche language like Objective-C or Ruby be an advantage since there are fewer experts in these languages? I'm open to any ideas or questions that people might have. Thanks.

My suggestion (since this is a subject I am very familiar with myself) would be to pick a language / framework and become as knowledgeable in that chosen framework as you can be. If you spend time contributing to the various mailing lists / forums / newsgroups of that framework people will notice you and you will be able to point to perspective employers showing them your expertise (and your enthusiasm as you will be doing this unpaid in your spare time obviously for a fair while). Also try and contribute code to the framework in question. Nothing shouts "expert" more than a code contributor to perspective employers (no matter if it is true or not).

Personally I tend to stick with C, Objective-C and Python (Django).