PDA

View Full Version : Mareware MicroShell iPad 2 case Pictures

3goldens
Apr 22, 2011, 03:50 PM
ADDENDUM ADDED AT END OF POST!
MAREWARE CONFIRMS INTIAL PROBLEMS WITH FIT OF MICROSHELL

Received this today.

Mixed feelings. Had to remove back protection for it to fit. It is very very secure once attached. In fact so secure it was a real struggle to get it on in the first place which makes this a less desirable backing for my Ipad.

Before I took off the backing I struggled for what must have been 10 minutes trying to get all snaps to click in. No go.

So I removed the BSE I had on since almost day one, no easy chore either by the way, and even then I had a really hard time getting all four to click in.
I even called Mareware to ask if there was some sort of secret to getting this thing in there. I mean I wasn't looking for something that was going to permanently attach to the darn thing.

Anyway after finally getting it on I used it for a while, found the ridges in the back at first annoying but after awhile got used to them, they had a little bit of extra grip power, something to grab on to in way. So while I'm not a hug fan of them I could get used to them.

I found all the edges, or clips they use to secure the Ipad in place a little on the sharp side, like they were unfinished in a way. I suppose if I was going to keep this I would sand them down some to round them off some. The more I used it the less I like the feel of these edges and the rim that surrounds the right side of the product, which is another way it holds the ipad in there so tightly. Not sure how the Incipio Feather does it with out the need for these but I think I prefer their system over this one.

The thing I guess that bothers me the most was how difficult it is to get in and out. I like to switch cases every so often and I do not want to spend a lot of time doing it. Also the fact that there is virtually no breathing room what so ever makes having a skin protecter backing impossible unless BSE is unusually thick. I was going to take this off and replace it with a wrapsol which I prefer so I did not mind taking it off. I will try and attach the micro shell after applying and see if it fits, no likely though. Will report back if it does.

It seems about the same weight as the Incipio feather which does not the same system to secure it, no clips, much easier to get in and out, and no rough edges.

Over all I would say this is a good first try but there are way to many drawbacks to this product and I will wait for Incipio to release there Smart cover friendly Feather case and will be returning this to Mareware in short order.

It's really too bad because I waited an awful long time for this. For the wait Mareware sends you a free iphone case, kind of ugly but what the hell right?

More pictures in following posts.

I want to note to my original post that after three emails to MAREWARE regarding my total unhappiness with this case, they have stepped up to the plate and I have to make sure that I leave no impression that I was not totally satisfied with their service. They sent me an email explaining the situation they were up against, confirming the difficulties they were having with this particular case. I for one feel some what vindicated as I found it just so impossible and could not belief that this was they way it was designed, and I was right!

I have posted their response at the bottom of this post.

And while I have since moved on to several other cases for back protection, Speck & Belkin, and did want a replacement for the Micro Shell Mareware did send me an Eco-Vu Case to replace the disaster of a shell I recieved the first time and I really want to have a case like this for meetings and such.

Anyway, if your case is too tight, send them a couple of emails, and you still have not heard back send another, after all its your hard earned money and why should you settle for a defective case or anything less than the best!

Hip gip hooray for Mareware!

Letter from Mareware:

Hello 3Goldens,

First, let me apologize for the delay in response. Ever since the release of the iPad 2 we have been a bit overwhelmed with e-mail and voice mails. We are trying our best to get to them in the order they came in. We normally respond within 72 hours.

We have determined that due to the temperature variances of the mold, some of the cases from the first batch seem to have come out a little tighter. We have resolved this issue and can replace you case with another Microshell that you will not continue to have this problem with. However, you mentioned that you would prefer to have the Eco Vue instead, so we can do that instead. Please let us know.

Additionally, we will need you sales order number to confirm all you information.

Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

3goldens
Apr 22, 2011, 03:58 PM
Some more shots:

3goldens
Apr 22, 2011, 04:05 PM
and some more:

SaintsMac
Apr 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the pics!
As I mentioned in another thread, I received mine today as well.

I agree that it was a chore getting this shell on but I was able to get mine on with the BodyGuardz back protector on. It is very solid and I like the ridges as it allow for a more stable grip.

I would not recommend this shell for someone who likes to switch out cases/covers a lot but would for a person who does not.

I actually like the free phone case. Oh well, to each his own.

kschles
Apr 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Got mine today as well. As the other posts have stated, it's really a chore to get it on. After trying a number of times, I went to the Marware Facebook page (looking for tips). Didn't find any tips, but did see a number of posts from folks who got it on. Finally used a small screwdriver to help stretch that last prong.

The good news is I really like the combination of the Marware Shell and the Smart Cover. Since I just got it, will have to live with it awhile and see how it goes. I also got a Switcheasy Canvas today. It's nice, except for the clasp (others who have this one say the clasp will loosen up in time). Comparing the two (and the Treegloo I had to send back for a replacement), the big difference is the weight of the Marware/Smartcover combo compared to the other two. It's much lighter and I've sort of gotten used to the lightness factor while using just the Smart Cover and waiting for other cases to show up.

Can always put this in a sleeve for traveling. We'll see how it goes, but so far, this is the first case that has put a smile on my face. Prefer this over the others so far, and prefer this combo over using just the Smart Cover alone.

Update, April 25th: As hard as it was to get on, it's also very difficult to get off. As someone who will probably switch out cases from time to time, this limits the usefulness of the Marware Microshell for me.

SaintsMac
Apr 23, 2011, 09:21 AM
After a day of use, I am really liking this combo.
It is light and offers decent protection.
The ridges on the back are nice for providing support while using the iPad.

clyde2801
Apr 23, 2011, 10:13 AM
Nice looking case, but the one or two different one's I've tried have been in the 'close but no cigar' or 'meh' category.

Maybe I'm being a fussy little Mac :censored:, but with the amount of money these accessories cost, I don't want to settle. For that reason, I think I'll tough it out with my smart cover/ghost armor/leather tote combination until something comes out in a brick and mortar store.

The carbon shell by ion looked interesting, but I didn't want to spend $70 on a case and $15 on shipping from China and learn that it had some annoying flaw or problem and couldn't be returned.

EnterTheSwamp
Apr 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
How stable is it when using it in the upright mode? This is my biggest complaint about the smart cover.

SaintsMac
Apr 23, 2011, 08:15 PM
How stable is it when using it in the upright mode? This is my biggest complaint about the smart cover.

It is very stable for me. I tried tapping on it to tip it over and it held up very well in my opinion.

glen e
Apr 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have the shell too...I agree...it was almost impossible to get back off...don't think I'll be putting it back on...stick with my clear xgear...

now for a construction/outdoor site type case this would be killer, it is very rugged looking...I would really like to find a back that somehow allowed you to clip on a stylus...

3goldens
Apr 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
I have decided to keep this on till the feather comes out.

I made a few modifications, sanded down the two clips on right hand of case and finished off the rest of the edges that should have been done by the lazy bastards at Mareware who in their lackadaisical manner made no effort to ensure any semblance of quality in their final product.

It now is easy to get it in and out, no problems or struggling anymore! Still perfectly stable and fits nicely in my old Mophie Workbook for ipad 1.

When the smart feather comes out, I'll put this one up for sale or keep it as a back up. Its not all bad and I have gotten used to the ridges. It really is a nice thing to have when holding in one hand.

SaintsMac
Apr 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
Of course, it goes without saying that the iPad2 will not fit in the iPad dock with the shell on.

Most of you already knew that but I wanted to put it out there for all to consider.

xraydoc
Apr 28, 2011, 07:29 PM
Received mine today. I think I like it, but I'll try it out for a few days to see how it goes. It's a bit heavier than I was expecting, though, making the iPad 2 weigh more like the original iPad. And while the ridges on the back are good for griping when the Smart Cover isn't on, it makes folding the cover over to the back a little awkward.

But at least I don't feel like I'll dent in the back of my iPad. So we'll see how it goes.

doubledown7d
Apr 28, 2011, 08:17 PM
When you buy this case it is comprised of both the back and the smart cover for the front, correct? Is the front cover totally removable or is it attached to the back? Thanks for posting all the great pics and info!

3goldens
Apr 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
When you buy this case it is comprised of both the back and the smart cover for the front, correct? Is the front cover totally removable or is it attached to the back? Thanks for posting all the great pics and info!

no back included.

LushMojo
Apr 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
I noticed your front panel has 4 sections and yet this other thread purportedly shows the same cover, but has 3 segments to the front panel. Am I missing something or are there two versions?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1136747

Some more shots:

silverblack
Apr 29, 2011, 07:27 AM
^^^ Good point. There seems to be two versions of this, one with 3- and the other with 4-panel folding cover. I wonder if they are both from Marware directly, or reseller like Adorama.

LushMojo
Apr 29, 2011, 07:47 AM
^^^ Good point. There seems to be two versions of this, one with 3- and the other with 4-panel folding cover. I wonder if they are both from Marware directly, or reseller like Adorama.

The Mareware site doesn't show a 4-panel cover (at least not that I could find), so I'm wondering if this is a bogus or knock-off version.

bigwinnerx
Apr 29, 2011, 08:38 AM
There are 2 different items.

This is the Microshell only. Just a back cover which allows for a 4 panel Apple smart cover to also be used.

The Microshell Folio (similar name) is a front and back case with 3 panels.

LushMojo
Apr 29, 2011, 08:41 AM
There are 2 different items.

This is the Microshell only. Just a back cover which allows for a 4 panel Apple smart cover to also be used.

The Microshell Folio (similar name) is a front and back case with 3 panels.

Aha, thanks for clearing that up. I'll definitely go with the 3 panel folio rather than Apple's 4 panel smart cover.

bigwinnerx
Apr 29, 2011, 08:44 AM
Retail on the Microshell is $40 US. Microshell Folio is $70 US.

silverblack
Apr 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
Retail on the Microshell is $40 US. Microshell Folio is $70 US.

Thank you for clarifying.

shayosef
May 9, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hi guys,

got my Microshell for the iPad 2 yesterday and im having no luck with getting it off...

i see some have you experienced the same issue, i would appreciate any tips you might have with taking it off without any damage to the iPad.

Thanks

kschles
May 9, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hi guys,

got my Microshell for the iPad 2 yesterday and im having no luck with getting it off...

i see some have you experienced the same issue, i would appreciate any tips you might have with taking it off without any damage to the iPad.

Thanks

I got a towel, put it over one corner, and then used my two thumbs to push on that corner until it came loose. For me the towel (or a similar covering) allowed me to put more pressure on the corner. Decided not to put the Microshell back on.

3goldens
May 9, 2011, 05:29 PM
I got a towel, put it over one corner, and then used my two thumbs to push on that corner until it came loose. For me the towel (or a similar covering) allowed me to put more pressure on the corner. Decided not to put the Microshell back on.

Its a shame one has to go through this kind of trouble to get a case off an Ipad!

shayosef
May 10, 2011, 08:36 AM

Worked liked a charm !

Thank you.

alan111
May 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
Got this case in a few days ago, and I hate it.

It has a VERY tight fit and also removed some of the vinyl from my Wrapsol.
Took me 10 minutes to take it off. Used a cloth over one of the corners and just pushed it off.

The back of the case is very sharp, and feels weird to hold in hand. Needless to say, this case is going back.

I emailed Marware support 3 times and am getting no response.
This case sucks. Do not buy.

3goldens
May 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
People shold really be complaining about this to Mareware! Personally I would like a refund!

alan111
May 13, 2011, 09:17 AM
Got this case in a few days ago, and I hate it.

It has a VERY tight fit and also removed some of the vinyl from my Wrapsol.
Took me 10 minutes to take it off. Used a cloth over one of the corners and just pushed it off.

The back of the case is very sharp, and feels weird to hold in hand. Needless to say, this case is going back.

I emailed Marware support 3 times and am getting no response.
This case sucks. Do not buy.

I'd like to follow up my initial review.

Well, I emailed Marware again and again and still no response. So I decided that since I bought the case and it's just sitting on my desk, I might as well try it out again.

My second impression was quite different.

I actually started to like the case. It's really very slim, and adds a very minute amount of overall weight. The cover works very well, waking and sleeping perfectly. It is very light. What I like the most about the top cover is that it does not leave those vertical lines like the Apple smart cover does.

I ended up removing the Wrapsol from the back because it originally got messed up. I have to say that I'm content with the case and can actually recommend it.

My initial comment regarding removal is the same. This is more of a "permanent" type case, whereby the iPad is not easily removable. This is a great case for those who do not intend on removing the iPad because it's a real b*tch.

3goldens
May 14, 2011, 02:07 AM
See my addendum on the first page. if your not happy contact Mareware for either a refund or another case.

They had a bad run, something wrong with their mold produced overly tight cases, these were the ones initially send out.

After several emails they did finally get back to me, big apology and explanation. good for the, I thought, honorable thing to do with their unhappy customers!

They send me an Eco-vu since I have more than enough shells now!